Will 19-Mar-18
huntskifishcook 20-Mar-18
brooktrout59 20-Mar-18
Belchertown Bowman 20-Mar-18
huntskifishcook 20-Mar-18
Belchertown Bowman 21-Mar-18
BuckHungry 21-Mar-18
10-Mar-18
I have been dealing with a draw weight that is much lower than I'd like for almost a year now. My bow maxes out at 60# and had always been a true 60 until I got new strings put on last spring. When I went to pick it up from the shop I was amazed how light the draw felt. The guy seemed surprised and when he weighed the draw it was 48#. He fiddled with it and got it to around 53, if I remember correctly. But he was never able or willing to give me a good answer about how the poundage could have changed so drastically by just putting new strings on, so I've just dealt with it. My knowledge about the inner workings of bows and how to fix them is pretty limited, so just wondering if any of you guys might have an idea. For that drastic of a change to occur within a few days it seems like he must have done something incorrectly.

10-Mar-18
Funny you mention that- use Hoyt Havoc as my second bow , brought it to local shop to restring and real easy to shoot. Asked Gal who owns shop what poundage at and she says nearly 10 lbs less maxed out. Took it to Reedy's and guy there tightened it down to max strength. Bring it there and they will figure it out guaranteed!

10-Mar-18
Definitely no expert here, but wouldn’t it make sense if the string were a little too long, or if it stretched, this would throw things off?

10-Mar-18
Brooktrout, did they tell you what the issue was at Reedy's? And that is definitely where I'm going to get this figured out. The drive is so far that I've been checking out a few places closer to me and imo Reedy's is hands down better than the rest the few times I have been there.

Jeb, I was thinking strings being too long could be the issue as well, but that's total speculation on my part, I know next to nothing about this stuff. I'm not sure it could be stretching, because they were brand new never been shot strings.

10-Mar-18
HSFC, what town you in? Brian Visco in Littleton is really good. I'm sure he could help you out as well if it's closer.

11-Mar-18
Cables "pre-tension" the limbs. It is likely the cables are (way) too long.

11-Mar-18
YesHFC- gal had not tightened it down all the way although she said she did. Needed some serious torque down. Good luck!

11-Mar-18
All strings/cables may stretch if not pre-loaded while being made. May need a few twists installed. Go to Reedy's or Brian Visco to check out.

11-Mar-18
Ill second MA-Bowhunter's cable thought... But also Bruce's on Visco. If you are north of rt 9, roughly, he may be a lot closer.

11-Mar-18
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be going to one of the shops mentioned asap.

14-Mar-18
Most likely the cables are too long or the string is too short. That's the only way to see a drop in # like that. Also make sure both limbs bolts are bottomed out. Brian V or Reedy's will straighten it right out

14-Mar-18
Thanks, Shawn. I'm hoping to get it fixed up in the next couple weeks.

19-Mar-18
I shot down to Reedy's before work this morning to finally address my bow issues. I'll tell you what, those guys at Reedy's are the real deal. I brought my bow to 3 others shops prior to today, every other place was either unwilling to investigate in order to figure out the issue or had no idea how to fix the problem. They had my bow fixed up quickly and took the time to watch me shoot it a bunch to ensure everything was working properly. I had been there to shoot around on the 3d targets, but this was my first service experience there, even though its over an hour drive I'll never go anywhere else.

19-Mar-18
HFSC - awesome. Glad you had a great experience AND got fixed up!

20-Mar-18
Thanks, Will. Now I just need to get used to pulling 60# again. Feels like 100 after shooting around 50 the last year lol.

20-Mar-18
Glad it worked out-Reedy's is by far the best! Shoot straight!

20-Mar-18
So what was the issue, was the string too long?

20-Mar-18
Yeah, the string was too long, BB. I don't exactly how that works, because I would have thought you would have slack in the string if it were made too long. I'm going to make it a point to learn more about how my bow works.

21-Mar-18
Thanks,.,.. not a clue either,.. maybe it was like 1/8th or 1/4 of an inch to long,.. not noticeable except for the pull weight.

The more I learn about my Bow,.. the more I learn, there is more to learn !!!!!

Just my two cents,.. it is a fun study though,.. much better than white papers on firewalls! LOOLOLOL

21-Mar-18
Have to jump in on this. Went to Reedy's a month ago to ask for some help with my accuracy after a couple missed opportunities during the season. The shop where I bought my bow set up my draw length way too long. Chris the owner fixed my draw length and spent hours with me working on better form. Shooting much more accurately now. Been back to the shop 3 times to use the indoor range and outdoor 3d course.

• Sitka Gear