hickstick 09-Apr-18
bowandspear 09-Apr-18
hickstick 09-Apr-18
bowandspear 09-Apr-18
xi 09-Apr-18
xi 09-Apr-18
Moons22 09-Apr-18
23-Feb-18
Getting close guys! I was thinking about it today and I realized I have no idea how to hunt turkey's. I know deer live in the woods, but I would never wander into the woods, set up in a random tree and hope for the best. But that is exactly how I have been half assing my turkey hunting the past few years. Random field edge, set decoys, call.....hope for the best. I was lucky enough to call in a couple birds last year, but I'm hoping for much better results this year.

So what are you guys doing to get on birds in the spring? Any particular features in fields, clear cuts, or maybe wooded areas you key in on? Favorable roosting habitat? Calls you find most effective?

23-Feb-18
HFC, you gotta know the birds are there. Find em before the season and keep an eye on them. The day before you're gonna hunt go see if you can get them to roost close. I usually run two hen decoys, and either a jake or tom. I usually let them gobble in the roost before I start calling. With two hen decoys I wanna sound like 2 different hens. I'll move to different parts of the field and call (while the tom is roosted obviously and out of sight). say a mouth call at one spot and the box or slate at another spot. Now he knows there is 2 different birds. If they are there they usually come in. Don't over call !

I also dabbled with that scoot n shoot thing. It worked. Me and my buddy crawled across a field behind that thing and killed 2 birds. Really fun! I love turkey season just gotta be hunting where there are turkeys! Good luck man.

23-Feb-18
What Moons said. Keep in mind that they're going to roost in the highest trees in the area. I don't mean tallest, I mean trees on top of the highest hill or elevated position in the respective area. It's really easy to pattern them if you can just find where they're at, you can just about set your watch to them (give or take 15 min).

If you're bow hunting, get a blind. Their eyesight is crazy good so gillie suits aren't going to do anything for you, the can see your eyes blink.

If you decide to go with a mouth call, a lot of hunters try and perfect their clucking, but try using it in the field too early. You have to be REALLY good at clucking with a mouth call otherwise you sound like your barking of sorts (it's the only way I have to describe the sound), you make a "POCK-POCK" sound. Which...is incredibly similar to an actual call that turkeys make that is a warning. Loosely translated it means "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! WHATEVER IS HERE IS BAD!! RUN AWAY!!!"

So there's that. Like Moons recommended, I would get a slate and or box call. They're easy to use. Anyhow, if they bust you, give them a day or two and they'll be right back to what they were doing (paths they were taking) before.

Finally, I can't recommend decoys enough. Tom's are f-ing hilarious when they're hitting on a hen decoy. You can hear them all "Hey girl! Wus up! You hang out around here? I just got back from the gym and was gonna go grab a latte. You in?!" Conversely when they're pissed at a Tom decoy, it's equally hilarious "What's up BRO!! YOU WANT SOME OF THIS.....BRO!!!! I will F you up!! My dad owns a dealership BRO!!"

It's fun, finding them is literally 90% of it. They're so easy to pattern.

If you have trouble finding them, ask around, there's always someone who has a flock coming through their yard twice a day, and I guarantee that homeowner wants them dead.

23-Feb-18
I'm a semi lazy turkey hunter. I scout via other activities: when I mountain bike or trail run or fish or walk with the kids or during deer season the fall prior. Like deer, I've found woods turkeys sort of cycle through an area. For example, I have not been to my A turkey spot since a couple weeks before xmas dropping off venison for the landowner. But I'd bet a grand that opening day of turkey season I know where the birds will be roosting. They are that consistent. Take it even further, if by miracle they are not in that clump of white pines near the top of the hill (as noted in Sosso's post), I can tell you the three other spots on their land where they will roost. That's years and years of watching birds in that area.

But, what's cool, and this is the deer like part... They will be in a certain clump of trees every day for a week or close to that, then they move and may be .25 miles away on the other side of the land. I see that all the time, they cycle from one section to another over the course of a few weeks.

Get up early the week or two pre season a few times a week, and owl hoot about 50-30' prior to sunrise (avoid turkey calls so you are not educating birds) in many locations. You will hear gobbles in response and can note rough locations. You can bet those birds will be pretty close to there on the opener.

