Droptine10 15-Apr-18
chazz847 15-Apr-18
Shawn 15-Apr-18
stjohnh4 15-Apr-18
Arrowone 15-Apr-18
Jdawg 16-Apr-18
07-Mar-18

pogo's Link
Do you wear a safety harness while hunting from a tree stand? I hope so..... but not everybody does.

Here's the latest study from the DEC.

08-Mar-18
Where is STUDY !

08-Mar-18
Click on the green button that says "pogo's link". You old guys are something else. ??

08-Mar-18
I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid. Working in construction for 33 years, you learn how important safety and PPE are. Mad Dog

08-Mar-18
My safety harness is always on. I also use lifelines in all my stands, and use a line man's rope when installing stands. It's a no-brainer.

08-Mar-18
thanks , missed link on your statement, but link is not working, will have report from DEC

08-Mar-18
I always wear one no matter what. About 20 years ago I took a fall about 18 feet head first. I was moving a stand and went to seat it firmly in the tree and it let loose. There was a limb underneath it and it caught my pant leg and flipped me upside down as I went down. It was over in a second. Somehow I landed on my shoulder. Fortunately the ground was soft were I hit. It took me about 5 minutes to get my breath back and recover where I could sit up. I walked away without any serious injuries. God was with me for sure. Now I don't even think about climbing a tree without one.

09-Mar-18
Archer.... I just clicked on it and it worked. Anyone else having troubles with the link?

Woodsman...... I too fell while climbing a tree with a climber that was given to me and thank God I had a safety vest on. The bottom of the climber lost its grip and I dropped about four feet and was left dangling about 10 feet off the ground. I was able to get out of my harness, lower myself a little before dropping to the ground uninjured.

I love my HSS safety vest!

09-Mar-18
Jman22 x 2. Pogo and Woodsman I’m glad you’re both ok. Scary stuff. I had a tree step pull out one time. I didn’t fall the whole way, but I was in a tight spot for awhile. Lucky.

15-Apr-18
I always use use harness and choose the perfect tree! The tree needs to be straight, proper trunk diameter (18 - 24 inches), no protrusions from ground to anchor point. Next I never go higher than 15-18 feet. I have been amazed at how high some hunters go. There is no need to go any higher that 15 - 18 feet max.

15-Apr-18
stjohnh4, I have always liked 22' , I would get picked off much easier at lower nights.

15-Apr-18
2 Years ago I had a slip while putting up my tree stand and thank God that I had my harness on. After that I said at 69 years old I think I am done with tree stands. Been hunting from the ground ever since. I still have fun. Stay safe people.

15-Apr-18
I do what I have to do to kill deer. Sometimes that is 10ft with a lot of cover other times it is "Nose Bleed" height. I put a stand up this year that is 56 ft. from the ground to the base of the stand.(A friend named it "Nose Bleed" It took 70 ft. of safety line once the stand was set. I needed to be able to shoot a power-line and a ground blind was not an option and there was only one tree that would work. As long as you are hooked up from ground to stand and while in stand you will be fine! Shawn

15-Apr-18
Wow. 56 ft.! I could get up there but I would probably be too spooked to clime back down. Its amazing how much higher it feels when you are up in the stand verses looking up from the ground :-)

15-Apr-18
Wow 56 ft??? Steep angled shots or does the ground rise where you’re shooting to?

16-Apr-18
First of all.....56’ to the base of the stand? Hell, even if I could get myself to climb that high, if the deer were at the base of the stand he’d be almost out of range for me with a recurve. I read all the available descriptions of each accident. Some are obvious but overall they lack the critical details to really learn much from. For example....a fatality where a hunter fell out of stand or stand collapsed and a harness was used? There a few of these and you can’t tell if at the time of the accident was the harness attached to the tree? Was it attached? If it was attached to tree and the guy fell did he hang suspended due to of lack of oxygen? That raises the issue of suspension relief straps....no comments on the presence or absence in these cases.

It would appear to me that a good number of the accidents involve worn out or defective stands, straps or carelessness if securing the stand. No mention of lifelines which I feel are almost as important as harnesses.

I really don’t remove ladder stands and stick ladder stands each season but I do loosen the ratchet straps after season just a bit to allow the tree to grow without putting undue strain on the hardware. I remove lifelines and in early fall I replace old ratchets, etc Nd tighten. I always MAKE SURE my tree strap and tether are positioned so I can just sit and cannot fall beneath/lower than the stand. Pat mentioned that in that article or was quoted...important. I see instructional images showing people “practicing” hanging in their harnesses well below their stand platforms....why the hell would you tie in at that height?

Good topic in any event.

• Sitka Gear