MN_Bow_Hunter_1980 27-Feb-18
PushCoArcher 27-Feb-18
MN_Bow_Hunter_1980 28-Feb-18
coach 28-Feb-18
swampokie 28-Feb-18
MichaelArnette 02-Mar-18
Jack 14-Mar-18
27-Feb-18
Hello, I am a bow hunter from Minnesota. I am looking at Oklahoma as my next DIY hunt for whitetail in 2018. I have been doing a bit of research online and was hoping this community could offer some insights. Here is what I “think” I know… • I am driving from Minnesota • I am looking to camp or pay for a cheap motel while I stay • I am looking to make the trip a week or two after the season opens • Hunting public land • I would like anyone’s feedback on SE OK WMAs or public lands for a DIY hunt o I have considered: ? Three Rivers ? James Collins ? Honobia Creek WMA ? Broken Bow McGee Creek (if anyone has any insight on staying at the State Park it would be greatly appreciated as well) Any insights or suggestions for dates/places to hunt or just general advice would be incredibly welcome. I am not a trophy hunter but wouldn’t mind harvesting a nice buck so that isn’t my sole purpose to hunt OK. I really just like the challenge of DIY hunts and experiencing new places.

Thanks in advance

Simon

27-Feb-18
I have hunted three rivers, honobia, and McGee creek and have heard good things about james Collins all of them will have deer and the potential for some big bucks. I would recommend three rivers and honobia between the 2 there is just over 300,000 acres you will have to buy a permit to hunt these two wma's I believe it's $85 for a non resident. You are allowed to camp anywhere on the wma's but it's all primitive camping. If you want a campground with electric and water hook up check out turkey creek campground in Ringold or beavers bend there are several other options. If you decide to go with Three rivers shoot me a pm and we can talk tactics and spots. Be warned though my info is a little old haven't hunted there in 6 years but I hunt a lease in North pushmataha county that is timber company land so I'm familiar with how to hunt the area. Also if your thinking of typical grassy rolling hills of oklahoma you'll be in for a suprise this is some rough, thick, and steep country.

28-Feb-18
Thanks PushCoArcher. Based on my research I have come to expect this to be a little bush-whacker-ish. I am not afraid of a little work. I don't really have a time frame in mind. I was hoping to get some sort of indication from this site. I would like to hunt when the gun hunters are not in the woods but would like to wait until the weather cools down a little. I likely will call the area biologists as well to get their takes on each unit I am considering.

28-Feb-18
The North Central/Eastern part of the state up around Hulah Lake and Copan Lake has a lot of deer as well. It's a really good area with a lot of public land and some nice camping areas.

28-Feb-18
Call biologist Christian at honobia three rivers. 918-527-5308. He is the real Dr deer.

02-Mar-18
All of those are solid options, have fun! I only have experience with James Collins. I have plenty of experience hunting Copan, Osage, and Oolagah WMAs in the NE and will be heading southeast now as I’ve seen better numbers and less pressure. Keep in mind that the closer you get to Texas the greater the pressure. Same thing with getting closer to Kansas. Central Southeast is better than far southeast for that reason.

14-Mar-18
There are some areas in Oklahoma that are Archery Only areas that have a lot of deer and turkey, that have limited pressure. I hunt such places and see lots of deer and turkey.

• Sitka Gear