bigbuckbob 24-Mar-18
notme 24-Mar-18
Bigbuckbob 24-Mar-18
Wild Bill 25-Mar-18
Deep Cut 25-Mar-18
28-Feb-18
They have just turned - this will likely be a huge mistake on their part -

28-Feb-18
Is there some type of house wife girlfriend movement going on?

28-Feb-18
I normally do

28-Feb-18
Exactly what is this thread about?

28-Feb-18
I had a very active relationship with Dick's in highschool and college. I was lucky enough to have girlfriends that enjoyed going there often. Have to admit that now that I'm 67 I don't have much for Dick's.

28-Feb-18
Much like they did in the CT stores after Sandy Hook - they pulled "assault style weapons" (whatever those are) from the remainder of their stores.

I rarely shopped there anyway - but now is even less of a reason....

28-Feb-18
We are in the minority, unfortunately for every one of us that boycotts, there are 100's and maybe even thousands throughout that love that move. It is more a business move than anything, even got free advertisement on the national news today. Gun sales at Dick's drop but the money will pour in with all of the other sportswear from the majority of people that love that move.

28-Feb-18
agreed

It solves nothing though...

28-Feb-18
What exactly are we boycotting?

28-Feb-18
Boycotted them years ago they suck their prices suck and not sure many but guns form the anyway :)

28-Feb-18
Boycotted them years ago they suck their prices suck and not sure many but guns form the anyway :)

28-Feb-18

Richm444's Link
this is what they did

28-Feb-18
Tossed my rewards card into the rubbish after the last removal of firearms due to political insight several years ago.

28-Feb-18
I heard the news after my posts, so here's what they did. They will not sell guns, any guns, to anyone that is not 21 years old. They will also not sell assault style weapons. In my opinion, they should get out of the hunting category because I'm betting no one will go there. I also play golf - won't go there. I run - won't go there. I fish - won't go there. I ski - won't go there.

28-Feb-18
Shoot a Mature buck?...won't go there for another 13 years lol

28-Feb-18
Ouch

28-Feb-18
We should open a store in this state called "Vagina's", we can start by selling bubble wrap, excuses, trophies for all and finally our souls....and we can put a tax on it to boot.

28-Feb-18
Now Walmart has followed there move.

Great for the small mom and pop shops.

01-Mar-18
I think we should change the voting age to 21 !!!

01-Mar-18
How are they going to arm the military? It will be illegal to give the 18 yr olds guns

01-Mar-18
That's the beauty of living in America: no retailer is obligated to sell anything they don't want to sell, and none of us are obligated to patronize a retailer if we disagree with the decision.

BBB - don't be silly. There's nothing floating around that would prevent someone under 21 from possessing or using a long gun..

OTOH - and at the very least - if a "kid" is in the Military, he/she should be able to qualify for a waiver. Frankly, I don't see any need to extend the age minimum for long guns to anything that doesn't have a removable magazine, or if it does, capacity of 5 or fewer for centerfire and 10 or fewer for rimfire. That covers all standard sporting rifles/shotguns and pretty much everything that hasn't already been banned in CT anyway.

Basically, all it would do is to push high-cap semi-auto rifles into the same bucket as handguns, and honestly... I don't have a problem with that.

01-Mar-18
GF - full agreement.

Business wise, given they likely make a small % of thier overall corporate profit off guns, and a tiny percent off AR platform/style rifles... Any money lost from folks ticked they make this move, will be made up from folks who may go there BECAUSE they did a move like this.

Regardless, they may even decide they are ok taking the risk of a reduction in sales given their corporate lawyers or PR folks could be suggesting to them that should someone use a weapon bought there in one of these shootings in the future, that the backlash could really hurt them.

01-Mar-18
Hold on GF. A bakery must sell a cake to a gay couple even though it's against their religion. What if the DMV said you're not getting a license because other people your age had an accident?

05-Mar-18
I'm hugely pro 2A here, and do not agree with thi smove - but as stated above - it's a free market and we can shop elsewhere.

I saw somewhere online this weekend, that what prompted this move, was that they sold the shooter a shotgun (not used in the crime), but the CEO decided that was close enough to negative publicity for him.

Not defending or agreeing with what they did, but I can now see why they took this road.

05-Mar-18
In CT it was always 21 unless you had a hunting license anyways.....although I don't agree with it....I have bought guns from dicks and I hated the experience...it took 3 trips and about 2.5 hours when the employee told me it was illegal to sell guns after 7pm and on sundays .....i really don't see 21 as a big deal......but that is my Opinion...

05-Mar-18
The one in avon told me i couldnt buy buck shot..i told them i was after big geese..oofffaa

07-Mar-18
21 is no big deal unless you’re 18, 19, or 20...

Bob - there’s a difference between discrimination and a blanket policy. Still, if someone doesn’t want my business, I’m happier taking it elsewhere.

07-Mar-18
Ask why as hunters we are restricted to 3 shot capacity while waterfowl or woodcock hunting. To make us less efficient in killing multiple sentient beings at a time. I'm all for categorizing military grade weapons and high capacity mags the same as handguns.

07-Mar-18
The problem we get into with "high capacity".. what's the number? They capped us at 10.. but many of my factory handguns came with more than that - I call that a standard capacity magazine.

There are certain guns we can no longer buy... I had found a nice older S&W semi auto at Kittery, 15+1 in 9mm - had cash in hand, paperwork completed - then the manager nixed the transaction - it's against their policy to sell those to CT. I told him CT law bans guns by name, and they could either transfer the gun without the mag, or transfer to the FFL WITH the mag and he could not legally transfer it to me. They gave me my $$ back.

07-Mar-18
Oof. The sad thing is that chucking a 1 cent piece of plastic in that magazine would have made it a perfectly legal transaction. But if you pulled it out once you were in CT, you'd be a felon.

07-Mar-18
Oof. The sad thing is that chucking a 1 cent piece of plastic in that magazine would have made it a perfectly legal transaction. But if you pulled it out once you were in CT, you'd be a felon.

07-Mar-18
That is definitely the challenge. People who freak towards sharp gun laws tend to not be very willing to learn about the actual guns... One could argue the defensiveness goes both ways... but man, it's frustrating to have these situations that could make a normal, happy, safe gun owner a felon.

15-Mar-18
I know that we cant buy new AR15s here in CT but is it true that I can buy a Pre Ban AR?

15-Mar-18
Im no expert but I believe you can, but you'll pay around $2k

15-Mar-18
Yes Chuck, they are sold here. There has been some talk of them tweaking the law, to include prebans, but as of now, you can buy them. They definitely cost more that than regular AR style rifles did before the 2013 CT law change. I'm not sure where you live, but I know a couple of places that I can steer you to, that won't hurt you too badly on the $.

15-Mar-18
Really? I thought the existing stock was non-transferable... Actually cool if the preexisting inventory is still liquid. Not sure I’d want to pay the price or deal with the hassle, but there is something completely nuts when you can carry a handgun just about anywhere, but you can’t own a rifle with the same magazine capacity just because of the cosmetics.

18-Mar-18
Anybody remember Sports Authority? The pulled their guns off the market. Seems their prices were too high and while people came in to see the guns they wanted, they would go elsewhere to make the purchases. Moving the guns from the display cases to the safe every night wasn't worth the trouble. Then there were not enough ball crazy crowd to support the business.

Of course, last week I heard a news report that business is just fine after their announcement in support of gun control. It doesn't matter to me, I just have to shop where I am not spending against myself. When the choice is mine, I will not pay for gun control.

18-Mar-18
Years ago I needed to find a toy cap gun so I could begin to gradually introduce my puppy to noises during retrieves. I never imagined how difficult it would be to find a toy cap pistol in CT! After a few failed expeditions elsewhere, I went to Toys R Us, and the sales associate told me "oh, we don't carry those anymore. Some sort of concerned-moms group threatened to boycott us if we kept them on the shelves." I ended up eventually finding one at Walmart and stocked up on all of the caps they had on the shelf ... just in case they might not be available in the future. I was happy to see Toys R Us go out of business this week.

