writer 26-Feb-18
Ruthless09 28-Feb-18
BDA 26-Apr-18
Trial153 14-May-18
z hunter 14-May-18
Trial153 14-May-18
25-Feb-18
Gentlemen-

I'm moving to Manhattan this summer and was looking for some advice on all things hunting... archery shops, archery leagues, hunting resources, taxidermists, etc.

I've scoured the internet already, but was wondering if anyone here had recommendations.

Archery Shops: Carter's Archery will probably be where I take my bow, which I bought there several years ago. The drive will be a detractor for using Mike's shop though. I've also heard that Overton's Archery in Lawerence was worth the trip. Recommendations?

Archery League: Anyone have any insight into a decent archery league? I've never shot in a league before, but I think this might be my opportunity. Does anyone know about the Boone's Outdoors League?

Hunting: Does anyone know how the hunting is on Fort Riley? I've heard that the deer hunting is good, and the turkey hunting is better... but that was from a guy who hasn't been there in years. The pictures on the website show some monsters, but I'm also guessing that there is a lot of hunting pressure and military training really can screw with the wildlife patterns. Does anyone have some insight?

I'm sure I'll be joining the Fort Riley Outdoorsman Group and KBA. Does KBA have a local chapter? Does anyone have any additional information on FROG?

Finally, is there any local taxidermists that I should check out? Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Jeremy

25-Feb-18
Jeremy, I have lived in Manhattan for fifty years. Call me at 785-764-2641. I have a hard time hearing over the phone, but we can meet I'll share what I know. Doug Phelps

26-Feb-18
Sounds like Doug will get you dialed in, but I’ll add a few suggestions.

Bowman Taxidermy in Wakefield is a great shop. Their showroom is well worth checking out... There’s a nice range at Tuttle, below the dam. Haven’t been for a while, but there are quite a few distances and an elevated stand now I believe. I think Boone’s is your indoor league option... And when/if access to the Fort throws a wrench into your plans I wouldn’t hesitate to learn what you can about the three nearby reservoirs. Some of the biggest deer in the state have lived on or very near Tuttle, Milford and CG. Enjoy the Flint Hills!

26-Feb-18
You are more than welcome to come to Wakefield and take a look at our taxidermy showroom and work if you want. We highly encourage potential new customers to check our work out before committing to our services. We are about 30 minutes west of Manhattan.

26-Feb-18
Bowman’s Taxidermy has been one of the tops in Kansas for years. I have mounts 25 years old that still look fantastic. Go to the natural resources office at FR and make sure you understand all the rules. They can probably help you with FROG. Great group! You’re in for some great fun on Fort Riley. Be sure to get in on the elk draw. Great morel hunting there, and fun ultra-light fishing on Wildcat Creek.

28-Feb-18
sent you a pm, i currently live in manhattan, am retired military and a frog member on post.

26-Apr-18
Gentlemen-

I wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who replied. I've been crazy busy with work, while also getting ready to purchase a home in Manhattan next week... and of course, move this summer. I've learned a lot of stuff, and I expect to figure out some additional stuff when I contact some of the guys who offered to chat once I reach Manhattan in August. I can't wait to get settled in Kansas!

Thanks again!

Jeremy

14-May-18
Great area, I been keeping my eyes open for property near Manhattan, now all I need to do is convince my wife ....

Good luck with your move!

14-May-18
Pull that trigger Jimmy...Emaw!

14-May-18
It was at your recommendation Brian, took the time and drove around the area the last two visits. The Manhattan area is very nice, country yet plenty of amenities, looks like a great place to raise a family. Alas the wife isn’t sold yet. But I am still working one it. I just bought some property in north Texas and took her down with me.....so I am working on her big time.

• Sitka Gear