Thornton 23-Mar-18
JB 23-Mar-18
Kansasclipper 23-Mar-18
Shawn 23-Mar-18
Kansasclipper 23-Mar-18
Shawn 24-Mar-18
Kansasclipper 24-Mar-18
28-Feb-18
I was curious the other day and started looking to see if NR #s were decreasing. I was only able to find stats for 2017 which shows 20,995 permits issued. I didn't realize it was that high. So, my question is...were the #s higher in 15, 16? I personally know a few NR's who didn't get draw in 2016 but didn't hear of any who didn't in 17.

28-Feb-18
I can’t find any stats from previous years either, so not much help. Maybe someone has them saved. Would be interesting to look back. Did have a friend miss out last year. He was obviously in the minority though. Nine of the units had more first-choice applications than permits authorized. But the leftover tags outnumbered the guys who missed out completely. So everyone certainly had a chance at a tag... Would be nice to get some definitive harvest statistics published. The new biologist acted like he plans to stick with random surveys when I asked over the weekend at the KBA update. With the recent droughts and ehd issues they probably wouldn’t coincide with selling as many or more permits as they have been though.

28-Feb-18
Rick, there are 21816 tags available during the initial draw, the 20995 number is how many drew Whitetail tags, there was also 202 muley tags,..the balance of Whitetail tags,..800+ were also sold as leftovers..

The state has basically sold out for the last 4 or 5 yrs.. The state lowered quota numbers by 202 tags a few yrs ago.. Archery has seen a large increase in participants..especially since xguns have been allowed.. Whats your questions? I have the pdf files which go back several yrs..

28-Feb-18
I have put in for a tag 3 yrs in a row 15,16,17drew a tag in 17trust me we dont get one every fricken yr Z we have private land and cant hunt it

28-Feb-18
LOVE YA Z BUT THATS THE TRUTH

01-Mar-18
Being able not to draw every year would be the best possible thing to ever happen in Kansas. Smaller more manageable data wise GMUs and single hunt units only. We need to catch up to Western States who have been catering to the out of area hunters for years.

01-Mar-18
Frank, i know numerous nr dont draw every yr..im not seeing where i have ever said they always draw. The nr draw pdf shows the tag quota doesnt meet demand. Its always nr like yourself who think we should be an otc state, like yours... I have no issue if ks wants to raise nr fees to $800, and drop the quota by 4000 hunters.. If you want to hunt here every yr, you either need to move here or buy your own 80a.

01-Mar-18
Frank, "you have private land and can't hunt it". Is this land leased or do you own it?

01-Mar-18
My best friends dad has 260 ac has owened it for about 35yrs

01-Mar-18
Frank, I have three friends who have put in for the draw a few different years they have not drawn. Would you lease land if you knew you could not draw a tag but every three years?

01-Mar-18
No there is a guy running cattle on it and we turkey hunt it every year Great Turkey hunting

01-Mar-18
Hey Z you gotta room for rent?

01-Mar-18
Tag quota does meet demand statewide. You might not get to sit in your favorite tree or on your best cornpile, but the 826 leftovers certainly cover the 251 guys who didn’t draw last year.

01-Mar-18
Matte, I think guys would lease land to hunt very 3rd year. Guys do it in Iowa.

01-Mar-18
Best thing about cornpiles is they are easy to create

01-Mar-18
Z, sorry, my original post didn't represent my question well. So, here is another try! Are NR applications trending up or down over the last 3 years or so? I saw more NR's in 2015 than any other year. I usually keep tabs on the trucks driving around the area where I hunt. I didn't see very many in 2016 and 2017. That is what lead me to ask this question. Personally, I think Iowa is doing good things with their handling of NRs. But like many have said before, politicians only see the $$$.

01-Mar-18
Frank, If the property you own is large enough you can buy a NR LO tag if I'm not mistaken.