19-Mar-18
I called Delta to make 5 reservations to fly to Barcelona, Spain. Then I told them wait, you severed ties with the NRA right? Never mind, I'll be booking with a different airline.

19-Mar-18
They may make a small percentage of their profits on Firearms, but I bet Hunting, in general (including ammo, clothing etc), is significant. I bet a lot of Hunters will stay away. And I bet a lot of those people play Golf like BBB said, and have kids and grandkids who play Lacrosse, and Soccer and Baseball and many of them will stay away. N8tureBoy talked about what happened to ToysRus, Bill spoke of Sports Authority. I wish for Dick's the same fate.

If 18, 19 and 20-year-olds can be denied the right to purchase firearms to protect themselves, is that not an infringement of their constitutional right? If they are too young to be responsible enough to buy a firearm, why should we allow them to set policy about who else can have them? Uninformed people call AR an "Instrument of War", has any military even issued them to their soldiers? In the US military, they use a rifle that, while it looks somewhat like an AR, is a Select Fire or Full Auto 5.56 caliber rifle. Calling a Semi-Auto anything an Assault Weapon is just ignorant. Well either ignorant or purposely deceitful.

19-Mar-18
12:30. A 5.56 caliber rifle would take 141 mm rounds. That is Howitzer grade. I think you mean 5.56 mm. A semi-auto AR with a 30 round clip may not be technically an assault weapon, but pretty dang close. If the AR is not an “instrument of war,” what is its intent? You are correct though that the US Military has not issued AR 15s to their soldiers, they issue M 16s. The AR 15 is the civilian equivalent of the M 16 and was marketed as such to circumvent the 1994 assault weapons ban. And the US Military does not use a weapon that looks like an AR, rather the reverse. Your logic is backwards. The civilian AR platform was modeled after the M 16 which the US Military issues their soldiers. And why would the US Military issue the M 16 to its soldiers? It is the weapon that most effectively eliminates the enemy. Right?

19-Mar-18
No, a 5.56 INCH caliber is what you are thinking of (but I didn't say that did I?). And semi-auto ARs use a magazine, not a clip Doc.

A bit of info for you, since you seem interested:

When was the AR invented: "ArmaLite sold its rights to the AR-10 and AR-15 to Colt in 1959. After a tour by Colt of the Far East, the first sale of AR-15s was made to Malaysia on September 30, 1959, with Colt's manufacture of their first 300 AR-15s in December 1959." (Source: https://www.ar15goa.com/about/the-ar-15-rifle/)

When was the M16 invented? "The original M16 was a selective fire 5.56mm rifle with a 20-round magazine. In 1964, the M16 entered U.S. military service and the following year was deployed for jungle warfare operations during the Vietnam War. In 1969, the M16A1 replaced the M14 rifle to become the U.S. military's standard service rifle." (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle)

Your facts are wrong, Again. Clearly, you are one of the ignorant ones. Not to mention arrogant, but we all knew that already. Any more questions or misconceptions I can clear up for you?

19-Mar-18
Oh yeah, you asked: If the AR is not an “instrument of war,” what is its intent?

Home Defense, Target Shooting, Competition, Hunting (mostly predators with the 5.56), and Big Game with heavier calibers. It's only the most popular rifle sold in the USA and has been for some time. It's accurate and reliable and very versatile and modular. And when the Feds banned it for 10 years ('94-'04) no difference was noted in crime statistics (FBI Uniform Crime Report).

19-Mar-18
You said “. . . is a Select Fire or Full Auto 5.56 caliber rifle.” A 5.56 caliber rifle would take rounds that are 5.56 inches in diameter, like some Howitzers do. A .223” round is the equivalent of 5.56 mm (0.223 inches = 5.56 mm), which is what you meant. You meant to say a 5.56 mm rifle. Your Wikipedia quote verifies this “The original M16 was a selective fire 5.56mm rifle . . .”

Point taken on clip vs magazine. I misspoke. Most my rifles are bolt action and take 3 rounds so I haven’t the need for either. And I will concede that the AR 15 became the M 16 in the late 50s, but stand by the fact that the AR 15 remains the civilian equivalent of the M 16 and the M 16 is still used in the military 54 years later because it is most effective at eliminating the enemy. The M 16 was “invented” well before it went into military service in 1964 as your misleading Wikipedia quote states. If you scroll further down on the same page, it will see it was designed in 1957, the same time as the AR 15. You can’t dispute the AR 15 is the preferred weapon of mass shooters because, to quote you, it is “accurate and reliable and very versatile and modular.” And the weapon of choice used to combat shooters using an AR-15, is the AR-15. And during the weapons ban it could have one, but not more than one, military-grade spec like a folding stock, pistol grip, bayonet mount, flash suppressor, or grenade launcher. And it was not the only weapon “banned” during the time, but I would agree that the ban did next to nothing to limit access, but it sure appeased the voting public. I guess I don’t see the need for the general public to have military-grade assault weapons with high capacity magazines. If that makes me ignorant, then so be it.

19-Mar-18
The definition of caliber is the bore diameter, no units were mentioned until you pulled out your calculator and started talking about a Howitzer. Of course, 5.56 refers to mm, I assumed that everyone would be aware of that.

5.56 x 46 mm NATO, is the caliber of most AR style rifles, although some are chambered for .223 (INCHES). You can use .223 ammo in rifles chambered for 5.56 x 45 (MM NATO) but the reverse isn't recommended as pressures may be too high because of a slight difference in the headspace.

You not seeing the "need for the general public" is probably why we have a Bill of Rights, instead of a Bill of Needs. But feel free to not exercise that right. By the way, calling them Assault Weapons is another area where you are showing your political stripes. That's a made up term used by those wanting to ban them. An AR15 is neither an Assault Weapon nor an Assault RIfle. Words matter might as well get it right.

19-Mar-18
Let's ignore the fact that law enforcement was involved 39 times in the Florida shooting and FAILED to protect the school. Let's also ignore the school cop who FAILED to respond as required in his training by seeking out the shooter. Let's ignore the fact that the FBI FAILED to respond to 2 contacts expressing concern that Cruz would shoot up the school. Let's ignore the fact that 3 first responders FAILED to enter the school to confront the shooter.

Instead let's talk about a gun that doesn't exist,......"assault rifle". The gun is not the problem. It's just the hole in the donut, but the media loves to talk about the holes.

19-Mar-18
Agreed. However, it doesn't negate the fact that an AR-15 was used. Trump better get our FBI in order to prevent these tragedies instead of firing them to cover his own ass.

19-Mar-18
If your kid was in the line of fire at one of these schools you might change your tune about high capacity weapons. What other weapon is going to cause that kind devastation besides a dufflebag of grenades or loaded handguns? The fact is that gun was the means to a lot of ends. And when it’s kids dying it certainly pulls at the heartstrings. Everybody has their own feelings and it’s hard to convince people otherwise. It’s always going to come down to a vote.

19-Mar-18
Ace. What part of my quote above don't you understand? Let me quote myself.

"A semi-auto AR 15 with a 30 round clip may not technically be an assault weapon, but pretty dang close."

You have once corrected me on clip v magazine. But I think most can infer here that I realize that an AR is neither an assault weapon nor assault rifle because it is not fully automatic. Yeah. Got it. Spelled out as such.

19-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/6VGzXL42JQE

This guys a walking encyclopedia on guns

19-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/6VGzXL42JQE

This guys a walking encyclopedia on guns

19-Mar-18
Smooth is right. I quit the NRA when they were against outlawing armor piercing bullets. I had two cops in the family, so that hit home for me. I don't hunt with rifles because it's too easy and I also see no need for magazines with 30 rounds. In fact, anything more than 3 is too much for hunting. Self defense? I'll use my 12 guage. Make me pick between kids and AR15,.......NO CONTEST! But lets make the schools safer first because we don't need Washington to do that.

