buckmaster69 25-Mar-18
Tweed 25-Mar-18
Drop Tine 25-Mar-18
buckmaster69 25-Mar-18
RUGER1022 25-Mar-18
Strapped 25-Mar-18
buckmaster69 26-Mar-18
12-Mar-18
Be the first in your DMU to charter a chapter!

Sponsor some recovering addicts!

Organize meetings where everyone can share their story with no shame.

And the most rewarding part: They call you up late at night for support when they get that urge to do some bolts!

Keep in mind there is no such thing as responsible use! One is too many …

12-Mar-18
The majority on here use or support crossbows for all during archery seasons, they just hide it well.

13-Mar-18
Water is fine, 80 proof!

13-Mar-18
Missouri-I knew I was in a minority for something!

14-Mar-18

DoorKnob's embedded Photo
DoorKnob's embedded Photo
Hey, check this out. The bow hunters over all have been progressively encroaching on the buck harvest since there was bow hunting. The horizontal bows are not even a blip on the radar, just another participant in the continuation of the long established trend. Does it really matter to anyone that some peeps have added or chosen the optional type or switched over altogether?

And the good news is … it's OK to have a beer now and again !!

...and probably you can stop worrying that Ole Fred will rise from the grave some full moon and smite you.

But do wear your sunscreen and don't drive drunk!!

14-Mar-18
Don't be fooled...if Fred was alive today he'd be producing and selling xbows. He was a businessman first and foremost.

14-Mar-18
That’s who I know Fred Bear as a businessman who brought mass marketing to archery and bow hunting. Had ad campaign “be a two season hunter”

Good for him!

15-Mar-18
Where is your graph that shows the true numbers of Archery success vs Gun success vs Crossbow success??? Those are the numbers that tell the whole truth. You can not lump Archers in with Crossbow, they are 2 different seasons that run concurrently.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.....

15-Mar-18
Crossbows have already destroyed the culture and spirit of the bowhunting seasons.

15-Mar-18
Fast Freddie - Crossbows are NOT archery equipment. You also need to purchase a crossbow license or a $3 upgrade to use the crutch, unless you purchase a CP license.

Also, to make this perfectly clear, I am NOT anti crossbow. IMO Crossbows do have a place in the woods. In the hands of those who are physically unable to draw and hold the legal minimum draw weight and those over the age of 65. The old law was working great. It allowed the use of crossbows by those who needed to use them. It protected the over harvest of bucks during the rut.

15-Mar-18

Fast Freddie,,,, I know a reliable source also, and he would disagree with you, in fact he works in the CWD area, and he would like to see more bucks shot, than does, he would like to see several bucks killed per season,,,,, not going to happen, but there is some thinking towards that goal, again in a heavy CWD area........

15-Mar-18
I can't believe I'm saying this. But I agree with FF's last post. Hell the one before that wasn't half bad either.

15-Mar-18
This was a cash grab big time . The overharvest of bucks will eventually stop . Cross Bowers will eventually grow tired or become bored of shooting every buck that they can . The Bean Field Hunt and long shots is laugh a real joke of a hunt . I would hope that a mans conscious would breaks through . The cross bow is what it is. The real issue is too much technology within the hunt . Currently There is no voice left to hold the line. Everyone is grabing the cash or setting up for their own BIG hunt on the 40 doing what they want , LOL wow that's fun . Our only hope is a reformation. The hunt with a bow especially the bow deer hunt needs a reformation to survive . The industry and legislators have turned it into a joke . When I say OUR Only Hope I'm not sure who that is . Long time bow shooters now cocking their bolts . Archery shops now filled with cross bows . Everyone sold out ,,,, a shamefull and disgusting display .

15-Mar-18
Well said Ted.

16-Mar-18
LTL, you said it well.

16-Mar-18
It is the former bowhunters, (many on this forum), who buy and support the use of crossbows during general archery seasons. Many, many closet users. Way too late for reformation of any kind.

A few of us have moved on, and joined Comptons for the real bowhunting challenge with a minority of like minded real bow hunters.

16-Mar-18
"One buck per weapon coming within 2 years from a reliable source..." LOL! I'd ask you to name the source but we all know there is not one. At least not a credible one.

16-Mar-18
One buck per weapon? So your saying I could kill three bucks a year if using a bow,X,and gun? What about a fourth one with ML?

16-Mar-18
4 mature bucks each year! Now were talkin'

Oh wait...I can't eat that many ...