01-Mar-18
For purchase over the counter, online or by phone: • $87.50 Nonresident Hunt-Own-Land Deer Permit (available at vendor locations)

*Available to nonresident individuals who qualify as Kansas landowners. Permit valid for any white-tailed or mule deer only on land owned or operated by the nonresident landowner, during muzzleloader-only, archery, and firearm seasons using equipment legal for that season. Available at vendor locations August 1 - Dec. 31 • $87.50 Special Hunt-Own-Land Relative Deer Permit (available at vendor locations)

*Available to individuals who qualify as lineal ascendants or descendants or siblings of resident landowners or all tenants, and spouses of a qualifying landowner. Permit valid for any white-tailed or mule deer only on land owned or operated by landowner or tenant during muzzleloader-only, archery, and firearm seasons using equipment legal for that season. Lineal relatives include direct ascendants or descendants such as a grandfather, mother, son, or granddaughter. Cousins, uncles, or nieces are NOT lineal family members. You would also need to purchase an annual hunting license. Available at vendor locations August 1 - Dec. 31

Hunter must first have a nonresident deer permit that allows the taking of an antlered deer, unless purchased after Dec. 30: • $52.50 Nonresident Antlerless White-tailed Deer permit (any white-tailed deer without a visible antler).

*White-tailed Antlerless Deer permit (any white-tailed deer without a visible antler protruding from the skull) Available over the counter August 1 - Dec. 31

Number of Whitetail Antlerless-Only (WAO) Permits a hunter may purchase is 5 but they may use them as follows:

The first antlerless whitetail permit shall be valid for units 1 thru 17 and 19, including lands managed by the department.

Four additional antlerless whitetail permits may be purchased and are valid in units TBD.

01-Mar-18
http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees/Deer/Deer-Permit-Purchasing-Guide

01-Mar-18
Ks allows 21816 NR tags, Iowa allows 6000 NR tags

Ks has about 2.9m residents, IA has about 3.3m residents

Ks has about 82,000 sq miles, IA has about 56,000 sq,miles

Ks allows 1 buck per resident hunter, IA allows 2 and up to 3 bucks per resident hunter, Both Ks and IA allow 1 buck per NR hunter

Ks has no idea how may tags were filled, IA hunters reported 105,544 kills in 2017, Which was up 4100 from 2016

Neither IA or Ks regulates Outfitters

IA does not allow xguns for all during their archery season, IA does not allow high power rifles..they have just recently allowed straight wall rifles.

I dont think IA is the poster child some like to make it..

01-Mar-18
To answer your question Rick,

Ks allows a max of 21816 NR tags. They basically sell all of them each yr. The addition of xguns created a new influx of NR hunters, some who come once, others who are leasing ground, using outfitters, or diy public land,..or also here with a friend, like Frank..the new influx has resulted in other NR hunters having to sit out a yr..depending on the unit and demand..

If im not mistaken, 2016 was the 1st yr that NR demand exceeded the entire tag quota during the initial draw..where as last yr saw a decrease in the initial draw..regardless, the state sold all the left over tags. It appears that nr tag applicants has somewhat stabilized..

It will be interesting to see what happens this April..dont expect results until may.

Ks does not have 25k, or 30k or more nr hunters wanting in..numbers peaked in the 23k range then slid back by about 2k applicants

Let me see if i can find time to get the real numbers from the pdf files.

Im headed to IA tomorrow,... :)

01-Mar-18
Drbonner i dont own the land my friends dad does so we cant draw that tag. We can get tennat lease tags but trust me wardens will use any reason to give nrs a hard time its not worth it. If i draw a tag great if not im ok with it. We always put in buddy system so we both draw or not. Allways have turkeys!!

01-Mar-18
How can you get a tenant lease tag?

01-Mar-18
I highly question that too Matt.

02-Mar-18
You can't unless you live on the place and it's your address.

02-Mar-18
I dont know how it it is now but it used to read if you had a signed lease had a investment in land or reaped a income from land you could buy tag thats been over ten yrs ago may have changed? Call pratt thats who told us about them

02-Mar-18
Tennat leasee land owner permit

02-Mar-18
It’s not a hunting lease. If you are running cattle, cash renting for crops, etc then yes. I think you misunderstood them and the wardens wouldn’t be hassling you because you would be breaking the law.