20-Mar-18
I can put out more lead in a shorter period of time with a standard pump action shotgun and buckshot then with a semi-auto gun with a "high capacity" magazine. With stripper clips I can load that baby quickly and keep the lead flying.

People wanted to ban pump action shotguns in WW1 because these "trench guns" were thought to be worse than the other weapons being utilized. In WW2 and Vietnam, soldiers with these nasty shotguns got extra attention from the enemy.

20-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/xXkyEbrqNGw

The cyborg

20-Mar-18
I own an AR-15 and I think one of the reasons they're used by mass shooters is because they stay on target, minimal recoil and the high number of rounds you can put downrange in a short period of time. There should be laws restricting their sale, particularly to 18 year olds. And I agree with Doc, they're used by the military because they're efficient instruments of death.

20-Mar-18
Keep them legal. Just give them the same regulations and permitting as handguns. Good guys will comply and will continue to use their legal assault weapons appropriately.

20-Mar-18
After upping the age for our MSRs (Modern Sporting Rifles/AR-15s), any and all semi-automatics will be targeted for more restrictions and bans.

20-Mar-18

Deep Cut's Link

20-Mar-18
You lost me at Ted Nugent and Alex Jones, yeah I'll trust a conspiracy theorist and a draft dodger!!

20-Mar-18
What do you call it when the majority of the media and certain political persuasions pushes an agenda that is contrary to the truth and founding morals of this country?

20-Mar-18
The media and liberals are lying about the fact that the AR 15 is the weapon of choice for mass shooters? Not sure I follow. That seems like an undisputed fact.

20-Mar-18

Deep Cut's Link
One search for facts.

20-Mar-18
Oof. Trying to downplay the intentional murder of people is just a losing proposition. Parkland (17 dead), Pulse nightclub (50 dead), Sandy Hook (26 dead), Las Vegas (58 dead), San Bernadino (14 dead), Aurora, CO movie shooting (11 dead), Southerland, TX church shooting (26 dead) all used AR 15s, except for the Vegas shooter who used 14 AR 15s and 8 AR 10s. These are facts. No liberal spin, no agenda. Just dead people at the hands of insane people using a weapon of war to murder unarmed civilians including women and children. Fact.

20-Mar-18
"I guess I don’t see the need for the general public to have military-grade assault weapons with high capacity magazines."

Those are the one stipulated in the 2nd amendment. Military, as in militia.

20-Mar-18
"A well regulated militia...."

21-Mar-18
[Begin rant]

Personal arms as weapons of war: stick, rock, club, spear, bow and arrow, sword, flintlock, Springfield 1863 Percussion and Trapdoor, shotgun, revolver, pistol, M1903, M1903A3, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14 (semi), FN SCAR (semi), AR-15, SKS and AK Variants (semi), M36 Phase Pulse rifle in 40KW range. I want them all, except for the last (lol).

I remember when the government was less intrusive. Less regulations and less taxes. I learned a moral code from religion and my parents. I learned with age comes responsibility. I earned money starting at 10 years. I wasn't concerned about taxes until my first 'real' job, when some union and some government took my earnings without asking. I had no concern about laws except that I had to be 16 years to drive or buy firearms. I used to buy rifles and pistols at the hardware store and even by mail. I have not killed anyone except when ordered by my government, and only then because I believed I was protecting my inherent rights as put forth in our Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution.

I recall a recent conservation I had with the CT ACLU. The 1st Amendment is interpreted broadly, to cover everything from idiocy to debauchery (i.e.; abortion), while the 2nd Amendment is interpreted narrowly, and is defined by what is is. I guess my civil rights don't include the 2nd Amendment.

[End rant]

21-Mar-18
"A well regulated militia...."

The stipulation for regulation was in time of national need, not full time. The civilian arsenal was to supplement a possible standing army need. Therefore, arms equivalent to government owned arms were expected to be in the hands of civilians not under a central authority, for the purposes of regulation. While the mission of a standing army was to protect the nation, the threat of a standing army to liberty was recognized. Trust was in God, not the government.

So when the government was discovered to be stockpiling vast amounts of ammunition through out various administrative departments(like the IRS), a few months back, it was clearly understood that this posed a threat to civilians, not foreign forces.

21-Mar-18
I appreciate your service and your perspective. I cannot imagine the Founding Fathers could have envisioned the power and lethality of modern-day firearms and certainly could not fathom that American civilians would use them against other civilians when they wrote the 2nd Amendment. I'm just suggesting "assault" weapons, rifles and shotguns designed to kill people, should be more heavily regulated than sporting firearms. This is not synonymous with the liberals are taking our guns away...

21-Mar-18
Doc - FBI stats show more people are killed by personal weapons (fist and feet) and blunt object (hammers) than all rifles types combined. Where's the outrage? Where are the protest against martial arts schools and hand tool producers?? Why is it that the 1st amendment is interrupted broadly to allow a-holes (like some on this site :)..) say whatever they want, but the 2nd amendment is interrupted narrowly, limiting the scope of that right. Why isn't Ford or GM held accountable for all of the car deaths? Do I want an AR15? Nope! Do I think the capacity of the guns should be reduced to 3 shots? Yes! The design of the gun does NOT make you deader, AR15 vs a 30-06 semi-auto hunting rifle, just like getting killed in a Corvette vs getting killed in a Chevette doesn't matter either. Yesterday another school shooter in Maryland shot his exgirlfriend in school but the school cop shot him dead within seconds of hearing the shots. The way to stop the bad gun is with a good gun. Take the good gun away and what do you have? Parkland, FLA death tolls.

21-Mar-18
Negotiation/regulation of an inalienable right is a loss.

"I cannot imagine the Founding Fathers could have envisioned the power and lethality of modern-day firearms and certainly could not fathom that American civilians would use them against other civilians when they wrote the 2nd Amendment."

You don't have to imagine anything. Murder was then horrible as it is now.

Crime: HOM: 4 or more Ind adults Motive: POLITICAL / control of trade

Circumstances: the Indians traders were en route to the House of Good Hope, the Dutch trading post on the upper Connecticut River (in present-day Hartford). The Pequots attacked them to defend their monopoly of trade with the Dutch in the Connecticut River Valley. The attack violated Pequot treaties with the Dutch, which were negotiated in 1633. The Pequot had granted the Dutch a plot of land, extending 1/3 mi. inland, on which to build their trading post, in return for wampum and trade goods; and the Pequots had [according to Cave, Pequot War, 58] "bound themselves to respect the peace and to allow Indians, regardless of tribal affiliation, access to the Dutch trading post." The peace proved "ephemeral," as the Pequots "were not reconciled to the loss of their trade monopoly in the Connecticut River Valley."

"In one of the most famous crimes of post-Revolution America, Barnett Davenport commits an awful mass murder in rural Connecticut. Caleb Mallory, his wife, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren were killed in their home by their boarder, Davenport.

Davenport, born in 1760, enlisted in the American army as a teenager and had served at Valley Forge and Fort Ticonderoga. In the waning days of the war with the British, he came to live in the Mallory household. Today, Davenport’s crime might be ascribed to some type of post-war stress syndrome, but at the time it was the source of a different sociological significance.

On February 3, apparently unprovoked, Davenport beat Caleb Mallory to death. He then beat Mallory’s seven-year-old grandchild with a rifle and killed his daughter-in-law. Davenport looted the home before setting it on fire, killing two others.

His shocking confession was the basis of much soul-searching for the fledgling nation’s press. Many books were written about the crime, and the perception of murderers began to change in America. Until then, crime was most often seen as the result of common sinners losing their way. But Davenport’s crime and its portrayal to the public caused people to perceive criminals as evil and alien to the rest of society. To some degree, this view has persisted through the years.

Those quaint good old days is a myth.

" The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9

21-Mar-18
I suppose the general public should have access to grenades, bazookas, flame throwers, and rocket launchers too. I tried to order a tank but they’re on back order. You have to draw the line somewhere.

