Wachusett 19-Feb-18
peterk1234 24-Feb-18
Proline 25-Feb-18
peterk1234 25-Feb-18
DeanMan 25-Feb-18
Will 26-Feb-18
Proline 26-Feb-18
19-Feb-18
Figured I would check out a new area today. So the dog and I spent three hours walking through the thickest wettest stuff we could find. Low and behold we kick up at least 8 deer all grouped together. Man, these guys and gals were way in there, unbelievable. The thing is, I am yet to find any obvious routes leading into this area, never mind any rubs or scrapes. There are just a million ways for them to get in and out of there.

Well at least I know now there are actually deer in zone 9. They are just a hell of a lot smarter than me.

19-Feb-18
Peter, if you cut lanes in and out of there (intersecting lanes, etc.) within a month the deer will start using them. Head back I there in May and cut up some lanes. Be sure they intersect near whatever tree you may put a stand in.

19-Feb-18
Very true. Lot of mountain laurel out my way and whenever I cut a trail through the thick stuff, the deer and moose follow.

24-Feb-18
Scouted new spot number two today, a piece of DCR land. I marked some high ground using topo on my computer, then went searching for it. There was a bit of wetland on one low side and the other side of this spot was just thick with small trees and heavy brush. Well, I have never seen so much deer scat as I have today. Almost every ten feet I would see some, and plenty of it fresh. Even found fresh scrapes. The high point had plenty of openings to set up. Now I need to plot a way in so I don't get winded; and select a few tree options. Learning much, even only after a few hikes. So far my success sightings seem to be in a swamp and steep pitched high areas. I am not sure if they are bedding in these highs spots, but given all the droppings, they are certainly spending plenty of time there.

I have yet to find a rub line though. Found a couple rubs today, one small tree had it on both sides (good sign I think), but that's it. Rubs just seem random.

25-Feb-18
I don't worry much about rubs. Sure they are nice to have around but I like being where the does are in November. The piece of property we hunt has very few rubs in it and every year someone shoots a good buck. If you find an area riddled with deer scat that should be telling you something.......deer often poop when they rise from beds so an area with a ton of it worth watching.

25-Feb-18
Proline, should I be setting up in the area with a lot of poop (actually quite open), or plan to find trees that are 50 yards or so away from the area? I can easily get in there.

25-Feb-18
Pete, find a edge of that open area Your talking about with all the droppings. Start setting cams on the edge.

26-Feb-18
Ditto Deanman.

26-Feb-18
I like to setup far enough away that you don't spoke them going in. Typically this is 75 to 100. I try to get as close as possible because in the evenings they sometimes don't get up until that last half hour and may not make it to you. Sometimes get stuck in my tree until after legal waiting for them to clear.. Lot of fun if you found a bedding area that is used frequently. I have a tree near a bedding area that is used frequently and when I hunt that tree I see deer just about every evening.

• Sitka Gear