Blazer 20-Apr-18
Barrera 20-Apr-18
Blazer 21-Apr-18
splitlimb13 21-Apr-18
Ned 21-Apr-18
Blazer 21-Apr-18
trophyhill 22-Apr-18
05-Mar-18
Seems like the first archery draw odds are better than the rest of the 16's.My question is are you hunting bulls that are quiet and looking for cows?Or are they already getting cowed up or is that later in the hunt.Also how is the deadfall in there.Thanks

05-Mar-18
They were cowed up since the last week of August last year. . Deadfall is horrible ,most trails on the map don't exist anymore after the burn n floods.Keep shouting that out n the odds won't be for long.

05-Mar-18
The reason the odds are better is because that hunt can be one hot SOB and it's a super tough hunt because of the terrain and if they are not bugling you start covering many miles to find them plus you really need to have a good meat extraction plan or you can be sure of loosing most of the meat if you get lucky.

I had to pack in my water last year and it wasn't enough, it was so hot and I was consuming more then I had planned to, so towards the end of my hunt I was really rationing and ended up pulling some water from a hot little mosquito infested pool......MMMMM. To add insult to injury I came back to my camp one evening to find some dude in my tent and he had drank my rationed water (long story) anyway I needed that water more then that POS.

I hunted 12 days and didn't get an elk!

05-Mar-18
Wow, how did you handle that situation??? Isn't that the unit Newberg and Jacobson hunted and ate tag soup too?

05-Mar-18
Can you tell us the long story mrelite?

05-Mar-18
I too would like to here the long version of that story.Talked a few guys into putting in here at work .If any of us get lucky we will have backup.

06-Mar-18
Ohio, Newberg was in 16E. I would also like to hear the long story.

06-Mar-18
Finding someone in my tent would be freaky. And I've heard the story. One reason to pack iron......

06-Mar-18
I hunted the first hunt in 2012. Tough hunt. I did get into elk early though. Since then I've refined and learned a few calling techniques and would love to draw it again. As JP said, water is at a premium. So make sure you have plenty of water both to pack in and at the truck.

07-Mar-18
Water is at a premium..... unless of course it starts raining and keeps raining which happens often in the unit especially in Sept. Got stranded 10 miles back for few days, the monsoons are no joke. Small trickle stream next to our camp became a small river overnight.

17-Mar-18
Don't shy away from 16b. Odds are good for both archery hunts. Know a guy who hunts it and he just hikes in some water a week or 2 before his hunt and stashes it. He's harvested often just a mile or 2 in.

17-Mar-18

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
splitlimb13's embedded Photo

19-Mar-18
Hit and miss with the water, hunted one year there no problem, rained all the time. Following year it was the drought of the century. Drank water out of a small collection area in some rocks, using a filter of course.

19-Mar-18
can anyone suggest where to take meat for freezing or butchering here, haven't hunted this unit for quite some time ( in the event we draw of course)

20-Mar-18
You can hang meat in a cooler in Winston and I believe you can do the same in Reserve, I don't know any butchers in the area.

I will try to do a write up of the camp intruder when I get a chance.

22-Mar-18
Draws are in for 16b this yr. Odds are to good in 16b. Know about 12 different buddy apps in for 16b so we'll more than likely be in there. Can't wait. Good luck to everyone.

22-Mar-18
I've never equated single digit nr odds to "good odds".

22-Mar-18
^^^ I'm with you Bob

22-Mar-18
I wonder if people who spill out draw odds on a public forum realize it's not just the 6 of us seeing it?? If odds are good for certain hunts WHY DONT WE NOT LET THE WORLD WIDE WEB KNOW?? So they can stay that way!!! Just a thought..

22-Mar-18
Good I hit the right nerve in record timing. I wander what people expect out of sarcasm? Just a thought.

22-Mar-18
You WONDER? Oh sorry wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I have no idea who you are? Or why you would want to strike my nerve? Or even why you think it's in record timing? Haha. .. I've noticed you trolling, my above post was intended to be broad. If people find hunts that are still out there that are fairly easy to draw(which there are) GREAT ! Why not keep them that way by not shouting from the internet Mountain tops for all to hear? They're obviously a reason they are . Sounds like you know nothing about this unit first hand. Kudos to "THE GUY YOU KNOW " though... Hahaha what a joke.