21-Mar-18
"You have to draw the line somewhere. "

There already is a line. Moving it any farther is encroaching on personal liberty. And don't you know, the movement is in the direction of complete confiscation?

Why is the absurd grenade to tank statement made when personal arms are the issue, to sway the ignorant, nothing more, because the left has a goal to reach, one step at a time.

Hunting firearms are not the intention of the 2nd amendment. Hunting is not listed as an inalienable right.

21-Mar-18
Wild Bill, So if we give an inch the liberals will take a mile. That is what you fear? Fine. I don’t feel that way. Draw the line at high capacity weapons. Yes it’s a compromise. A compassionate person who cares about the innocent lives of children is willing to compromise. I’m not worried about the liberals coming for my Mossberg slug gun. If they do I’ll stand by you. I understand that I’m probably representing the minority of Bowsiters but that doesn’t bother me.

21-Mar-18
10:11. Bob, no one is “interrupting [sic]” the first or second amendment. They are interpreting them. This goes to Wild Bill’s point. The Constitution is a living, breathing document that is interpreted differently as times change. That is the point of the judicial system, to interpret the Constitution. And Bob, I am sure you are including yourself in that a-hole remark, right? Funny how you and Ace cannot write a post without including some juvenile dig like that. Let your words speak for themselves without resorting to infantile, school-ground name-calling. Good grief how lame.

Aside from that, I know what you are talking about, I own multiple firearms I use at the range and for sporting purposes. I even use one for work! The likelihood of dying in a mass shooting is very rare, but they are happening more and more frequently. But there is that fear/dread component involved with public perception of these events. I know that my chances of dying in a plane crash are much lower than driving around town, but knowing that everyone on board is going to die when the plane goes down resulting in a disastrous body count is what people fear. Just like dozens of people dying in a mass shooting. Yes far more people die in ones, twos, and threes in car accidents and shootings every day that collectively far outnumber mass casualty events. But guns are scary to the public, especially in the hands of crazy people looking to kill innocent people. So the public will not stand by while these events keep on occurring. Handguns were used to kill intercity youth in the 1980s and were and remain heavily regulated to this day. Now 18 year old disturbed (usually white) boys can go buy a weapon of war and use it for its intended purpose the same day. As times have changed, doesn’t it make sense to more heavily regulate the weapon of choice? Why in this day and age is it easier to purchase the weapon being used in mass shootings than it is to purchase a handgun? Why are we calling to boycott Dicks because they are committing to only selling firearms for hunting purposes in light of recent events?

Smoothdraw. You should talk to Ace. He thinks liberals made up the term “assault weapons” to describe those devices so they can ban them. You mean the 2nd Amendment does not guarantee my right as a civilian to own a bazooka?

Wild Bill. Why is his “absurd” statement so absurd? His point was we need to draw the line somewhere. I can’t get a grenade launcher for obvious reasons but I can buy multiple weapons of war that have been in military service for over 50 years? Not sure I follow your logic on the Davenport killings. Because that happened in 1760 it is okay that the Petit slayings occurred modern-day? What has this got to do with AR 15s in the hands of civilians being used on other civilians?

21-Mar-18
His statement was absurd, because as I stated myself, THERE ALREADY IS A LINE. Stretching imagination to favor your position is a ploy.

Davenport = The founding fathers were not strangers to murder and mayhem and understood wickedness can be found in the hearts of other people. To paint them as having an different position on arms rights, in light of actual conditions today, is hypothetical and insincere. They insisted that government is to be feared and held in check, to not regulate and destroy the rights of the people.

"That is what you fear?" Am I and others to be mocked for this? More recent historical facts tell us that confiscation of citizen owned firearms precedes a slaughter of people that far surpasses the count of lives lost to what is already criminal activity. There are no inches left to give on the 2nd amendment, because too many miles have been swallowed up already.

The problem is more complex than gun control and involves a society with an increasing void in morality, due to failure to acknowledge the absolute right and wrong established by God.

21-Mar-18
Sounds like another over paid liberal trying to create more sheep . AR 15 is just like any other civilian semi auto firearm . All my years in the Marine corps I never saw or heard of a nation using one . You my friend are part of the problem. Shoot an M16 and you will quickly see the difference. The M 16 is full auto and empties a mag in just over a second. Even the M16 A2 version with only 3 round burst . Those rates are assault weapons. Any semi auto has the same rate as the AR 15 . Now with one 12 Ga. Loaded with buck shot in a pump gun you would have a heck of alot more carnage but these are kids playing games that fame an AR 15 rifle as the ideal weapon . Notice the family structure of these scum bags and you will learn the real problems with lack of faith and family the things liberal folk promote . Guns do not kill ! Sick misguided people do . It is not my opinion on what you need for your protection but for me I will own and operate what I feel is best for myself and my family and be assured I follow the Constitution in the manor it was intended for the people and not as a government would try to misconstrued to the people who are supposed to be in control.

21-Mar-18
WB, Yes I agree that the problem is much more complex than gun control. It does involve a society with an increasing void in morality. I’m not mocking your stance at all. It’s your right. I just don’t agree with your stance on high capacity weapons being legal (the inch you don’t want to give). If a 20th century tyrannical government did arise do you really think America could form a militia armed with AR 15s to stop it?

21-Mar-18
Your obsession is creepy and disturbing, you should probably see a professional about that.

“I cannot imagine the Founding Fathers could have envisioned the power and lethality of modern-day firearms and certainly could not fathom that American civilians would use them against other civilians when they wrote the 2nd Amendment“

But of course they were able to see the development of the Telephone, Television, Internet etc, so the 1st Amendment should applied to these things, right?

It’s clear that the Founders envisioned the Well Regulated Militia armed equal to any potential enemy force, with any weapon that they could “keep and bear” but some of you only care about your hunting arms.

The Federalist Papers and numerous quotes by the Founding Fathers made it perfectly clear that they wanted the masses armed and prepared Incase they saw the need for a RevWar Deux.

21-Mar-18
Or 21st century for that matter. Heck what do I know. I forgot what century we’re living in. Lol.

21-Mar-18
A standard AR 15 holds 30 rounds. It can be modified legally to hold 100. What is the point of that? Hunting...no. Defend against a tyrannical government... yes. Target shoot ... yes? Kill innocent kids ... yes. The fact is kids aren’t shooting up schools with 5 round shotguns with buckshot.

21-Mar-18
Maybe I am a little biased with my opinions but I’d say rightfully so. I teach middle school and have to huddle my students in the corner of the class once a month during a code red drill. I always have the doors locked and closed. This year a student made a threat to shoot up the school. Fun times having SWAT walking through the halls taking your students to gym class.

21-Mar-18
15:12. Another post from Ace with another dig. Check. And yet another dig that I do not understand. We are talking about the 2nd Amendment Ace, not the First. People’s freedom of speech isn’t being stifled, innocent kids are dying. You do not think that justifies raising the age limit to 21 on someone being able to purchase a civilian weapon designed to eliminate the enemy? As Bob said, are our hunting arms not as lethal as the “assault” style weapons you are defending?

BobHunt. I appreciate your service as well. I have shot plenty AR 15 rounds but never an M 16. Chuck a bump stock on the AR and you have a full auto weapon. You are suggesting the spray and pray approach of full auto is more lethal or just gets more lead downrange in a shorter period of time? Or are you just arguing as to what is defined as an assault-style weapon? Are you suggesting that these scum bag murderers are the product of liberal parenting? I find that hard to believe, in fact, I would argue they are the product of misguided conservative parenting. No one is suggesting taking your guns away. Why when gun regulations come up do people assume liberals are coming to take their guns away? Why then are we having a nationwide conversation about gun regulations with an R House, an R Senate, and an R President? Where are these gun-snatching liberals?

Bill. So I think given all the mass shootings using AR 15s the public is going to demand that line be shifted to raising the age limit to purchasing an AR to 21. I agree there is a bigger problem in society that is more complex than gun control, but increasing regulations on civilian “assault” style weapons I have no problem with as long as they are continued to be used to kill dozens of innocent people. I do not think the general public will have a problem with that either.