Ill agree on the slate like calls. My preference is a glass call (a "slate" looking call using glass vs slate). Learn to use that, and maybe get a diaphragm too, but expect to need lots of practice with the mouth call. Primos used to make a glass call which strapped to your thigh, it's my favorite call and on my leg for every hunt. If you can find one, get it. You can use it when in position for a shot, with minimal motion which is huge.

Set up with a tree as wide as you behind you if at all possible for safety. If you use dekes, set em up facing you or slightly angled to the side. Birds like to come in behind the dekes or from the sides. But this helps you see anyone stalking.

That device Moons noted looks cool as hell, but feels like a great way to get #6's to the face to. I just have trust issues I guess :). My suggestion there would be only using that if you KNOW the area is all you and no other hunters are anywhere near by.

Try as hard as you can to set up slightly down hill or level to birds if on a hill. I have no idea why, but it seems harder to call birds up hill than down or across.

Try to anticipate the landscape - for example, turkey's will walk down along a stone wall 80 yds to a gap, cross, then walk back up to where they were but 4 feet over, on the other side of the wall. it's crazy. But, look at where you are, and if there is a funnel via terrain or walls etc, expect the birds to use it.

Do not overcall. It's just experience, to feel out what turkeys moods are and match your calling to them. But you generally are better calling to little than to much. Sometimes ill literally use a timer on a watch to intentionally call no more often than every 10 or 20'. It's brutal... but works.

Do not expect them to gobble the whole way in... sometimes they will gobble a few times, then you wont hear em again, they just appear in front of you.

If you are not bowhunting, cover ground looking for hot birds. Dont get married to a spot, move until you are on em.

Assume any hen you hear calling is a hunter until you visually see the hen. Safety first.

this is a topic that you could go on and on with. If you are bowhunting em, i hope Jrdeerslayer or taz see this, those guys have shot LOTS of turkeys with a bow from a blind (and with guns as well)...

23-Feb-18
HFC your third sentence just outlined the entire strategy for my life.

23-Feb-18
Super nice thanks all,...

23-Feb-18
Good stuff guys!

Moons, the two calls makes alot of sense. If I were going to a party I'd prefer there to be more than one girl there also;)

Jeb, that's hilarious.

I had no idea they keyed in on high spots like that. I've got a few spots already coming to mind. And I'll be out there with the bow. I used a couple different mouth calls last year. I kept them in my car for a couple months prior to the season opening and would practice whenever I was in the car. Not sure if I was good, but I had one come in on a string while hunting "run n' gun" style with the bow on opening day. He gobbled every 15 seconds for a few minutes coming up over this hill. I scrambled to get myself hidden in some brush. I had just had my bow restrung for the first time and like an idiot I assumed it would shoot the same. He popped out at 20 yards and I got all feathers. I'm definitely going to get out to locate some birds prior to the season. I have a crow call will that work as a locator?

24-Feb-18
Never used a crow call for Turkeys. I've used them for Coyotes to some success which makes me think that a crow call may actually keep them away.

24-Feb-18
I have crow call, but rarely use it. It some times works, but I have a lot less luck with that than owl hooting. Once they are on the ground and I'm trying to locate a bird, Ill use a loud cackle, and that tends to work well.

I've heard of folks using dog whistles with good luck... And a few times, when my truck door closed to hard, that did the trick as well! Ha ha ha!

26-Feb-18
I've been lucky enough that the spot I hunt has held turkeys every spring for as long as I can remember, except for one year where it was cold up into like June. Its got a seasonal creek, a swamp, some ridges and good roosting trees. They are always in one of two areas in the area as well. Going through my turkey stuff tonight I didn't realize how much crap I have. But in all honesty its probably a good thing. Sometimes if they aren't responding to one box call, they will if I switch to another and same with mouth calls (different pitches and rasp). A trick I like to use is call to them like 3 or 4 times if they are responding and then shut up even if they are still gobbling. More often then not they got anxious and come to see what happened to their lady. I only use a single hen decoy because I've actually had toms get spooked by my half strut jake decoy which was surprising. On a side note I use a jake and hen decoy in Texas and the toms absolutely lose their shit on the jake and beat the crap out of it and It's so much fun to watch.

