Eastie778 16-Feb-18
huntskifishcook 16-Feb-18
Eastie778 17-Feb-18
hickstick 17-Feb-18
peterk1234 17-Feb-18
huntskifishcook 17-Feb-18
15-Feb-18

peterk1234's Link
I couldn't wait. I have spent hours reading through threads on saddlehunter.com, trying to come up with a system. So I purchased a sitdrag (http://www.sitdrag.com/home.html) and a rock climbing harness and started to do some sewing. I also purchased some static 11mm rope and amsteel, and figured out how to eye splice my tether, lineman's belt and bridge.

I bought a couple of Wild Edge Steps and started to play around with them. Then I made a whoopie sling and tested it out as an aider. This cut the number of Steps needed to climb in half. I liked the steps and ordered eight more. They came today. So here is how I am getting up the tree. This was only my second time ever trying it and I purposely climbed a tree that I knew would be troublesome because the bark is bulky and soft. Despite the lack of experience and pain in the ass bark, it did not take long at all.

I have everything on me to set up and hang, other than my platform.

15-Feb-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
This has my test bridge on it. Too short and the bury was sloppy. Final version was nice and clean with long buries and only one side was lock stitched (brummel splice on other end).
This has my test bridge on it. Too short and the bury was sloppy. Final version was nice and clean with long buries and only one side was lock stitched (brummel splice on other end).
Here is my modified sitdrag..... Top pic has the final version of the bridge (longer and with nice neat splices).

15-Feb-18

So here is my DIY platform. They work great. I have had them in a tree for two weeks. It has been in near zero temps, rain and snow. No issues. Very comfortable. I ordered a bunch more so I can set up some semi-permanent platforms.

15-Feb-18

The whoopie sling.............. The S-hook was temporary, just for testing. I am using a carabiner. Wicked strong amsteel and this thing packs down to nothing. It is fully adjustable.

15-Feb-18

I made a soft shackle to attach my lineman's to the harness. Less metal, quiet but removable so I have a spare tether, just in case. Eye splice in linemine's, as well as tether. This way I ended up with no bulky knots that are harder to pack and get caught on things.

I ended up using a Black Diamond BOD and sewed webbing to it, forming loops on both ends for a lineman's. Works great.

BTW, the Speedy Stitcher is da bomb.

15-Feb-18
Nice work! I suckered my fiance into getting me an aerohunter for my birthday. I'd end up with a broken neck if I had to stitch up my own like you did.

16-Feb-18

16-Feb-18
Very cool, I like the loop sewing, and the platform looks great! I ordered the bullman outdoors steps and didn't like them. I think they would be fine except that I'm tipping the scales at about 230 at 6 ft, and they tended to move on me too much. I got the muddy aerolite sticks because they have dual steps on each side, probably going to use the top step for a platform. Looks like a great set up!

16-Feb-18
Eastie, are those muddy sticks basically identical to the lone wolf's, but with 2 steps on either side? And it has the little button in front to make hanging them easier?

17-Feb-18
Yeah, pretty much the same as the lonewolf, with a dark gray powder coat. They weight about 9 lbs total, I added some camo tape and the footloop from tabular webbing to add a couple of feet of climbing height per stick. I figured the less I have to carry the better. The plan for me this season is to be mobile at all times, just walk in and hunt, and adjust quickly. I tend to hang on to areas too long.

17-Feb-18
Guess you don't need my help anymore Peter. Lol. Looks like you're set.

The next step is shooting multiple angles from it.

17-Feb-18
hickstick, you did help. I found some of your posts on saddlehunter, including your use of the whoopie sling :)

I am just about to head out in my yard to climb a tree with the setup and a bow.

17-Feb-18
Thanks Eastie. I'm planning the same. I was mobile all last season with the climber, but I didn't like being limited to straight, mostly limbless trees.

• Sitka Gear