21-Mar-18
On this subject Dr. Williams I find you as completely miss informed and truly ignorant. More people die from handguns when it comes to firearms and hmm guess what by criminals but liberal loving free loading socialist preachers like yourself don't figure out how to stop that . We release dangerous criminals and illegal immigrants to the streets and expect the law abiding to be made out as the fault of bad liberal policy so they can get cheap votes . Again guns don't kill !!! Society has issues that need to be addressed much deeper than the tool used to commit murder . Bring back capital punishment and make prison like it should be hard times !!!

21-Mar-18
Banning certain firearms or magazines holding more than 10 rounds will save zero lives. Keeping convicted violent criminals in jail for their entire sentence will prevent future crimes and save lives. Liberals support one of these positions, guess which one?

I wonder why.

21-Mar-18
I own about 2 dozen firearms so to call me "miss informed [sic]" doesn't really work. As I said, the stats show that more people are killed one or two at a time and no one really adds them up. What the public fears are mass casualty events like plane crashes and mass shootings that usually involve AR 15s. That's a fact. And if they can regulate that to appease those fears, they will despite what the stats say. Upping the age to purchase those weapons of war seems like a logical first step all can agree to. If you guys want criminals incarcerated in perpetuity, I hope you are willing to open your wallets to pay taxes to keep them fed, clothed, and taken care of.

Were any of the mass shooters I mentioned previously incarcerated and released prematurely? Nope. And I'd wager a guess if they were old enough to vote, and if they in fact voted, it wasn't for Hillary. Your arguments blaming liberals don't make sense.

21-Mar-18
The worst part is, high schools and their teachers are now preaching the liberal way here in ct. Example, you can have a young demorcrat club but not a young Republicans club, that's in Colchester. My son's U.S. government civics class must use CNN as a source and only CNN. Good thing is that like the most of us, we/ they are tired of being bullied.

21-Mar-18
1st off you keep tossing in weapons of war that clearly indicates your lack of knowledge name one standing Army that uses The AR 15 !!! 2nd why are we not more focused on the real issue's of the people behind the crimes and how to reduce that problem . Protect our children with armed Law Abiding Citizens . 3rd why is it when a threat is ended with an AR 15 ( Texas Church shooting ) gets no coverage on national media but when a school that has protection from a failed officer and his leadership and a criminal with over 40 police visits gets a boost from the media to push an anti agenda . The same people who want to ban your rights and limit them will fail to protect you . 4th we do not live under a bill of needs we have a BILL OF RIGHTS .

21-Mar-18
Bob. As Ace educated us, the AR 15 was invented first and so effective that the M16 was a spin off which was adopted and used by the US Military from 1964-modern day, effectively making it a weapon of war but not technically an assault rifle/weapon. The armed resource officer at Parkland was there, but did not engage. The shooter was a person of concern and was reported to law enforcement multiple times and nothing happened, perhaps due to the fact Florida is a conservative pro-gun state. Can't blame liberals on this one. Everyone has a gun in their glovebox in Florida.

CT is a blue state. We used to have lots of gun manufacturers and incredibly lax gun laws until the very unfortunate event that happened in Sandy Hook. Your boys should start a young Repub club!

21-Mar-18
The AR 15 and M16 look the same the internals are different which makes the cyclic rate on the M16 700-950 rounds a min auto or 45-60 a min semi where as AR 15 even made illegally into a full auto would burn up at 400 rounds per min due to the gas feed system . Like all semi auto guns it can only shoot 1 time per trigger pull . Banning of this one weapon will lead to further bans because killers will get whatever they feel they need to commit there crimes . The next thing you know your good old 10/22 will be next just because they made up a new law . Time for you to realize they hate guns and want them gone unless of course your protecting them because they will always have protection .

21-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/youtube-suspends-major-gun-manufacturer-bans-instructional-gun-videos/ar-BBKv9f4

21-Mar-18
Interesting about rounds/minute. I'd think ammo weight would be the limiting factor as 900 .223 rounds weigh about 25 pounds. Seems semi auto would be preferred to limit ammo.

Back to your previous post. I know that an AR 15 was used to subdue the TX shooter and even hinted as such in a previous post. The irony was not lost on me. But it is going to be a hard sell, even in Texas, to suggest that AR 15s are good because one was used to subdue a murderer who had just killed 26 people, with an AR 15. That's not a liberal thing. It's a fact, and it happened in Texas, which aside from Austin, is not very liberal.

21-Mar-18
Doc, glad you volunteered yourself as one of the a-holes on this site. And if my auto correct spelling is the only dig you can pick up,. ...the your title is well deserved.

Liberals are ruining this country. Let's start with calling killing babies as a woman's right to her body. Then all kids get a trophy because no one loses. Spanking your kids gets you jail time and you can pray in school but you can teach them that John had 2 mom's. Liberal social programs pay people more NOT to work than they could get doing honest labor. So when little Johnny doesn't have his life go his way he takes his gun and makes everyone pay. And the liberal Hollywood stars making movies that depict murders and mahem blame the gun, just like you. Ignore the process that got Johnny to that point.

My position is simple. Guns for personal protection and hunting need just 3 rounds. I don't care what they look like. All guns are weapons of war, if they need to be.

21-Mar-18
Republican... Democrat. I don’t give a crap about either. Just make schools safer. More well trained security officers ... yes. Better job identifying potential shooters ... yes. Teachers with concealed weapons... maybe if it’s Dirty Harry teaching Algebra. Banning high capacity weapons... yes. Capital punishment ... yes.

21-Mar-18
Doc, so you own a lot of guns and that equates to being an expert? Really?! I own several cars but I'm neither a Nascar driver or a Master mechanic. What that does make you is an a,.......

21-Mar-18

Deep Cut's embedded Photo
Deep Cut's embedded Photo
Good guys with guns buying ice cream.

22-Mar-18
That's 3 times you've called me an a-hole BBB in as many posts. Don't you have any more ammo than that? Anything more to add than name calling? I may have a different perspective than a couple other guys on this site about guns, but that does not make me ignorant, liberal, or an a-hole. Just means I'm expressing a difference in opinion. Isn't that was sites like this are for? Instead of resorting to name calling, feel free to share your opinion too.

22-Mar-18
Doc - I said is once, and only after you volunteered to be part of the group. I gave my opinion on this topic - "My position is simple. Guns for personal protection and hunting need just 3 rounds. I don't care what they look like. All guns are weapons of war, if they need to be."

BTW - I might also be one of the a-holes on this site at times.

22-Mar-18
I disagree with the 3 rounds because it should be the individual who legally owns and operates there weapons system to make that decision. The people have the right to keep and bear arms and should be able to defend against enemies foreign and domestic and yes for the bleeding heart liberals our own government when it becomes tyrannical and tries to run the people. This is a government that was built with a Constitution of inalienable rights that the people have a republic to vote and guide the nation. It can be amended but it requires the majority of the states to agree to make those amendments. Not the five idiot run Blue States. People need to remember our military swore to uphold the Constitution and I'm sure the majority would not fight against the people but would stand with them in defending the Constitution.

22-Mar-18
Deep-Cut Great picture!! How can we send a few hundred down to Florida and drop a few off at our local senators on the way? They might get nervous about losing a few youth votes!!

22-Mar-18
Note to self: Don’t discuss religion or politics/ guns on Bowsite. Stick to bows and deer hunting. Nothing good ever comes out of these discussions. In the end the majority will dictate the laws of the land. Or at least I hope that’s how it works. Sorry for any bad blood. Notme is providing trophies for everyone that participated in this discussion.

22-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/BbVeEdyZrUI

22-Mar-18
Smoothdraw,

The majority absolutely does not dictate the laws of this country, never has, hopefully never will. We are not a democracy, we are a constitutional republic. The Constitution and laws that are consistent with the constitution govern, not the majority of citizens.