27-Feb-18
find the birds on the roost and move in, or run and gun after... I only gun hunt turkeys. I chase them all over the Berkshire ridges. I love it! I like to just take big walks and call frequently. I do this in spots I know, or just random pieces.

27-Feb-18
Ungie, our turkey hunting strategies suggest we are "Brothers from another mother" so to speak :). ha ha ha. I think Spike is a "sibling" as well.

28-Feb-18

Ungie01201's embedded Photo
I love turkey hunting... After bowhunting deer, this is my favorite... Last year was a success in MA & NY! Will, you and I and spike are gonna make it happen again this year! Run n' Gun!

28-Feb-18
I usually only bring 2 mouth calls... different sounds and just in case one tears. Sometimes, If I plan on sitting a bit for an ambush I'll bring the slate or box.

28-Feb-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Ungie those are some beauties!! Here are a few from last year. I cant wait! My buddy killed the most beautiful bird for his first ever. Really blonde!

28-Feb-18

nice Moons! I love spring turkey pics. I really like the over the shoulder pics...

28-Feb-18
I use a blind on the edge of a field where I know they spend time. Some mornings they're roosted right by the field. Other mornings, I can hear them quite a ways away. In both instances, I go in in the dark and set my decoys about 10 - 12 yards from the blind. Then, at first light I'll make some gobbles... preferably gobbling back at toms I can hear. If they're near my field, they'll normally fly down into it, and then work their way to the decoys. If they aren't near my field, I settle in and wait for them to get there. Once they see the decoys, they usually come right in. One of my buddies attaches a string to his decoy so he can tug on the string and make it move to seem more life-like. Another friend uses a jake decoy with a hen decoy with a lot of success.

28-Feb-18
Beautiful birds guys!

28-Feb-18
I don't know Will and Ungie I've been on a slump as of late. I went four successful years then bam I hit a wall where every bird flew down and went the other way henned up. I do however have a new spot or two this year and I'm hoping one in particular has no other hunters.

28-Feb-18

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Here's last years... This was a total run and gun. Hunted about 4 spots that morning - and I was heading home with him in the truck by 8AM :)!

28-Feb-18
Will or anyone can you explain run and gun in a bit more detail? First year trying T hunting. What is the typical pattern/outline of what your doing?

I thought they we so sharp on vision that any movement screwed ya?

01-Mar-18
BB, They are freakishly visually aware. But like deer, also good at association. Well, for an animal with a brain the size of a #2 pencil eraser :). That's why they will stand at your birdfeeder or the back of your car while you walk by, but in the woods, if you can be seen and move a smidge, they have you and exit stage right.

I'm thinking, that Ungie and Spike think of run and gun as I do.

You know where you are likely to start hunting on a given day. That may be due to roosting birds the night prior or just knowing the area - for me it's always the latter, I dont have time to get out the night prior to often.

Now you go to that spot in the AM. In many areas, I wont unpack gear. Ill just park, get out of the truck, and listen for 5-10' (pending how late in the AM it is - I like starting 1hr prior to sunrise) If I dont hear any gobbles, Ill owl hoot. If I get a gobble in a huntable area, I move on it and try to set up and hunt the bird. If not, I drive off and try the next spot. Park, owl hoot. Same process is followed if I hear a gobble or not. Ill do that until I get a gobble.

If I dont, and I feel like walking, Ill park in an area I know has several groups of birds and Ill start walking. Every .25 miles or so Ill hoot if it's close to sunrise or cackle if it's later. If I get a response (gobble) Ill move to a good set up and hunt the bird.

Here is an example from a few years ago.