22-Mar-18
16B along with unit 34 and 36 have the best odds of the top New Mexico units. Blazer, to answer your question, you have to be willing to hunt over water to kill a bull (in all 3 units). And don't expect a 380" bull. It is uncommon to kill more than a 340" bull in units 34, 36 and 16B. That's why the odds for drawing are so high-water and not many 340"+ bulls. Don't let these other guys tell you different. They are just keeping three great unit to themselves. If I were going to rank them based on odds, I would say: Unit 34, 16B and then Unit 36. That's how I recommend you apply.

22-Mar-18
Yes listen to Bow, the odds are great in 34 . That's why it's the third hardest first season archery tag to draw in the state. 36 not far behind. Also in 16b let me know exactly where the elk are drinking from if you can ,they only have hundreds of miles of running water .

23-Mar-18
There are a lot of elk, and there are big one's in 16b. IMHO 16b has better odds because it's mostly wilderness.

A big unit with no roads, no campers and no ATV's allowed. You have just eliminated hunters who prefer to do it that way, hence better odds. It's not because there are small bulls.

23-Mar-18
The only easy draw units are the ones you reach in your wallet and draw out enough green to purchase a LO tag.

23-Mar-18
Raceguy , if they are any better that's exactly why. It's hard to hunt even with half a dozen horses and 3 mules. I see entire bulls wasted every year! Guys on foot 13 miles back.l! I mean, get real! For the record priley , I believe you are correct! Haha that's awesome.

23-Mar-18
Yep, that's why I no longer put in for 16b. I've developed a bum knee but mostly hunt solo on foot. There's no way I could haul 300 pounds of meat out if I get far in without something spoiling.

If it wasn't for my knee, 16b would be on my app every year.

23-Mar-18
Sounds like he is a 16c or 16D guy.....

24-Mar-18
Thanks Raceguy! My odds are better because of you :)

24-Mar-18
Can you extend the courtesy and not put in for 16c? Pretty please?

24-Mar-18
Or A or D haha

24-Mar-18
So hundresds of miles of running water but we have to pack water in??

24-Mar-18
Lol blazer....

24-Mar-18
The Gila River runs through the middle of 16b. I don't know if you want to drink it but I do know you will want a drink of water before you get to it.

24-Mar-18
Raceguy I don't put in for 16b anymore either but 16d is another storie.

So is the power ball.

25-Mar-18
Lol Priley, good luck! Someone has to win, right?

25-Mar-18
No worries Greg. 37 and 34 are my other choices lol

26-Mar-18
Go hammer them Dave! Good luck!

26-Mar-18
Dang it! I put in for all 16b 2nd hunt b/c of this thread... and now you're telling me I shoulda put all in for 34 or 36... GREAT!

26-Mar-18
^^^haha

26-Mar-18
I like all those units Ohio. 37 is a tough draw but there are some monsters in there. If I don't draw 16b, I may as well plan on CO cuz 34,36&37 are highly sought after too......

26-Mar-18
You too Greg!

26-Mar-18
Dave, what unit did you shoot your deer in?? That deer looks familiar.

26-Mar-18
you poor guys that drew the Valle Vadal

sucks having to settle for 16b , 34, 36 or 37

27-Mar-18
Lol Priley

28-Mar-18
Priley ,that was sarcasm right? Haha ,lol, lmao!

29-Mar-18
Yep, after hunting the Valle its all downhill from there...

You should try it sometime! Hahaha

30-Mar-18
53 is as close as I've got to 55. Hunted the edge for a day or two.

30-Mar-18
I've been close also. Greenie Peak comes to mind. Anyway I got a peak at it over the fence.

Haha , looks like a rookie unit...

31-Mar-18
Funny Priley. I killed a cow on top of Greenie. 100 yards from the road that goes over the top.

31-Mar-18
Yeah that Valle hunt is terrible. Hope I can see how terrible 16b or 34 will be too. I dont think anything will compare to VV...but I'm eager to give it a try.

01-Apr-18
Stay out of 16c Throphyhill, I don't want you killing all the elk. You machine!! lol

01-Apr-18
Trophyhill You forgot April Fools....