If the majority governed a simple majority could overturn the constitution, bill of rights, electoral process etc, at a whim. That is not the way it works and our government are laws are structured specifically to prevent majority rule.

The Senate, the electoral college, the bill of rights, constitutional limitations of government power, the supreme court are all obvious examples of the majority not ruling. The only branch of our government that could remotely be characterized as majority rule is the house of representatives and their power to act is limited by almost every other part of government not governed by the majority.

22-Mar-18
Thanks Toonces. You’re right. I forgot how politics work. Congress makes the laws. Democrats vs Republicans. The opinions from the majority of Americans mean crappola just like Notme’s Youtube link.

22-Mar-18
I wanted to not post anything here soooo bad. But I'm weak and have been lured in :)

Smoothdraw nailed it for me. There is a line someplace to be drawn. I had a big long note to follow that, but cut it. In the end, that's where it is for me.

22-Mar-18
Smoothdraw,

Being governed by the majority opinin is one of the things our founding father's most feared. The specifically and intentionally created a government that would not be governed by the majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

Maybe you should move to another country that has majority rule if that is really what you want.

22-Mar-18
Smooth might change his mind if the majority of us voted that he give us access to his private hunting properties.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

22-Mar-18
Thanks for the read on the Tyranny of the Majority. I guess that type of rule doesn’t make much sense either. Yeah Ace that would suck for me. I like the wolf and lamb analogy! Sorry I roped you in Will. I’m trying to get the h*ll out of this discussion. I like living here but I guess Fiji would be a good alternative. I don’t care what kind of government it has.

22-Mar-18
I'm glad to hear your perspective and opinions. Internet message boards would be boring if everyone agreed with one another.

22-Mar-18
Im mot sure but i think the woman out number the men on fiji by something like 15 - 1...most look like wrestlings the wild samoans...lol

Will.just do like me, interject with nonsense and stupidity..throws them off their game for a second or two..lol

22-Mar-18
Notme, let me try.

Elephants eat rhino puppies and that's why chocolate looks like asparagus. Muzzles are for candy canes which are made of pavement and ridden by golden elves with watermelon helmets.

:) How'd I do bud?

23-Mar-18
With some tootalage Youll be learnin the fine art of bafflement..lol

23-Mar-18
It was interesting to read the Southington Observer this morning where a letter to the editor about the student walkout described how-

"Many of my classmates were against the walkout, claiming it was a pointless action to stop any violence. Not a minute after we got of the building, students held up Make America Great Again flags, NRA memorabila and signs that read Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

I guess there are several young people who agree with our 2nd amendment rights! The other striking thing about this letter to the editor was that the school prohibited the press from the school campus to cover the rally. Wonder why???

23-Mar-18
Raincheck on Fiji

23-Mar-18
One can be pro-Second Amendment and also not want innocent people killed with firearms.

23-Mar-18
No one wants innocent lives taken by anything , unfortunately life happens. Sick and twisted people live in this world and not all of them can be saved . We had major government failures in the last couple shootings and that is proof government is not going to be the guiding light in this situation and it is up to the people to stop crazy people and help them to receive the help needed. Sorry you can't see why we are the greatest Nation but people still flock to become part of it for a reason . Just wish they would be vetted and made more clearly aware that its is what can they do for this country and not what the country can do for them . Heck look at all the folks that threatened to move to Canada if Trump where elected and they're still here. LMAO our betters right the ones preaching on TV to abolish our 2nd amendment and that it's out dated but ask them to be restrained on the 1st what would happen. History repeats itself all the time in other countries. There is nothing that says what are Constitution protects us against happening in our Free Country couldn't happen here without the Constitution. Stripping or limiting one Right will make the same possible for all other rights.

23-Mar-18
Doc - thank you Captain Obvious!

23-Mar-18

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

23-Mar-18
I see "regular" folks discussing things like: "is the 2A relevant" or "should it be abolished". Bur rare is my liberal friend who actually feels that way. Maybe I dont watch the correct news or opinion tv stations, but I've never heard actual talking heads suggest that the 2A be overturned or abolished. I've heard folks discuss things like putting limitations on it. But even liberal leaders, I've never heard anything more than trying to make some sort of system which reduces the ability of bad people to buy guns legally. Heck, there was a town meeting during President Obama's last year where he was asked a pointed question on this, and his answer was basically that "lawful folks should be able to use guns for sporting, hunting, self protection reasons. I'm in favor of that." That's not a person working tirelessly to take our guns.

This is where I get lost. The message I hear in most "liberals" discussions, starts here: "You can have guns, we just would like to verify you are a good person first, sorry for the couple hurdles you will have to jump (background checks etc) through." And when it's heard by by right leaning friends it goes through some filtering device so it sounds like this: "We will abolish the 2A, anyone who wants a gun is a homicidal maniac, and zealot who should be in a concentration camp, oh and we love Stalin".

I said it on the other thread. I'm all for the 2nd Amendment. Love my guns and look forward to handing them to my kids when I'm old. I just dont see how a solid system of background checks and, heck, Ill raise that to say even an age shift for purchase (not use, that's up to parents or the gvmt for millitary or similar public safety fields where extensive training would be performed compared to civilian use) negatively impacts honest, good people. Because if you are a good person, those checks will have zero impact on your ability to have guns.

I do not believe that's the start of a gun heist. I dont believe that's the start of abolishing the second amendment. In that scenario, if you live a good life, you can enjoy all your rights. If you dont, if you have a felony, or you beat your wife or assaulted some one or drove high/drunk etc. Sorry, not sorry - YOU made the choice to limit your rights. That is on the individual.

23-Mar-18
"WB, Yes I agree that the problem is much more complex than gun control."-Smoothdraw " I agree there is a bigger problem in society that is more complex than gun control, but"-Dr.Williams

BIG problems should be FIRST on our "to do" list, but, why is there not agreement on and work being done, to remedy that?

Approaching the evolving problems with the same weak/lame solutions, does not effect the changes needed to properly address the solution. There was a time in our history when these acts were unthinkable, on the scale they now exist. Why should God help us save children's lives when we legalize murder of the unborn? Why should God protect our schools when his existence is forbidden to be spoken of there? American rights and liberties are inalienable ONLY because they are from God. The socialist/progressive mindset has declared God dead and powerless. The ramifications of this indoctrination are all around each and every one of us, but nobody seems to care in learning the truth. The first question from God to man in the Bible is, "Where are you. "Step by step, inch by inch, here a little, there a little we move farther and farther down the path of deception towards the great utopia promised, and never actualized.

The future looks bleak if we continue as we have.

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2Chronicles 7:14

If you are one of his people, you can make a difference, if not, you are part of the problem.

23-Mar-18
Damn Will, you're posting something that makes sense in regards to gun laws. I'm "progressive" with a liberal view in regards to the less fortunate.

23-Mar-18
Will, cuntrytocity,

Our division is by design.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

23-Mar-18
Ah, I dont see division. I see different opinions. My experience in life tells me that if people with different opinions can seek compromise, vs demonizing one another amazing benefits lay ahead for each. Those benefits may not appear equal, and sometimes, they may manifest in other areas down the road... but they appear.

In this case, we gun owners get to verify for the "man" that we are good people, we can be glad that people who make bad choices don't get to have the same rights as good people, and those who chose not to partake in the 2nd amendment feel they are safer.

23-Mar-18
I submit that the 2nd Amendment is already so encumbered that the criminals are the only ones NOT having their rights infringed.

Nobody has answered this one: What law, had it been in place, would have prevented any of these shootings? Why would the Parkland Shooter have obeyed the age restriction on buying a rifle? He was willing to commit murder! Are you proposing a penalty for buying a rifle under 21 years old that would have a punishment more severe than that for murder? Do you honestly think he would have given up on his plans because a Gun shop couldn't sell him an AR? That's a real question.