I parked at one spot anticipating birds roosted NE of me on a ridge. I close the truck door only to discover they roosted over the parking spot and flew off in the gloaming light. Crap. I drove to spot 2, got a bird going in a tough area. Didnt have confidence I could pull him off this area based on past experience, but he was hot to trot so gave I tried. Worked him for about 75' and experience told me to bail and try one more spot. I took a tip from JRdeerslayer, checked a spot I'd not hunted yet that year, got a gobble, but with no parking. Drove a half mile to legal land, parked. Literally ran up the hill (it's a long triangle of DCR land) until I felt I was in the area. Called lightly, turkey gobbled, I cautiously tweaked position and 5' later killed a bird.

So, it's not that you are walking around, almost stalking. That to me is dangerous with turkey hunting. I just have zero fun doing the "sit and call whether you have gobbles or not" approach. It's the gobbling and a hot bird that I love. So... Effective as other approaches or not, it's the style that I've grown into and enjoy.

Some days I may walk several miles of woods rather than driving all over. Some days I may do both. Some days I may barely walk at all, drive, bird, walk 300yds into the woods to set up, bird comes in or not, I leave :).

I know a lot of guys who kill more birds than I do with a lot of attention to roosting em the night prior, super early in the dark set ups etc... I'm confident that's likely the best way. I do enough of that level of effort deer hunting :). Turkeys are just more relaxed and fun for me... Plus, when you hike all over creation, it's awesome scouting for next fall.

01-Mar-18

Will nailed it.. and to add to his points, if I may... When I work a bird like Will did for 75' or so and can still stay in the woods (dang work interferes sometime) i'll make several moves on that bird if need be. If I can't see him or I can sense he is henned up out of sight I will sometimes use the terrain and try to slip up about him or get to another angle and swap mouth calls, etc and try it again... sometimes this helps. Sometimes they bust me and i'm burnt... either way, it's a fun interaction. I have moved in on big toms multiple times in a hunt and it has definitely paid off and I wound up carrying a big old tom out of the woods with me. Having said that, it's awesome when it works out, but ordinarily, that old gobbler wins. I never stalk turkeys or still hunt them... If I can get an answer, I will do everything in my power to set up and call the bird in given I can hunt the land he is on.

Last year I walked in from my truck and busted a flock.. looked like some jakes and hens, but couldn't tell. I went up above and away from where they went several hundred yards.. calling all the way. Nothing... I got up above a field on the mountain side and called and had an instant gobble down below me from where I came from. I set up a couple of times in the woods. The tom was hot and hammering back to every call I made. He was in the field. I was in the woods. I did a slight adjustment to my set up very stealth like very quietly and shut up.. 5' later, here came.... looking for me.. and that's all she wrote.. so you never know.

01-Mar-18
I locate areas with turkeys and will call preseason to pinpoint. AM gets me way responses then PM. I pick a spot and go to a high point and wait until they gobble or if they dont I use an owl call. If all else fails I yelp. Then move in close but not too close. If no response I will walk further in or drive to another close spot.

01-Mar-18
Ungie, we hunt thunder chickens totally the same. I do the same thing. Another good example. Maybe 8 years ago, I was working a bird. I should have moved up this ridge to be level to him, but it was open and light enough I didnt want to bust him. So I tried from about 200yds in a valley. He gobbled like nuts, but wouldnt come off the hillside. Typical... Finally he shut up. Figured he either walked the other way (based on last heard gobble volume) or a hen lured him off. So I worked up a deer run and set up about 200yds above the ridge 25yds from a hole in a stone wall - using the wall as cover for my last 40-50 yds. I set up and call. Bird gobbles - he's literally 30yds away, I can see his fan tips just above the wall strutting now! Still wouldnt come, and finally I see why, a hen had been hanging with him. She crosses the wall, then he does, and some how I missed him at about 25-30yds. Had to twist funny and blew it. (If you guys have not noticed, I'm the worst shot in the world with a gun :)) He fly's off with the hen, and I hear a gobble about 200yds due south. I know how the birds like to work the edge of the ridge, so I hustle up about 80yds to the next stone wall, use it for cover in front and a hemlock about 5yds from it for my back, a few yelps and two beautiful Tom's literally run down the hill and I shot the lead one at 20yds.

All kinds of moving. Ungie is SOOOOOO right. If you work a bird and it doesnt work, and you have the time, try moving. Often times calling from a different spot works for them and they come right in.