02-Mar-18
Matt i know what it is i bought the tag. The warden that checked us wanted us to show tax papers on what we made off the land. In December? It was a bullshit deal who has filed taxes in december of same year we had all the paper work pratt tolf us we needed and he jacked us around. Kansas made the law we followed it

02-Mar-18
Glad to know you are a law breaker

02-Mar-18
What the he## are you talking about tou no nothing about me or what we were doing on that land WE were breaking no laws we got no tickets were still hunting

02-Mar-18
Frank, you don't have to answer, it's your business, I'm just curious. The land is owned by your buddy's dad, he gets pasture rent for the ground. His son is first generation family to his dad, so he is included in being someone who profits from the land. How does that include you? Do you receive profit from your buddy's dad? How are you considered an investor? After I married into a big farming family, I've always wondered how people from out of state navigated the landowner/tenant waters, we don't plan on moving out of state, but you never know.

02-Mar-18
I have put in for a NR tag 3 times, once I had a preference point and I drew, the other two times I put in and drew a tag. Last year I had a few people I know not draw. I bought a point last year as i was hunting other states and I was told I should have no problem drawing this year with my one point. Shawn

02-Mar-18
I am curious also as to how you (liketobowhunt) got the "tenant lease" tag. I've never bought one but have read the regs on them a couple of times. Seemed clear that you have to either be; a direct relative, run cattle, or farm it directly to be eligible for those tags. Is that what you did (I'm unclear about that part of this thread), or have I read the regs wrong, or did Pratt send you the wrong info and tag 10yrs ago. I don't really care, just curious as to the way the regs read and how that situation worked out. I own some land and have always just bought tags at the reduced price via landowner/tenant. I've never been asked anything other than what county the land is in and how many acres.

02-Mar-18
When we got the tags we were working that ranch building fence clearing trees ect we worked up there back and forth for a couple yrs

02-Mar-18
Frank, Working and operation of an agreement lease are two different things and that is why guys are hammering you. Example you lease a piece of property to deer hunt but then come up and work on fence or help the farmer that doesn't count. Example #2 you lease 80 acres and own 20 head of cattle that pasture on it, fix fence, Wells what have you then you would qualify. There have been a lot of shady people both resident and non resident try and get Tennant tags. For example a guy who leases ground and may plant 20 acres of food plots doesn't qualify. I'm sure if they asked for tax records they were concerned. Glad everything worked out.

02-Mar-18
We did what the person at platt told us the way it was explained was you had to recieve or invest. We told her what we were doing she was the one that told us we qalified. We were not trying to skate the law at all OK! We have never applied since that year i dont give a shit about killing a deer bad enough to break the law to do it. You guys on here are allful quick to hammer a guy without knowing the truth about somthing

02-Mar-18
Frank, our state is being hammered by NR that just want to bend the regs so much so they can get in on all the "books" behind every tree we are a little jumpy about NR talking about how easy it is. So many lobbists in our state house going around our commissioners all in the sake of selling our animals for their profits at the expense of residents. Remember the animals belong to the residents of the state.

02-Mar-18
We started going to ks in the late 70s to bird hunt not very much trafic back then. My buddys dad bought this property in the eightys it set there for yrs we built a small house or SHACK. We knew we couldnt deer hunt it so when they opened up non res tags we bought one we have never poached WHIch is more than i can say about locals. I promase youre bigest problem is in state poaching if you guys wont admit it youre blind or full of shit i saw it myself for 20yrs. Say it aint trure youre full of it. I stayed with land owners who poached all year long to feed there familys in 70s and 80s. You guys are allful one sided

02-Mar-18
Also don't blame the NR's for talking and thinking there are book bucks behind every tree. Just look in any deer hunting magazine and or hunting show and there are tons of so called celebs or residents telling everyone just that. I agree the quality would be better if they reduced tags in general and I would be happy drawing every other year. 3 years would be rough t have to wait! Shawn

02-Mar-18

liktobowhnt's Link
Come on lets here it!!! Im sure you guys got somethin to say. Most the old guys no i speaken the truth

02-Mar-18
We had poaching prior to 1995 and seemed to get along just fine. So I won't say it's our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is a building with a green dome on it in Topeka.