Now consider this: Has an 18, 19 or 20 year old ever used a firearm to defend their own life or that of a loved one? What if they hadn't been able to buy that gun? This is a perfect example of a proposed gun law that will save not 1 life, and may actually cost some.

The need to "do something" should come with the painfully obvious second part: 'but not something that wiill make it worse'. Banning Magazines with a Capacity of over 10 rounds or banning a semi-auto rifle that looks like a Military Rifle saves zero lives, that has been established and proven. I won't apologize for not being willing to give up my right Just because some of you THINK it sounds good, or makes you FEEL as if you are accomplishing something positive.

Again, tell me a proposed law tha will save lives, (and explain how it will save lives). Maybe you can come up with something, we 2nd Amendment people are reasonable sorts, we just hate useless government intrusion.

"One can be pro-Second Amendment and also not want innocent people killed with firearms." Actually, everyone pro 2nd Amendment doesn't want innocent people killed. Some of the Anti 2nd Amendment people are quite obviously willing to sacrifice a bunch of lives to achieve their objectives.

23-Mar-18
Ace/Will - you guys need to get together to discuss this topic because each of you have touched upon different pieces of this argument that are important. Ace is correct, there's no law that will stop anyone from breaking it. I don't care if it's shoplifting from Walmart, or a mass shooting, both are illegal and yet people find a way to do it.

Will - you won't find anyone saying out loud "We want all your guns!" The reason is obvious, it's because that would create a huge crisis in this country with gun owners, but it's what the liberal left wants,.....don't be fooled by their political speak about just bump stocks, or just background checks or just age restrictions or just the way a gun looks. When they point to other countries, like the UK, that have severe restrictions on guns (I think they allow 22cal. handguns and shotgun for hunting and it's difficult to get either) they are saying they want all your guns.

The bomber in Texas proved that a twenty something year old with a computer can find out how to make bombs to do the killing. And the cop that shot the kid in the Maryland school proved that a good gun can stop a bad. People with bad intentions will find a way to do it.

The root cause is the breakdown of society in my opinion and I think it's the lack of a strong family unit and lack of religion in society. This is a generation of "What's right for me is all that matters." But that's a much more difficult problem for the politicians and high school protesters to even recognize and acknowledge. They would rather ignore the root cause and try to cure the symptoms.

23-Mar-18
Banning high capacity weapons would have saved the lives of those students in Florida. We’ll never know what the shooter would have done had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A big problem I have is that the FBI is incompetent. The shooter posted on social media that he wanted to be a professional school shooter. This was brought to the FBI’s attention. How hard would it have been to put his name on the list of “Hey, don’t sell a gun to this guy, he’s crazy”. Idiots.

23-Mar-18
Ditto!

23-Mar-18
Well said Ace . Thanks

23-Mar-18
CDC says we have 500,000 to upward of 3 million lives saved to firearms each year by law abiding people but the news doesn't want people to know that . Dr. Williams you sould know that especially since you're all about data and facts I think you need to start getting them correct and not from CNN and MSNBC both owned by people that hate America to begin with. Do you really think the people on there putting out the propaganda really care about you or I it's all about the globalist owners intentions. Wake up America. Remember our military is only as strong on the Homeland as the people who are on the Homeland to defend it.

23-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/GL9rBAjut2g

23-Mar-18
“Experts say national tragedies such as Wednesday’s rarely lead to changes in federal gun laws because people burrow further on their own side of the fence. States with tight gun restrictions squeeze tighter. States with loose laws open up more. States are likely to do more of the same, while Congress is likely to be deadlocked on the issue of guns. “

I found this exerpt from USAToday. Sounds like us. The best solution is to find some common ground. Start by beefing up security at schools and more complete background checks / systems. The government should make that a priority. Along with fixing society!

23-Mar-18
Not all problems have solutions. Part of the problem with politicians is that they think there must be governmental solution to every problem and one of the problems with citizens is that they think the government must be able to solve all problems.

I wouldn't do have our government do anything. Free societies have inherent risks. This is one of them. Risk mitigation is not worth price we would have to pay in freedom.

23-Mar-18
BobHunt. The CDC is a taxpayer-funded federal agency subject to the Freedom of Information Act. As such, these data are readily available to anyone who wants them. One just needs to ask. I do not think the “news doesn’t want people to know that.” Can you provide a direct link to the CDC study that shows that 500,000 – 3 million people are saved by guns annually? I do not doubt it, would just like to see where those numbers came from.

CNN and MSNBC are “owned by people who hate America???” Ted Turner was born in Ohio, was expelled from Brown University before receiving his diploma for having a female student in his dorm room, owned the Atlanta Braves, and was married to Jane Fonda. Does it get any more American than that? Plus he gave $1 billion to the United Nations to broaden domestic support for the UN and co-founded an organization to prevent proliferation of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Turner. And MSNBC is owned by NBCUniversal News Group, a huge media conglomerate. NBC, home to Monday Night Football and NASCAR hates America? Wait, what?

I would argue these folks are way more American for daylighting the BS propaganda from the likes of FoxNews Tucker Carlson, the kid everyone wanted to beat up for wearing Nantucket reds and that stupid required sailboat belt whose parent’s Suburban had a decade’s worth of over-sand permits lined up on the rear bumper from wheel well to wheel well. The guy who was complaining yesterday about the kids protesting in Florida saying “If they’re too young to buy guns, why should they be making my gun laws?” Claiming the kids are “not citizens” because “they’re not 18.” Yeah, that guy loves America. Angry, rich, privileged, out-of-touch white guy, marching the R party right out of the House, Senate, and White House. Sound like anyone else in the news these days? Hint, his name rhymes with Monald Drump.

Personally, I think a gun in the classroom with the kids’ teacher is just dumb and asking for trouble. But on-site SWAT style weaponry sealed away and monitored by resource officers/deputies/trained staff for super rapid response which would then eliminate the “soft target” stigma of schools, I would be behind 100%. This isn’t to say a deranged lunatic could not find another soft target.

23-Mar-18
Fine... keep your assault weapons. Have a blast. But I don’t think it’s too much to ask your government to increase security at schools and have more thorough background checks. Maybe the NRA can help finance it. The federal gun laws will keep swaying based on which party controls Congress.

23-Mar-18
"Banning high capacity weapons would have saved the lives of those students in Florida."

Oh yeah, the "ban" would have stopped him? How is that possible, a law is written on a piece of paper, THE GUY WAS WILLING TO COMMIT MURDER let that sink in. You obviously haven't thought that one through. Why would he care about breaking one more law?

By the way, what is a "high capacity weapon"? Are you referring to the magazine? Reloads take seconds. Are you referring to the caliber of the rifle? a 5.56 is not a high power rifle.

It's frustrating when even gun owners know so little about which they speak. You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not however entitled to your own facts.

23-Mar-18
High capacity “magazine”... sorry! The AR 15 is not defined as an assault weapon ... sorry. It would not be an efficient gun to take down an elk. It is an accurate and easy gun to shoot ... deadly too.

If clips held a maximum of three bullets that’s alot of reloads. But then I suppose the shooter would just arm himself with a bunch of handguns. I guess there’s no one solution. Maybe you’re right again. It just seems like it’s way too easy for these crazies to shoot up a school. I’m not willing to write off the lives of these students as the price we pay for “freedom”. What do you suggest this country does? These shootings have put a sense of fear into students. When the fire alarm goes off some kids think twice about going outside.

23-Mar-18
"These shootings have put a sense of fear into students."

Nothing new there, and a healthy fear at that.

I recall being shuffled out into the school corridor, away from the windows, and being instructed to kneel down facing the wall, put my face to the floor with one forearm under my forehead and the other across the back of my neck, because an a-bomb was coming from the commies, to waste the country. Oh, and no talking. Fear? You could hear a pin drop as we all hunched over and wondered what it would be like to get nuked. Still a threat we face today, ala N.Korea, which by the way has an stringent gun control program, the envy of the left.

Yes Virginia, there are evil characters in your world, not all are Santa.