Oh, one weird observation... I've come to the conclusion that there are 3 types of turkeys. 1.) Birds that are so hot to go, that you could just speak the word yelp a few times and they would literally RUN to you. Ok, you might need a turkey call, but it's borderline. Those are some exciting hunts!

2.) Birds super hot, but with a hen. In which case move, give up and try to find option 1 above, or, move on to bird type 3 approach.

3.) Brids hot, but just seems unwilling to come in, and you dont know why. Others correct this or please add to it - I'd love more ideas. My experience seems to say that if this happens, either there is a hen with the tom moving away so he just follows and does not care about you; or for got knows what reason, there is a specific route he wants to take and you are not along it. For example he wants to work a certain ridge line down to a valley, and you are at the base of the hill, vs down in the valley - he will gobble all the way there and never come in. I'm assuming he know's there are hens there or something, but the key point here is that if you want to have a shot at this bird, you have to try and move to where you think he wants to go.

I fail at that spectacularly quite often :) Will

01-Mar-18
Wow guys those were really helpful,.. Thanks!

01-Mar-18
My best hunt was I went to a spot and the bird was henned up so I said screw it speed walked to my truck drove to another spot and walked in for 15 minutes and heard a gobble. The tom came in right away but would not come through the thick stuff so he went back and forth about ten times. Then he was gone. I was on top of a hill where he was coming from but lost sight after he walked away. I waited then called and he gobbles from behind me down the hill on the path I came in on! I turn around slowly and drop him about 50 yards behind me. The time was about 10 minutes before noon!

01-Mar-18

awalk228's embedded Photo
Awesome stories guys! I got lucky on mine last year. I had him gobbling for a while and coming in but he got hung up and wouldn't jump a small stone wall. That was a dumb mistake on my part to put that between me and the bird. He started gobbling but heading off to the right so I grabbed my stuff and crawled to the stone wall. Popped my head up and he was walking away at like 20 yards. Dropped him in his tracks. My favorite was two years ago and had a big old tom come in to my decoy and strut around like he was king. So cool to watch for a while before taking him. The pictures are the one I got last spring.

01-Mar-18
awalk, turkeys are odd birds for sure. I once called one from a long distance and it came running in full speed non stop but then stopped at a 3 foot wide stream and continued to walk down it. All it had to do was jump and a few flaps and it would have been over the stream. Keep that in mind DO NOT set up with any obstacles in the way cuz it seems once they hit the ground they will not fly again until later.

01-Mar-18
Thanks for chipping in guys! I'm going to reread this entire thread more thoroughly when I have some time tomorrow.

01-Mar-18
Spike I agree with you! Always pick the spot that has the least resistance to it. I will say that no matter what the outcome of a turkey hunt is, you learn something different to do every time.

30-Mar-18
Now is the time to start scouting! Spend time driving around to locate flocks. They may be in people's yards or look in fields,birds are hitting fieds in my areas because the snow is melting and there feeding in fields. Find as many huntable birds as you can. Then get up early and hit your main spots and listen for birds googling off the roost,then start scouting the woods. I'm like Ungie and Will. I use a gun and I walk and talk alot till I get a response. If I have birds rooster I set up as close as I can without geting busted.

30-Mar-18
Is there a safe way to scoot and shoot behind a decoy? Or is it just a bad idea any way you look at it for risk of being shot by another Hunter?

30-Mar-18
I personally would not do it. Just to risky in my opinion. I believe that it's practiced more in the mid west do to more open land. I personally don't use a decoy much at all because I don't do much field hunting.

30-Mar-18

Tekoa's embedded Photo
Tekoa's embedded Photo
Unfortunately having turkeys in the yard everyday takes some of the fun out of hunting them. Look closely at the group of Toms in the upper right corner of the picture. One is breeding a hen. This was last Saturday. Tekoa

30-Mar-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Opening day last year was my 2nd bird, 2nd year Turkey hunting.

