Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
awalk228 16-Feb-18
mboudreau 16-Feb-18
huntskifishcook 16-Feb-18
xi 16-Feb-18
Moons22 16-Feb-18
16-Feb-18
I remember this being a good thread last year, and I want to get into it more this year. I'm always in the woods between Turkey hunting and fishing. For all you that have done it and are doing it, whats the best book in your opinion for identifying the right shrooms? And did how many times did you go with someone before you felt comfortable enough to choose the right ones on your own? I really don't want to hallucinate or die!

16-Feb-18
amazon has a bunch of field guides for the northeast mushrooms. The good ones and the very bad ones. Dont know if Barnes and Nobel still sells books....

16-Feb-18
I've got a book made, I think, by Falcon Guides, about foraging mushrooms of Maine. It'll basically work for all of New England though. I was fortunate to become buddies with a dude while I was in culinary school who foraged for a living and he taught me a few mainstays for our area, which I basically stick to even today. A few shrooms that are out during deer season are chicken of the woods and hen of the woods, neither have dangerous look a likes that I'm aware of. My absolute favorites are chanterelles, which you can find in the middle of summer and their bright orangy yellow color makes them pretty easy to spot. They do have a non-edible look a like, but if you bring a picture along with you the gill structure underneath the shroom is a dead giveaway. Morels are out during turkey season, but those little bastards are hard to find.

16-Feb-18
Mushrooms, it's syrup season. Finally found some Morels last year. Two things for this spring , maple glazed venison with mushrooms and smoked Turkey breast with a maple mushroom sauce.

16-Feb-18
Ham steak cooked in maple bourbon whiskey. Try it. You'll love it

• Sitka Gear