Belchertown Bowman 20-Feb-18
Proline 20-Feb-18
MaBow 20-Feb-18
Will 20-Feb-18
notme 20-Feb-18
19-Feb-18

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
So folks,.. I have an old black lite, the UV thing from back in the 70,.. 80's days,.. Now in some of my reading I have read deer have really good UV vision,..

So I took the black lite UV gizmo out and scanned all my gear,.. from gun strap to clothing,.. here is the photo/video results,.. it actually surprised me,..

If you are concerned about that UV stuff check these pics out..

Mind you ,.. This is my hunting container,.. a big ass plastic (walmart) container that holds all my hunting clothes,.... for the most part you cannot even see any of my hunting clothing,.. there are only a few things under black light that stand out like a street light!!! My Hunters Orange,..!!!

Now I am not dissing hunters orange,.. I am just sharing my UV experience,..

Check it out as best i can post it,.. might take a few posts..

19-Feb-18

duplicate post

19-Feb-18

19-Feb-18

19-Feb-18

Of all m clothes,.. only the hunters orange glows ?

19-Feb-18

19-Feb-18

So in ending ,.. my experience is beware of the hunter orange or treat it,.. Seriously all my gear is dark in UV but my hunters orange stands out like a stop sign?

I will test out treating it this summer,.. but am not thinking that will work,..

19-Feb-18
Interesting BB. I'd be really curious how it looks if you do use UVKiller - since I've spent money on it every year for a long time, and always suspect it's like scent killer, and I'm just wasting my 20~ bucks :) ha ha ha!

19-Feb-18
I think it was in dnd mag years ago that said the states knew orange was visible to deer but the most visible to humans..id like to see what break up orange looks like under a black light,probably blocks of orange judging by your test..i take my pumpkin vest off and either tie it off above me or toss it on a nieghboring branch, this way if the deer get skiddish they focus on the vest and not me..

20-Feb-18
It is amazing to me that everything else is perfectly unseen in UV. That is my hunting room and I scanned around on every dang thing I own and the only thing that lit up was the hunters orange hat and vest. They were blinding in the UV light!

I guess next i need to research more about that deer UV thing. If that is true I will be buying the UV spray for sure.

Will ,.. next time we meet at Dunkin, bring the spray and we can test it?

One thing I can say is if you are using UV killer spray,.. concentrate on the hunters orange seems like all my other clothing had no UV,..

Lastly,.. if you are not using UV spray on your hunters orange,.. well this has made me seriously rethink that!

I will probably hit R&R in the next day or so for the spray to test it.

Notme,.. I do the same thing,.. I take off the orange and drap it over a branch near me,.. usually higher and even more visible than if I was wearing it.

20-Feb-18
I don’t worry about it. I bow hunt and don’t need it :-) on the few times in gun hunt I haven’t had it an issue. Have had many deer within ten yards of me and paid no attention

20-Feb-18
My recommendation is to not hunt under a black light!

20-Feb-18
This is intriguing to me. My suspicion, is that critters can see deeper into the UV spectrum than we can, but that - in the presence of other natural light that's minimally important. It may be a factor during low light periods to a greater degree.

But overall, I dont know enough about deer vision to understand how this works. I'm just an insecure enough hunter that Ill try stuff like that for confidence, and the off chance that it may work :)... Sort of like scent killer which I use as well.

20-Feb-18
I used to be obsessed with scent and uv and all that gobbeldie goop...maybe if i was hunting the big woods of maine but here where the deer are easily conditioned and naturaly curious i dont think it matters much...movement on stand and something in front of my face i think is more important..most of the places i hunt have so many people and smells around i dont over think it..ill leave a sweaty t shirt by my stand so the deer get used to it..shit i shot a doe last year while i was eating egg rolls..lol

• Sitka Gear