02-Mar-18
I know you know what im talkin about clip i never thought bad about it because alot of the people im talkin about lived real rual and were pretty poor. There are still a lot of them out there. Im not a trophy hunter i hunt becauase thats what we have always done for fun

02-Mar-18
Quick crunch of the numbers shows 21,821 NR tags bringing in somewhere in the neighborhood of $11.7 million. All the resident permits and deer related hunting license sales barely scratch half that from the numbers I can come up with. Considering those figures and the dollars to landowners I can’t really blame the state for doing what they’ve done. The joke really is on the average Joe NR hunter though. Their money has paid for one of the better private land leasing for public access programs in the country, which has opened close to 1,000,000 acres to hunters. Far more than any of us have lost to deep pocketed NR’s that leased or bought our old stomping ground. Meanwhile they’re only allowed two units. We’re allowed then entire state and both species on the proper tag. Further, they could purchase two tags for the price of one in many nearby states and have statewide access with far more public ground than here. You might have to adjust your trophy potential by a few inches, but quality experiences are out there in other states. Like many have said, the tv shows aren’t showing us that. They’re on primo KS leases with Booners behind each tree. And the state allows the non residents to believe it by not publishing harvest stats, herd trends, age structure, etc. So they keep paying... I’m all for a better resident hunting experience. But we’ll have to pony up more to deserve it at this point.

02-Mar-18
THANK YOU

03-Mar-18
The KS residents never seem to complain about the NR dollars paying to fund those WIHA's they like to hunt. Without NR dollars say good bye to the WIHA program.

03-Mar-18
We have had WIHA before the surgery I non resident hunting. With the increase of NR tags we also were witness to lower quality WIHA tracts of land. Nr hunting has also driven up the cost and chances of aquiring new WIHA. Quinn I wish we were like Colorado with vast chunks of free federal land but we are 99% privately owned in Kansas. It is really hard to compare Kansas to any other state with our high NR Hunting population and lack of true public hunting land tracts. For instance a hunter may plan his entire hunt on a certain area based on last year's hunting maps only to find out all that land has been withdrawn from the program come September when the maps are released. With the exception of fires I know I can go to my same spot on Public grounds in Colorado year in and year out and hunt Elk. You guys have such a wonderful resource for now. I plan on enjoying it and killing elk there until I am to old or they sell it off.

03-Mar-18
I thought both the WIHA program and non resident invasion began in ‘95? Either way, both you and I Matt, have had some awesome hunts on Walk In’s. Sure, NR lease dollars have stolen or kept some potential tracts out of WIHA, but without them we likely wouldn’t have the amount we do. It will be interesting to see what the next 20 years brings. Kansas will always have big bucks. Large tracts of private and our season structure will ensure that. Hopefully the latter remains the same. But I have to imagine we’ve seen the peak of the NR influx, or are at least very close to it. Once the baby boomer generation retires from the game I’m not sure my generation is going to keep sending 20,000+ guys or leasing near the acreage. The “DIY/Public Land” experience seems to be far more interesting to the young guys. Maybe that’s just because we’re broke for now! Time will tell... But if the state sees the writing on the wall, like I said, I really can’t blame them for now. Still plenty of greats hunts in this state. A guy just has to work a little harder than 20 years ago to find it.

Matt I’d be in favor of your muley stamp and reduction of unit size ideas. I also think a WIHA “pass” to raise some extra funds for the program would do some good as well. And I’d pay double what we do for buck tags if it meant a better resident hunting experience. Those are the kinds of things it will take to begin to justify NR going to an every other year type of program.

03-Mar-18
Quinn that statement is not very intelligent. So you are saying that if we stop all non resident hunting and do away with the WIHA program, the KS residents are going to miss WIHA? Well that would be prior 1995 wouldn't it?

03-Mar-18
Great points KB. The major influx of NR was not until later. We pay for a trout stamp why not a WIHA stamp? Great idea, hard to police but honest folks will pitch in. Guys trying to skirt the system will always try to find a way.

03-Mar-18
Wildlife and Parks pays 1/4 of WIHA, the other 3/4 comes from PR taxes on equipment, which is based on the number of license buyers. We’re way heavy towards residents for that. We had WIHA before the huge increase in non-resident deer hunters. Much harder to find private land to hunt ham back in 1995...because of non-resident “complications.”

04-Mar-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
Showing up even a few times a year to mend fence or herd cattle in order to keep a hunting spot does not qualify as a "tenant".

