Bownarrow 19-Feb-18
Bownarrow 20-Feb-18
RobinHood 21-Feb-18
SBH 21-Feb-18
Riplip 21-Feb-18
Bownarrow 21-Feb-18
Hunter42 26-Feb-18
19-Feb-18
If you were a non-resident with 3 MT Bonus points looking for an Archery hunt with a good population of elk and the chance at a 320 inch bull, where would you go? I don't like grizzly bears, although I have spent plenty of time around them (Kodiak)-so ideally avoiding griz is part of the plan. I appreciate any input.

20-Feb-18
Just to kind of help percolate some conversation, I was thinking something like: Bow: I would go to the snowies HD 411 in sully gulch. Coordinates 4.1111W 29.345N There is a 6 X 6 bull tied up on a tree waiting for you, and my wife will cook you a steak with great wine after, being as us Montanans love you midwestern guys hunting our great state…. Or Missouri Breaks. Forget 621 and the north units though. SouthWest Units and be there Sept. 16-23. Leave the Hoochie Mama at home. These bulls are smart to your pansy ways and only respond to Carlton reed calls. Now you guys try. I won't even be offended if you don't provide good wine with the meal. (Just joking guys…have to have a little fun when everyone is tight lipped; )

21-Feb-18
I’m a proud Montanan who loves this state and as much as anyone, likes to keep my honey-holes to myself. I’d like to help, just don’t know of any current information on an area that fits your criteria and am too damn old to be out exploring new ones. However, I enjoy your sense of humor, I haven’t hunted it in 7-8 years but the area north of White Sulphur Springs use to have some larger elk; I imagine it still does. The terrain can be thick woods, steep and as with most areas, near roads is usually crowded, but we did come across a nice 7x7 (400 plus or minus) and several 300 class bulls there. Come on guys, help the “kid” out. As he said, you don’t have to tell him which tree the elk is tied to, but you can give him a couple HD’s or a general area to explore. From there, he needs to put in the work. Who knows, you just might gain a new hunting buddy and friend for life!

RobinHood..............

21-Feb-18
The breaks Definitely have the caliber of bull you are after. I don't know the odds you would be facing to draw over there. A 320" bull on public ground in MT is legit, they are not a dime a dozen so thats not an easy task. They are around no doubt. Hell you could just come hunt south of Bozeman towards big sky, you have those kinds of bulls in there but then there are grizzly too. I would say stay east to avoid the bears, find a unit over that way that you can draw and go for gold. GOOD LUCK!

21-Feb-18
Check out the 900-20 archery tag, gives you over 20 districts to choose from most of which is outside of prime griz territory (although check the range maps). Roughly 90% chance of drawing with 3 points. If not plenty of good General Units. Good luck!

21-Feb-18
Great info guys. I really appreciate the responses and if I get lucky and draw I'll report back with how the hunt went. Hope you guys draw the tags you want and have a wonderful fall. Kelly

26-Feb-18
I agree 900-20 gives you a lot of good options

• Sitka Gear