02-Apr-18
Lol

03-Apr-18
Good odds is relative - they just need to be good enough. My buddy did his first ever big game hunt for elk in Valle Vidal, and he's a non-resident. Draw odds were good enough for him (295" 6x6 at 100 yrds farther than his home range is long). An example of why VV is an OIL hunt is that I saw more bulls in three days in the VV than I've seen in more than 10 years hunting elk (and deer) in 6a/b, 9, 13, and 16a/b (not that I'm a great hunter). I say almost because the Valles Caldera hunt several years ago was kinda the same: Hoot loads of bulls. I honestly recommend to my NR friends to only apply for fabulous hunts like VV or VC because a unit 14 elk hunt isn't really worth the NR effort/costs.

I don't have any unit-wide land-owner authorizations for VV or VC, but I do have excess preference points I can sell you . . .

03-Apr-18
Unit 14 elk hunt? I just don't see the quality in the VV to justify all fuss. Beautiful country that's for sure.

03-Apr-18
I've seen the quality... on the hoof.

03-Apr-18
I hear you Ohio. Personally I've never hunted it. Elk numbers are good for sure. The guys I know that have hunted it took some decent bulls. A guide there told me if a guy has a shot at a 320 bull he better take it. His client passed on a 330 type bull and said it was a huge mistake. I've seen the occasional slob put down , but this guy says 330 is a definite shooter there . Is this true?

03-Apr-18
A 330" is a shooter in my book always, but my book isn't on everyone's shelf. You are correct it wouldn't be wise to pass on a solid bull as described simply b/c the VV isn't the biggest unit in NM and those big boys know where to go when the pressure is on.... hint hint.. another "V" word. I undoubtedly saw one slob and a few other solid bulls (bits and pieces), one of those solid bulls was a toad but looked to have been a 5x6. Had he been 6x6 he would easily eclipse 330", as he stood he was probably every bit of 330. He had a huge harem in the wide open, far from my (and most) capabilities w/ a bow.

My hunt's harvest report is posted (2016), you can see it wasn't the best of years for archery in the VV.. esp in regard to the satisfaction rating. After talking to the 1st hunters my excitement was slightly fizzled, but as for being over hyped... eh.. depends on the year and of course the person. My year was a so so one and it was still a good hunt, I can only imagine what its like on a good year.

03-Apr-18
"A 330" is a shooter in my book always, but my book isn't on everyone's shelf."

Couldn't have said it better. Most don't realize how big 330" is. From what I hear that's a " top end " bull up there. There are units where 330" is more than doable that aren't OIL is all I was saying. Still a beautiful place to hunt elk.

03-Apr-18
I passed up a 330 bull in VV on opening day, 1st hour of the hunt. Well, ok, he passed by me and wouldn't stop.

The problem I had with VV is that it ended too quickly ;^)

03-Apr-18
Hahaha hate it when that happens HDE ! We did see several bulls at the 330" mark last year , actually did pass 2. My dad wanted to choke me!! Haha

03-Apr-18
How cold did it get during your hunt HDE? The lowest temp I saw was 19*

03-Apr-18
Mid 30's. Stormed the night before opening day and was kind of windy the entire weekend.

04-Apr-18
Three more weeks....three more weeks....three more weeks...

04-Apr-18
I'd wager we find out by the end of next week

05-Apr-18
I'll go with split on this one for end of next wk. All Green...

05-Apr-18
The results usually surface on a Wed, so the 11th. After last year being so early, there is really no excuse to not get it done and posted quickly.

20-Apr-18
We ended up drawing the second hunt on 3 rd choice time to start scouting .

20-Apr-18
Blazer, Congrats on a awesome tag. Good luck in there and have fun.

21-Apr-18
Thanks,Barrera hopefully we can get into them

21-Apr-18
^^^ nice save. Farquaad is better then minimi for future reference. ;)

21-Apr-18
I still miss the good ole days when unit 34 was a sleeper unit and listed as unlimited. I would put 2 Gila units and 34 as my third choice. Killed 4 good bulls out of 34 , 4 years in a row. Now as a non res it’s a pipe dream just to draw a tag boo hoo.

21-Apr-18
Jinxed him that's about 12 years of bad karma. http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/21/verne-troyer-dead-at-49/ :-)

22-Apr-18
I hope you're going to "unjinx" him before that 12 weeks is up. All he needs is his bow to break or something ;)

• Sitka Gear