huntskifishcook 06-Mar-18
xi 07-Mar-18
PublicLandHunter 07-Mar-18
Will 08-Mar-18
PublicLandHunter 08-Mar-18
captain 08-Mar-18
Tajue17 14-Mar-18
05-Mar-18
Wondering what others set for their hunting goals?

Not necessarily limited to the upcoming year. I have several. Killing a mature buck while tracking on snow. Taking any deer with my self bow, a true primitive arrow and stone head. Taking a deer or bear on an extended back pack hunt in one of the ADK wilderness areas. Elk hunting horse pack trip.

Regarding the ADK I recently learned that the five ponds wilderness contains 40,000 acres of contiguous virgin forest, never logged. An extended backpacking trip there is on my near term list of things to do even if it is not a hunting trip.

Tekoa

05-Mar-18
Mine is much more basic, but here goes.

Do some real productive scouting. I am reading a bow hunting book that has provided some great insight. Tapping the knowledge base here has been huge. In one month I have already identified six legit spots with amounts of sign I have never seen before. I have also incorporated a couple of cameras into the scouting plan. The lack of sightings on "film" has taught me more than the actual pics of deer. Now that I have learned where to focus, travel between food and bedding (and just bedding), I am getting pics of deer. Very cool.

Get the saddle hunting setup wired. I am almost there. Have the saddle setup, climbing set up and some of the ancillary items. I have been practicing climbing and hanging. I have even setup for some shooting sessions. This is going to be a game changer. I can hike in further and hunt almost anywhere. I had the all of my saddle and climbing gear in my pack yesterday while scouting. Almost three hours of walking through the wettest thickest crap. Never felt the load and it never got caught up on anything. Game changer.

Bow refinements. I made some great strides here. Broadheads fly the same as field points, so I plan to get away from mechanicals. I am also toying with getting a thumb release and learn how to use back tension to fire the bow. I'm on the fence with this for now. Also, train by shooting at a minimum of 40 yards all the time. And practice awkward positions while hanging.

05-Mar-18
I'm simplifying this year I think. I'll say my targets are similar to other years. The biggest one being that I can enjoy time in the outdoors, slowing down mentally, processing life and ideas I work to learn and grow. A tie would be that I get to share a bit more with my kids this year both fishing and hunting. I'm hoping this will be their first turkey hunting spring, and I'm pumped about it.

My next targets for hunting are odd. Buy less stuff - I dont need it! Expand areas that I hunt - keep growing my "repertoire" of locations.

I hope to have some good turkey hunts this spring. It would be nice to bring a bird home, or two... but mostly, I just want to see the sun come up, hear the woods wake up.

I want to shoot a deer in CT. I blew it this past year and missed a nice buck and saw a lot of deer but was always a smidge off. I feel like I'm "there" now with several spots, and hope to connect.

Assuming that happens, then I am going to start my MA season with a 3.5+ YO estimate as my target for deer I shoot here. I'd define that as a mature doe (only in my higher density Z9 spots) or a buck I suspect is 3.5 + based on body size and rack.

To many other, but good things, happening in my life right now to be able to take a stab at a trip some place to hunt. But over the next 20 years, I'd love to go elk hunting at least once.

05-Mar-18
Get access to more spots (permission), so I’m not burning up the same couple spots.

05-Mar-18
bigger than the smallest of two years ago.hold out for a real good one on tag two

05-Mar-18
Like Peter, I'm trying to get real serious with my scouting. My goal is to scout at least as much as I hunt this year. So far I'm on track to crush that goal.

Kill my first buck and black bear this year.

Do more 3D shoots.

I'd like to get a new guy in to hunting every year. My good friend will be hunting his first season this year. I've got another buddy going to buy his first bow ever at Reedy's tomorrow. Hopefully we can get him in a stand in 2019. I'd also really like to get my buddy onto some deer this year. We scouted a great spot together yesterday and have a tree picked out where we will hang his first stand.

My last goal isn't necessarily related to my hunting, but I'd really like to help spread as much factual, science based info about hunting as possible. Not sure how to go about this just yet, but I am continually amazed about the nonsensical crap I hear and read about hunting/hunters.

05-Mar-18
Just got my recurve all set up with new limbs, string, silencers, quiver and arrows. Now just got to fine tune and practice for my first trad deer. Im also planning on hunting CT but also want my first bear. Hopefully I will hunt two spots hard instead of hopping all around.

05-Mar-18
I would like to kill an elk, a moose and a decent mule deer. Those are my bowhunting goals. In between I would like to hunt whitetail here at home and other states as well.

06-Mar-18

bigcountry's embedded Photo
bigcountry's embedded Photo
I have very simple expectations...Have fun every time I go out. If I am lucky, get some meat for the freezer and more specifically, introduce my grandson to hunting and fishing...He will be just over 2yrs old by the time hunting season comes up again....We did some fantastic ice fishing this year already....

06-Mar-18
My goal from here on is just to be able to go hunting and see if I can outsmart a critter well enough to get an ethical shot at it. I've never been hung up big antlers, long beards, or how old a deer or turkey is. Who knows, maybe I'll develop a soft spot this year and let more of them walk. Then again... maybe not.

:o)

06-Mar-18
Jimbo, i've got a funny feeling that won't be the case!! ;)

06-Mar-18
Pretty much your first sentence is my goal every year Jimbo. I kill very few deer now but pass on a lot. I constantly challenge myself each year to find new stand sites often even on the properties I have hunted for years. I get a thrill out of succeeding in that. I'll take a doe for meat each year but I hold for a buck that betters anything I've taken before. That's always my goal.

06-Mar-18
Awesome picture Bigcountry!

Tekoa, I started checking out the Adirondacks after you posted this. I guess I never realized what a vast chunk of wilderness it is. I think a new goal of mine in the next couple years is a bear hunt via canoe.

07-Mar-18
Right now my number one goal is to continue to hunt with my children as much as possible. It's been amazing the experiences I've had with them, the talks, the sights , the excitement, it's something words cant explain I guess. A future endeavour would be a trip of some sort with them no doubt.

07-Mar-18
Seems like we all have similar goals. I was fortunate enough to check four of them off of my list this year. First bow kill, first 10pt, first mount worthy buck, and first deer with my inline muzzleloader. Right now with being in the military, I'm lucky to have time and somewhere to hunt. I was able to go only once when I was in Cali over three years.

My current goal is to maximize my knowledge and skills so that when I do get to go out, my odds are better. This will come with lots of reading and practice. Georgia will be good hunting, but I will be working more hours.

My daughter is 6, and begging to go with me. I'm looking forward to teaching her, and eventually my son. Going to start with squirrels, and see where it goes.

Of course I'd like the usual elk, bear, boar, pronghorn, ect eventually. Not likely to happen before I retire, but you never know.

Once I retire, I do want to either own land to manage and hunt, or near land I can manage (example, my house in PA has 4000 acres of old mining property behind it that's owned by the state, but not managed, not a refuge, not game lands, it's just kind of no man's land). Getting to know an area for longer than 3 years and improving it for game would be awesome.

08-Mar-18
Public - Thanks for what you do. How many more years do you have?

08-Mar-18
Been in 17 years now, but have 4 years reserve time, so about 6 and a half left to rate an active duty retirement. It will be bitter sweet, but the full freedom and permanent place to live will be nice.

08-Mar-18
My goal is to be able to hunt another year in pa with good friends and to watch the new puppy grow to enjoy life for another year to stay healthy

14-Mar-18
to keep bowhunting

• Sitka Gear