04-Mar-18

04-Mar-18

04-Mar-18
You must have not had anything to do last night. Ill be glad when the grass starts growing

04-Mar-18
Sorry to say, but KS isn’t going to issue less tags, Hell there is a bill moving through Congress right now to guarantee a NR a tag. It’s a huge revenue stream for the state and landowners, KS continues to raise the tag price for NR and that will retire several NR. Most of the people that are against NR have had there old ground taken from them or have had bad experiences with NR, but the fact of the matter is it’s capitalism, if you want to keep your ground you have to pay more than the next guy. It sucks but it’s reality. It’s not the NR few that have hurt KS, it’s the outfitters period.

04-Mar-18
I’ve been saying for yrs, If KS really wants to manage there deer herd then they need to allow regular bows, and muzzleloaders only. Xguns and rifles only for youth, elderly, and disabled.

04-Mar-18
“Frank, our state is being hammered by NR that just want to bend the regs so much.....”

Hey don’t forget that all us NR are the ones that litter up the state too.

04-Mar-18
I thought about the year and it was 2001,2002 when we got the tag all we did is what the person in platt told us. Im not sure if regs were the same or not they seem to change every yr. We were not trying to bend rules or cheat. Thats the reason we never bought another tag

04-Mar-18
“Frank, our state is being hammered by NR that just want to bend the regs so much.....” Hey don’t forget that all us NR are the ones that litter up the state too.

And the Forum. I actually like Frank though. You Bonner, well, seem a little "sketchy".

04-Mar-18
Yes, liketobowhnt, this night shift orientation has got me up late. Nothing to do when all the patients are gone. I'll be working days starting soon

04-Mar-18
Ha, that’s funny. I’ve never been called that. I just think it’s funny that the NR seem to get blamed for most things.

The land I hunt in Kansas costs me $0.00, we have family friends. The guys who hunt around us on all 4 sides pay anywhere from $3,000 to $4,000 to hunt for a week. I’ve heard a few of them say they feel the pressure to kill one for the money spent and have ended up killing a buck that should’ve walked. Our group has had a great time in Kansas and have never metso many kind folk from one area. We’ve even been offered other places to Hunt as well. Maybe it’s because we are sketchy folks

04-Mar-18
You know clip there aint a buck any where worth breaking the law to kill. Thanks

04-Mar-18
^^ Ain’t that the truth

04-Mar-18
Nope. To be honest, I don't care if I ever shoot another one. I will just watch the sunset, listen to a crowing rooster, and think of days gone by. I hunted Kansas in the glory days, and feel sorry for those who never got that chance, because it was pretty awesome. No ugly purple paint, no leasing, no pressure, no scoring system.

04-Mar-18
I would trade it all for the bird hunting in the 70s and 80s i never had so much fun we had the bigest quail and phesant fry on the day ou played nebraska every year. Oh well things change. Ps my rooster is to mean to enjoy. But i kinda like that

04-Mar-18
Heck that's funny. I guess if he wasn't mean you could enjoy your rooster all the time. Good luck go hunt have fun.

05-Mar-18
This thread got crazy! I just wanted to know if more NRs applied in 2017 compared to 2015 and 2016. I like to read everyone's opinion

06-Mar-18
I dug up the actual numbers, since I was spouting off some cell phone math earlier in here, for those that care.

Total 2017 KS License, Tag, Permit, Stamp sales - $18.99m Residents - $6.53m NR - $12.46m

Pittman Robertson Wildlife Restoration dollars - $14.33m

Total Licenses, Permits, Tags, Stamps - 517,519, Res - 356,878, NR - 160,641, Actual Hunting license holders - 245,779

A big part of PR dollars are based simply on land area. And total license holders, as Writer eluded to. But I think it’s fair to say NR account for close to half of the hunting dollars coming into the department. Where those funds wind up is above my pay grade. Residents might be responsible for more PR dollars, but that extra $6m in license sales has to wind up somewhere.

Not sure what it all means. But now we know! :)

One thing that sticks out is how much Nebraska has missed the NR boat. Their’s are less than half of both KS and SD sales. And get less PR funds. Coupled with a less than favorable management program as it relates to resident bowhunters, I think it’s fair to say we could have it much worse.

21-Mar-18

22-Mar-18
I've hunted KS every year for the last 6 I believe. I've also seen an increase in pressure on the public land we hunt in that short time. I would love it if a NR could only hunt every 2-3 years. I would much rather hunt less pressured land every couple years. I also agree with requiring a "stamp" or something to hunt WIHA's. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoy the time I've spent and connections we've made in KS over the years.