I scouted throughout Feb & March and had them pin pointed. Made a nice natural ground blind where they were walking everyday a month before the season. Opening day, 60 minutes before first light I get into my beautiful ground blind and started calling with a slate, a box and a couple of mouth calls. I got hens coming in, had jakes circle around behind me even had one hop across my leg. Those jakes came by 4 or 5 times. Around 10 finally get some Tom's gobbling but they wouldn't come in. I low-crawled through the woods and up a rise to behind a big white oak. They were 20 yards away, three Toms, some jakes (maybe the same ones as earlier) and a bunch of hens. Got up on a knee behind the tree and took the biggest Tom. This stuff is addictive.

I had my 8 year old out with her 410. We wound up running & gunning most times and 3 times she crawled within 25 yards of jakes and Tom's but held her shot. She's hooked too.

01-Apr-18
Guys there is some great info here for any Novice Turkey hunter to learn from. But when people talk in absolutes don’t be so sure because no two turkeys or turkey hunts are the same. Yes you can make some generalizations but after hunting these Wiley birds for more than 35 years I can assure you that on any given day if you want to succeed, your best bet is either patients or cover more ground than you want to. It’s up to you to figure what will work best on that day. That’s the beauty of turkey hunting!

01-Apr-18

longbeard's embedded Photo
A few strutters from this past week!

01-Apr-18

They’re really feeling it now!
They’re really feeling it now!

02-Apr-18
Awesome looking birds Gents!!!

02-Apr-18
been seeing a bunch strutting...

03-Apr-18
Saw a gobbler struttin' his stuff right on a sidewalk in Gloucester this afternoon.

04-Apr-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
this guy stopped by the house on saturday....hoping he still around in a few weeks. lol

04-Apr-18

I like to use a pileated woodpecker call to locate them the night before the hunt (roost them). then before dawn sneak in as close as possible and get set up. when they start to tree call, I tree call back, then I'll flydown cackle (usually drives the gobblers nuts). but then it all depends on what happens with the local hens. the gobbler could stay with the hens or fly down my way.

favorite calls, double frame diaphragm with cut reeds, quakerboy boat paddle, home made glass call, occasionally just a lump of slate cupped in my hand and a hand whittled striker. all depends on mood.

what calls I like, tree yelp, tree gobble, fly-down cackle, regular yelp, cackle, purr, and very occasionally mouth gobble with a diaphragm.

04-Apr-18
No wonder its been a few years they are all by the houses like the damn deer!

05-Apr-18
Thanks everyone for all this wonderful information. I am going to try spring turkey bowhunting for the first time ever. Ive been practicing my box calls and glass call. I ordered some mouth calls but I doubt I will be ready by may to use it. I was going to use a decoy hen and possibly my climber to set up. Should I go make some ground blinds instead? Im worried about having no cover on the ground. I cannot afford a ground blind right now which would be ideal. Keep the information coming. I had read this post atleast 10 times. Any suggestions appreciated.

05-Apr-18
I know guys who kill birds every year, sitting on a stool, in jeans & plaid, with a selfbow. Don't stress too much about blinds, and I'd never risk spring turkey in a treestand.

Above everything else, patience and knowing when to move/call/draw is the most important. Ie...the BEST bow setup is a nesting hen or jake deke, facing directly at you. A gobbler will likely get in there face strutting, thereby blocking it's vision of you with its tailfan. That's when you move/draw.

05-Apr-18
Two funky things that can help..

1.) If you suspect fly down is about to happen in the AM, take your cap off and flap it against your thigh hard several times in a flapping rhythm then smack the ground 3-4 times. Think "bird flying down and landing taking several fast steps to slow momentum". I've had gobblers stuck on roost literally fly to me when I did this - no additional calling needed.

2.) Always have a stick handy that's about a foot long and maybe an inch ish around. if a bird hangs up just out of sight, you can scratch the leaves - trying to sound like a hen scratching and it works. just a scratch scratch, 3-4 seconds of nothing, scratch scratch. repeat for 5-10 sets of scratching. Birds that are totally stuck have come to me many times when I included this tactic.

05-Apr-18
I've had luck w/ the same tactics will! numerous times!

05-Apr-18
Will I love that scratching stick idea! I have had a Tom hang up and over called and blew it. Good one!

I gots a question for ya... the later part of the season after a couple weeks of public land pressure. Will survivors retreat to deeper woods ?