23-Mar-18
He was clearly referring to the capacity of the weapon as you quoted him in that. You inferred the "high power rifle." He never said that. You did. It's frustrating when gun owners insert their own words into other gun owners mouths, even when they quote them directly.

23-Mar-18
Wow 3 round clip's last time I used them I was in the military and they came with 10 rounds and pushed right into the magazine definitely made loading those standard capacity 30 round magazines easy . Not to break your stone's but I have 3 grade school kids and would feel much more comfortable If school staff that wanted to be trained watched over them . Secure the schools and protect the children stop letting the left propose banning what is now already in the hands of millions of Law Abiding Citizens . Find away to treat the hard problem mental illness . Remember most mass murders plan on dying anyways they just need it to happen at the beginning of there crime not after a court makes a sentence or in CT case life in prison and probable release on some loophole .

23-Mar-18
Smooth, you mentioned fire drills. Schools have fire alarms, sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers, do you know how many kids have died in fires in a school in the last 50 years? Zero. We have prepared for the threat and dealt with it. And we have succeeded in eliminating It, but of course we stay vigilant.

What’s the answer? Make schools a (much) harder target. Arm any responsible adult working there who is willing to meet the training requirements. Many of these people are ex military, or already qualify to carry outside of school. Of course they can be trusted inside the school. They already have our kids lives in their hands, give them the appropriate and necessary tools to fight the threat. Nobody is suggesting that we insist that teachers carry a firearm, just allow the ones who want to, to do so. Train every school worker in how to spot a threat, and how to react. The lack of response from several law enforcement agencies and the school itself in FL was unconscionable. That kid was begging for someone to stop him, nobody would.

I’d add metal detectors to every door used to enter the school. Why the heck do we do that for a courthouse and not a schoolhouse? While we are at it, we have to stop the under-reporting of crimes in the schools. If you break the law in a school, you get the same treatment as if you did it in public.

School shooters have shown themselves to be cowards, almost always ending their own life at the first sign of resistance. I say let’s have them meet that resistance sooner. These teachers are fighting back when a shooter enters their classroom, but they are doing it with chairs and clipboards, how the heck can we not want them to have appropriate tools?

Israel had school shootings until they put firearms in the classrooms, now they do not.

We can try an experiment, arm staff in half the schools, parents can choose which school to send their kids to. I know where I am sending my kids. Where do you think the next school shooter will show up?

Will we ever eliminate all mass shooting? Probably not, but if we keep insisting on trying things that have no chance of working, we won’t even slow them down. Hard targets get targeted less often. Why do 90+ % of these shooting happen in places where people can’t carry firearms? The answer to that is obvious yet is lost on some.

23-Mar-18
Ace - great point. My theory may be entirely wrong based on that cdc info of 300K to 3mil lives saved annually. That seems almost impossible to me, so as with the doc, I'd love a link to that. 3mil is a number so high that it raises a curiosity flag for me. For example, in 2016 a bit under 600K people died from cancer in the US. Technically like 595K ish. So that stat on guns would suggest that more people were saved by firearms than died of cancer a couple years ago. Seems very hard to believe. I say that only because most of us personally know at least several folks who have died of cancer. I only know one or two people that died of gunshot wounds (not including wars) and those were self inflicted. Again, I'm not saying that stat is wrong, just that it seems so high I'd love to see how it was calculated.

End point, if that is correct, my whole "theory" may be wrong.

Back to your question though Ace. How could a law - say good background checks maybe age of purchase change - save lives. Well, I dont know that it would relative to the school shootings we have had. But I'm not limiting lives to that. What if those BASIC laws prevent say 100 people from being killed by firearms? It's not going to save everyone. It cant. But, to save a few people, I'm totally fine with going through all the background checks, having to take the class, renew my permit, get fingerprinted, keep my nose clean. I just dont see why those things are hard. Sure, for a couple days every decade (at least up here in MA) I have to deal with it. That doesnt seem like a big thing in exchange for even 1 person getting to go home to their family to me.

I do agree with Bob fully on the family and social unit of people. At the risk of ruffling feathers, I dont think religion is a factor. I'm not going deeper than that. I'm not diving into that worm hole. Did that on the other thread and it just took it off the rails, so I'm not going there here. I just believe that a good social unit is a key in keeping people healthy and on track.

23-Mar-18
Other than Doc, I think everyone has touched upon valid points of this argument. We need to keep in mind we all have the best interest of all of our safety in mind. Tightening up on background checks, pulling fully auto attachments, improve school safety, better information sharing, etc are all great ideas. Listening to the talking heads on CNN or MSNBC (or Doc) is a waste of time. Let's keep in mind we're on the same team, except for Doc. He was never picked on the playground,.....or here either.

23-Mar-18
I believe that recently there were 38 states that had reported less than 80% of their ineligible people to the NICS system. That's inexcusable if we are really trying to keep firearms out of the hands of those who are not supposed to have them. That should be pretty easy to fix, if the will to fix it is there. In addition Felons are prohibited from even possessing a firearm. That's a Federal felony with up to 10 years in prison, why is that not tacked onto every conviction where it applies?

70% of the violent crimes are committed by 6% of the criminals, keep those guys in jail and watch the crime rate plummet even more.

There is a lot we can do, all it takes is honesty about what works and the will to do it. Nobody proposed cardboard box control or banning electronic timers and wire after the Austin Bombings. If people keep blaming inanimate objects, nothing will get better.

23-Mar-18
I went to central high in bridgeport in the early 70's..at least twice a year there was a racial riot between all the major players..after the time i was there they finaly stopped with metal detectors and a heavy police presence patrolling outside and armed security inside..its been working in all 3 high schools ever since and these are 4000+kid schools..i dont understand why people are so up in arms about the subject its not a new thing..

23-Mar-18
When are they going to ban cars because of all the lousy drivers out there? I spent my whole life trying to obey the laws and then I get equated with mass- murdering kooks and other such types. I have been called a murderer and a terrorist. No compromise for me.

23-Mar-18
Ace, man... THAT is so true. Checks etc only work if the greater system works.

24-Mar-18
The sad truth is that if bad people want to do bad things, there is little we can legislate to stop them. Box cutters, rental trucks, pressure cookers and other items will always be available. Sadly, the politicians will always take advantage during the aftermath so as to "not let a good crisis go to waste," and publicly push for new laws even though many of the existing laws are never enforced. They are more concerned about getting reelected as opposed to fixing problems

24-Mar-18
We Bowsiters should take over Congress. At least we’re willing to talk to each other despites our views and find some common ground. Something might actually get accomplished. The majority of politicians have their own agenda and only really care about getting re-elected. WB, you’re aging yourself. Lol. Crazy that you had to do nuke drills!

24-Mar-18
Nuke drills. . . . been there done that. When the B-52s would fly over during their exercises, my heart rate increased. You could hear them but not see them. Fighter jets use to break the sound barrier on a regular basis. I remember reading pamphlets about the safest part of your basement to shelter in.

24-Mar-18
I am circa 1968 and remember doing air raid drills in elementary school. I always wondered how hiding under my school desk was supposed to protect me from nukes.

24-Mar-18
I had to go to the dark side of the cave for the T-Rex drills. Try kissing your butt good bye in the dark.

24-Mar-18

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/4vDdJBV2Fes

24-Mar-18
Love the old he movies.

25-Mar-18
All this ranting about gun control for the safety of the kids, really? Then why haven't we installed seat belts on school buses? Anyone care to research the death toll of school children on buses and compare it to student death, in/on school property, by guns?

My granddaughter was saddened that she has to be seated farther back in the bus, because the driver reserves the front seat for those who act up. I'm certain the drivers would love a means to restrain some of them. How about if the belts are not engaged, the bus won't move?

25-Mar-18
Saw this posted on another blog.

“I am old enough to remember when people used to march to get their rights, not take them away from someone else.”

Makes me believe the sheeple in Washington are really doing "Marx for our Lives."

• Sitka Gear