New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
huntabsarokee 01-Mar-18
HDE 02-Mar-18
huntabsarokee 02-Mar-18
raceguy 02-Mar-18
HDE 02-Mar-18
01-Mar-18
Has anybody hunted unit 2 in NM for elk? If so is it worth it in 1 of the earlier seasons? I know it is more of a deer unit but a few outfitters have it sounding like it is decent for elk. Gives me the impression it may be similar to CO OTC. Ok not real good but better than sitting at home. Not looking for a great unit just something for 3rd choice that has better odds than 15%. Would go either 2nd archery or possibly muzzy so my dad can hunt too. He doesn't bow hunt. PM ok with me.

02-Mar-18
Do muzzy as a 3rd choice and put him in separate for the same (unit 2 muzzy) hunt. Use your 1st and 2nd choices for things like Gila, Valle Vidal, Valles Caldera, etc.

02-Mar-18
Will only apply as a group since it is too far away from PA for just my dad to go. Thinking 1st choice to be something like 34, 2nd choice 51 or 52, and 3rd choice 2. Just didn't want to get to 2 and find out all elk on private in Sept or Oct.

02-Mar-18
I've not hunted unit 2 but I've heard you can find pockets of them on BLM, it's not a high demand unit though for a reason. Keep in mind that a lot of the unit is Jicarilla Reservation who charge $7k a tag plus you have to hire a guide, so that alone tells you where a lot of the elk are. There is some checkerboard reservation/blm also and they are pretty protective of it so if you draw, make sure you know where you are at.

Hopefully you can get some more info from someone here.

02-Mar-18
Didn't realize that. You'll be just fine putting in for unit 2 muzzy as a 3rd choice.

Unit 2 has a large footprint, most the elk these days seem to be more on the southern end of the forest (Carson Jicarilla Ranger District) and BLM. You don't have to worry about all the elk being on private in early Oct.

• Sitka Gear