DeerBuilder.com
Funny Maple Syruping Tale
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Will 20-Feb-18
BruceP 20-Feb-18
huntskifishcook 20-Feb-18
20-Feb-18
Number one - thank you to all of you who have offered up help. This has been fun, and we are still at it. I'm excited to do it again next year with more knowledge for sure.

So last night Jeb and Muzzy and someone - was that FK or HFSC? - gave me feedback on why my boil was cloudy. Much happier to know that it was just "sugar sand" and, to understand how to use the filter that came with my stuff. In the end, the filter worked and most of the cloud was removed.

Here's the funny part.

the first part of the boil ended around dinner. The kids approved of the flavor as did I, but it seemed a smidge light in color and syrupiness for lack of a better word. So, genius over here decided, as the second half of the boil was getting close to the end, that I should put in the stuff from the first boil to "finish it off". That was working, till I almost forgot about it. I walked over, nervous, to a pot of boiling foam! No liquid I could see.. So, I did the only thing I could think of - added some filtered water. Boiled a little longer and strained the syrup.

This strategy may be really bad- I dont know. But it "worked" in the sense that the syrup is yummy and does not taste burned.

But, it cracked me up that I'd been cautious all day and then did that. Ha! Almost had hard maple candy burned to the pot!

Learning... It's not always clean is it :)

20-Feb-18
If it tastes good then you did it correctly. Of course this is coming from a guy who knows nothing about making maple syrup, but would probably drink it as a beverage...

20-Feb-18
I agree, if it tastes good, then it's all good. I had a similar experience last year. I really over reduced a huge batch of sap. To the point that when I found it, it was black and super thick like molasses. I figured it was scorched and would taste nasty, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted delicious. It had the slightly bitter hint of molasses, but was much smoother and sweeter. I dubbed it maple molasses. I made a big batch of BBQ sauce with the stuff and it was some of the best sauce I've ever made. The rest of it crystalized after a few days, so I blasted it in the food processor and we used it as a sugar substitute for waffles and pancakes.

• Sitka Gear