05-Apr-18
Will, I use same tactics!!! It works well. BS NOT really they just seem to clam up more, they may come in silently.. Turkey's have areas that they like to travel from one section to the next. Male birds will go and check areas where hens like to feed especially late mornings, l like to get in the areas not over call but most of the time its walk and talk till one fires off. Find the hens you will find the males. Remember birds roost so first thing in morning they want food especially hens!

05-Apr-18
I'd love to hear others comments on that B&S.

In my experience, they definitely get more call shy. Well, I perceive that. The reality is that the most turned on birds or birds with personalities which are very responsive to calls get killed fast. All that's left are birds that are naturally not real interested in coming to a call, and birds that have been spooked and are call shy.

So deeper? Not in my experience... But rare have been the times when I found a bird that was fired up like crazy on week 4. Week 3 is a little better...

Come to think of it, even in big woods spots I mostly hunt they seem to relate more closely to houses than woods if pressured. There could be 5 miles of woods in one direction and they will go to a house to strut in the yard...

05-Apr-18

Brooktrout59's embedded Photo
Great tips guys- seem to have more luck in ME where they allow late(1/2 hour after sunset) Turkey hunting in Spring. Last 2 years shot my birds right before dark. Found where they roost and cut them off on way to roost. Why MA does not allow this with all our birds is beyond me. Use old Lonesome hen call which always seems to bring them in. Still have not shot bird with Bow. Hoping this year!

05-Apr-18

Great tips guys- seem to have more luck in ME where they allow late(1/2 hour after sunset) Turkey hunting in Spring. Last 2 years shot my birds right before dark. Found where they roost and cut them off on way to roost. Why MA does not allow this with all our birds is beyond me. Use old Lonesome hen call which always seems to bring them in. Still have not shot bird with Bow. Hoping this year!

05-Apr-18
If I have a bird hanging up out of range I will move directly away from them for 75 maybe 100 yards. Gently calling as I move. Then wait. Works more often than it doesn't. I once had four Tom's on the other side of a major road. I couldn't go to them. They wouldn't come to me. Once they thought she was leaving all four of them ran across the road. One crossed the road for the last time. Tekoa

05-Apr-18
Wow, this thread has blown up with some good stuff! You guys have got me pumped to chase some turkeys. Now I almost hope the stripers show up later this year, they always pull me away about halfway through the turkey season.

08-Apr-18

hickstick's Link
something to get you pumped up for the thunderchickens

08-Apr-18

hickstick's Link
and another one this was the most gobblers I've ever had come in at once...there for 4 (mix of toms and jakes) that kept circling my blind....at the same time..the boss was way down the hill (the video above) hen'ed up with 4 ladies.

09-Apr-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
Was out early yesterday a.m. on a little recon. After locating some birds and watching 4 big deer graze for 25 min at sun up I came across this holdover rooster. cool to see

09-Apr-18
that pic makes me a little sad Bowandspear. My go-to spot I've been hunting since youth, we used to regularly see pheasant, grouse, woodcock, and an occasional quail. I can't tell you the last time I've seen any of those species.

heck 5 years ago, I was surrounded by a flock of 15 turkey during deer season (the weekend before fall turkey started). now I only see the maybe 4 a season. habitat loss, coyote boom, change in climate...I dunno

09-Apr-18
Hickstick I'm down on the ocean here South coast. What is more perplexing is according to Mass info no where around here is on the stocking list :) I have not seen a pheasant it bobwhite outside a stocked area since the mid 1980's. So either this guy did some traveling or state released some here ?

09-Apr-18
could also be from a local club?

09-Apr-18
Possibly, Hickstick.

09-Apr-18
Took the dogs for their normal walk tonight, Woodcock everywhere. Zone 4S.

09-Apr-18

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Turkey strategies, when you hunt out of state with an 11 y.o.. He gets things ready when the landowner sends pics.

09-Apr-18

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Found this flock up at school. Asked the guy for permission to hunt. (In his field). He told me to leave his f***ing birds alone. Game on buddy ;) . Nice field across the street that I'm going to set up in. Couple nice toms in that group

• Sitka Gear