Orange camo blind
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
PublicLandHunter 14-Feb-18
TT-Pi 14-Feb-18
Will 15-Feb-18
TT-Pi 15-Feb-18
14-Feb-18
So, as I drove home from romancing my wife for this holiday, I thought about the concept of camo, our misconceptions about it, and the fact that orange isn't in a deer's color spectrum of sight.

So, my idea was create a sheet of plywood or even cloth 4' X 6' and paint it orange, then put it up weeks/months before the season starts in a high travel area. Wear orange and put orange tape on my weapon. Orange on orange movement is basically hidden within the blaze camo setup.

Has anyone tried anything similar, and with any luck?

14-Feb-18
Interesting idea and line of thinking. If it works then the thieves will be swiping our plywood next.

Maybe we could paint the trees orange too .

I like the idea of mirror Plexiglas , like a ghost blind but mobile , perhaps with wheels .

15-Feb-18
I like the idea - my only concern would be giving the spot away to others... then again, folks may think it's a paintballer and just avoid the area. So... come to think of it - TRY IT!

Pi - I love the look of the ghost blind. Pretty cool idea! Have you played with one?

15-Feb-18
Will , no , I haven't but I have made several camo shields.

I was looking into making one ( a mirror blind) before I moved. I like the idea of a mobile shield for ground hunting . I am really interested in making some fixed panels on adjustable arms that would be used in a stand to cover the flanks . (Take the blob image out of the tree .) Just a few 2'x5' panels ( shaped edges) with a simple metal frame and hinges like bow holders only bigger. I see it as one or two wing sections that can be adjusted with gaps for shooting through. Breaking up the lump is as good as hiding in cover . It doesn't take much to reflect the surroundings.

I'de like to try a cheap mirror in a ladder stand first to get the angle correct . probably about 30 degrees from verticle at 20-30 yards .

I knew an old timer that welded several short pipes on his stand edges at some such angle to stick branches in . ( nest style ) That is good too but both would be awesome I think.

• Sitka Gear