Swampy 22-Feb-18
Upnorth 22-Feb-18
bowhuntndoug 24-Feb-18
casekiska 24-Feb-18
Mike F 27-Feb-18
Jeff in MN 27-Feb-18
20-Feb-18

Jeff in MN's Link
I just stumbled across this post on facebook (see the provided link). It is a WBH sponsored essay contest on why a kid wants to participate in the bear hunt they provide. Prize is a bear tag and hunt. It is a great thing they do, unless I missed it here too bad it did not come up sooner because the deadline to apply was 5 days ago.

20-Feb-18
I wonder if its a donated tag? because the DNR had or still has a learn to bear hunt program where I have seen adults participate.

20-Feb-18
MF - It's the tag the WBH gets from the DNR.

20-Feb-18
We have a LTH Bear Hunt at the Bill Cook Chapter IWLA in Stevens Point. I don't know how to post the application here. Here are the qualifications - 1 - Must be between the ages of 10 - 17. 2 - Must be a novice hunter - Cannot have received a transfer permit or kill tag before. 3 - Must write a 250 word (or more) essay on why you would like to bear hunt and why you would like to receive this permit. 4 - Must meet all of the DNR requirements to be able to receive a transferred harvest permit. 5 - Parent(s) and or Guardians must be willing to participate in the program along with the youth throughout the baiting and Hunting season. 6 - Must be a member of IWLA, either a Youth member or part of a Family Membership. The Chapter covers the cost of the membership.

If anyone is interested in getting the application send me a PM. Thanks,

20-Feb-18
Is this a program through the DNR that perhaps the WTA could get a tag also?

20-Feb-18
The WBH has been doing this now for close to a decade. The program is pretty much administered by WBH Secretary Rich Kirchmeyer from Prentice who has property, a cabin, and baits for the hunt.

Rich could provide additional details but I think other kids are also involved, as well as the parents (some have filmed the hunts). Rich coaches the kids and provides a complete hunt and learn-to-hunt experience for them. There is an orientation day when a DNR wildlife biologist, a firearms safety instructor, and a person who instructs them on how to hunt with hounds, and a person who instructs for bait hunting, and a warden informing them on the regulations regarding bear hunting are all present and offer input. The kids go to baited stands and safety is paramount for all at all times.

This is regarded by the WBH as a LTH (Learn To Hunt) program. To get to go a youngster must apply, fill out the application, and write an essay, and then send them to the WBH office. In the past anywhere from one to eight kids have applied during a single year, so any individual youngster has a good chance of winning. Although the program application period for 2018 is now closed, it would be good to keep this in mind for next year. Who knows, maybe that youngster you know could win a bear hunt. One thing is certain, if they don't apply we'll never know!

If anyone needs further information on this, feel free to call the WBH office at (715) 823-4670.

20-Feb-18

Mike F's Link
Here is a link to the Wisconsin Conservation Congress 2018 LTH Bear Application. The due date is April 25, 2018

20-Feb-18

Mike F's Link
GVS - Here is a link to more information on how to get a tag. The WTA or any other group could also get a tag donated and take a young hunter, Purple Heart Veteran or any other eligible person on a bear hunt. There are 70 tags available through the DNR LTH Bear program.

22-Feb-18
Just another thing WBH does for you .

22-Feb-18
What does WBH stand for? Wanted Bow Hunters? I thought that org died out when the Cross Bow came on the scene?

24-Feb-18
My daughter was chosen last year. It was an amazing experience and Rich made this experience one we will never forget. The WBH is a great organization and this is a wonderful opportunity for kids. My family can’t thank Rich enough, as my daughter still brings up how much fun it was. On New Years, we all say our best 3 memories of the year and bear hunting was on her list. Sorry Rich - her boyfriend was number 1.

24-Feb-18
bowhuntndoug - glad to hear your daughter was chosen last year and the experience was such a memorable event for her and the family. So often, negativity rears it head on these forums it is good to read a positive post. Good to hear too this was the result of a WBH sponsored program, right on!

27-Feb-18

Mike F's Link
We finally got our web page fixed. Here is the link to the Ike's Youth Bear Hunt Application. To download the application go to the bottom of the page.

27-Feb-18
Thanks Mike, PM sent.

• Sitka Gear