22-Mar-18
You would love it if you could only hunt ever 2-3 years but you hunt every year?

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

22-Mar-18
Kansas could take a page from Iowa's NR deer hunting regulations. It may help to some degree but just looking at the numbers above your KDWPT likes the revenue. I myself cannot wait to return this year, l have made some great friends and I love the country I hunt there as well. Got a new Golden pup that will be about 11 months old when i head out and although only 3 months old he shows great promise!! Shawn

22-Mar-18
Kansas doesn't need to take a page from Iowa, instead, Kansas needs to take a page from its past. This isn't Iowa and should not be managed as such. We had the best management program in the U.S. at one time, much better than Iowa.

22-Mar-18
Cherney, that is actually about to be the case, though I won't pretend my sole reason is to relieve pressure for others. Besides I doubt if I started doing that, anyone would follow suit. I bet I couldn't even get my small group to do that voluntarily. Maybe I worded that wrong and should have said it wouldn't bother me if that were to happen. With that being said, though I have hunted KS for the last 6 years and have added to the hunter pressure, the 2 does and 1 buck I've killed in that span isn't hurting the population by any means.

I know many take it for granted but I cherish the time I get to hunt in KS and enjoy every minute of it.

23-Mar-18
Clipper, I couldn't agree more! When people ask what KS could do to get their mature buck population back I instantly think... just go back to the way it was with the draw, sending teeth in, keeping good records, etc.

23-Mar-18
Go back 23 years.

23-Mar-18
Clipper, Im playing devil's advocate here... What is the minimum days required for someone to gain residency in KS? Home prices are cheap. I seriously doubt the #s would be high but couldn't someone have a 2nd home in KS, KS plates, KS DL, etc but actually live in another state? The reason that I ask this is, I know a guy who does that up north bc he refuses to call New Jersey home. Just a thought

23-Mar-18
A 2nd home is not residency.

23-Mar-18
Description of Resident: Any resident of Kansas not qualified as a landowner/tenant. Any person who has maintained the person's place of permanent abode in this state for a period of 60 days immediately preceding the person's application for any license, permit, stamp or other issue of the department. Domiciliary intent is required to establish that a person is maintaining the person's place of permanent abode in this state. Mere ownership of property is not sufficient to establish domiciliary intent. Evidence of domiciliary intent includes, without limitation, the location where the person votes, pays personal income taxes or obtains a driver's license.

23-Mar-18
That is why i will move to Iowa and still hunt Kansas every year as well. Say what you want, Kansas may of had the best system but obviously not now, not according to most guys from Kansas. So lets just say Iowa has a better system now without a doubt than Kansas has right now. Shawn

23-Mar-18
Well if I was going to move it would not be Iowa. North Dakota or Montana. Maybe western Nebraska or South Dakota. Iowa doesn't have enough pheasants and the fishing isn't as good. Shawn you always seem to know more about Kansas than us residents.

23-Mar-18
Iowa also has more cover than most of Kansas. I work with a traveling ER doctor who owns 40 acres of cedar thicket in Iowa. He has shown me pictures of Boone and Crockett bucks on his place for the last three years. He finally got one in 2017 that scored in the 180"s.

23-Mar-18
Ks is trying to get more NR not less, it’s not going to be what it was.

23-Mar-18
Yep, I don't think all the commercials and magazine ads are directed at residents!

23-Mar-18
Not at all but you KC seem to know it all. I want to hunt big whitetails and I will be able to get 2 if not 3 tags in Iowa, pus draw Kansas every year and hunt pheasants there as well plus have easy access to Nebraska and South Dakota for deer and pheasant. I am really not interested in hunting a lot of big game animals other then whitetail. Montana or Wyoming are great places but do not have the huge bucks Iowa and some other states have. Shawn

23-Mar-18
I know a lot about Kansas, and nothing really about NY. Except I would not live there.

24-Mar-18
That is because you know nothing about NY. It has some fine people and beautiful country as well. Problem is when people think of NY they think of big cities. Our issue is our dec does a terrible job of managing its deer herd. Gun season during the rut and very liberal limits on taking deer. Shawn

24-Mar-18
Didn't I just say that?

• Sitka Gear