Mathews Inc.
How Long do Sheds Last??
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
HWM 21-Feb-18
Will 21-Feb-18
spike78 22-Feb-18
21-Feb-18
Just curious to hear from the gang, how long do sheds last before they are chewed up by the critters???

21-Feb-18
Depends. I found one last fall in Oct scouting, the beam was chewed and all the tines were off it. Most of the ones I've found during the winter were in good shape. Looked like the were still on the deer :). By late March/April they start looking weathered in my experience and may have some chewing. By Turkey season they seem to be gnawed on.

I would think most of the time, they are toast by the following season... Though I found a dead head one year during the season that had to be from the previous year - no lower jaw, skull CLEAN, antlers stained by the oak leaves but also bleached by the sun where they were exposed. Not a chew mark on the antlers amazingly.

Those experiences are what I've seen - but are certainly not universal or scientific in any way... just my observations.

22-Feb-18
I found two sheds from last year and one was chewed quite abit and the other was near mint condition so no sure answer.

• Sitka Gear