16-Mar-18
I love my crossbow. Yet, if the season ever changed now that I have a taste how easy it is to shoot a deer during the rut I will just buy a compound. That's the big secret here. It's not hard shooting a deer with any weapon during the rut up in a tree if you know where they are.

=)

16-Mar-18
As long as it's loaded, drawn and at the ready, right dtyne? Put the crosshairs in and pull the trigger!!!

16-Mar-18
Mark my word, the air bow is next,,,,, I believe it will be in, for 2019..... The herd has been mismanaged since McCaffrey left the DNR, and we have no primitive seasons anymore, that dream is dead.................................

What is a real shame is that a lot of hunters, have lost respect for the deer, and the state at times, treats them like vermin.......... The outdoor writers are all cut from the same cloth, and no really nothing, compared to those who wrote years ago, all apologizers for the whining crowd.....................

16-Mar-18
A Full investigation is needed . Let's consider how much time and work it takes to break a deer down and butcher a deer in order to eat it . After multiple kills and the easy kills that the cross bow is made for what is happing to these deer ? if you are choosing a cross bow because it's easy are you likely going to take the time it takes to prepare your kill to eat ? Considering Its more difficult to find butcher shops that will even do this it's more likely these deer are ending up in the trash or left in the bush. Pulling the trigger is easy . The cross bow man spending 3 to 4 hours preparing a deer to eat , no way It dosent add up .

17-Mar-18
I can't tell, maybe Dtyne is being funny. But if serious, clearly Dtyne was a gun hunter only, like many other new crossbow hunters. If picking up a compound bow and shooting a trophy buck is just as easy as a crossbow like you describe, why did you wait until crossbow was legal to get into it in the first place??

17-Mar-18
Dtyne - It will all come down in April, so we will see who shows up. I do believe the NRB will act quickly on this, regardless of the outcome. The cross bow belongs in any season, that a gun may be used.......

I plan on using one this year for turkeys, as I thought it would be a lot of fun, on at least one, since I get multiple tags........ However, I do not think it should ever be in the archery season, period, for healthy individuals...... With that said, that battle is lost, so we move on....

I think now, the cross bow should be allowed from Sept 15 to Oct 15, and then again, from the gun season on, since it is not going away.

Wisconsin had it right with the lessor weapon rule, and only Ky has done a good job in regulating it.................... If the cross bow, stays, after this vote, they will start to complain about how hard that is, and ask for the air bow.... it will be a domino affect....

Wisconsin has a strong archery heritage, and anyone is welcome to join, it is special, since you have to use a bow, and that takes a commitment and effort.

As far as your reference to a compound being as easy as a cross bow, it shows to me a lack of experience. I for one shoot both the long bow and a compound. They each have different disciplines. Being good at either one, is far from easy. I do not mean being able to hit a paper plate, at 20 yards, I mean being really good. It takes practice...

The beauty of the compound bow, is that it allows, though who find a stick bow difficult, a chance to pull a bow back, and complete a shot. However you have to pull the bow back,,,,, and that is always not a given.... In a hunting situation, with wind and weather etc, your not always that steady, and can easily miss. To be good with one, takes some effort.....

The stick bow is a whole other animal, and I am fortunate, to be able to shoot one really well, but I did not learn that over night. It took some work and dedication, but I wanted to participate in the archery season, so I got at it........

I believe that most that came into this last season, via the cross bow, will never understand that, but what you should do, is go pick up a bow, and join the fun, and you would better understand the passion, true archers believe in

17-Mar-18
Dtyne just learned a time period when buck's are vulnerable?

17-Mar-18
I went into a local archery shop today to have my peep adjusted on my new PSE Evolve as I do not have a press for the pre stressed limb bows. There was an older gentleman at the counter BSing with the kid working. I pulled my bow out and the old guy goes well there's a rarity. I said what PSE. He laughed and said no someone shooting a real bow. I laughed and said that a real bow technically would be one without wheels. The guy behind the counter said not anymore. He said they sell more crossbows to perfectly healthy people 4 to 1 compared to compounds. He also said he couldn't remember a kid that they started on a crossbow that came back wanting a vertical bow.

They are also selling the crap out of the Ravins. He said everyone wants the crossbow that they can shoot 100 plus yards with. Even when they try to explain to people that's not a good idea to do at game. He said a lot of them say the manufacturer wouldn't advertise it if it wasn't meant to do it. Kinda shows the mentality of the crossbow crowd.

17-Mar-18
"Wisconsin had it right with the lessor weapon rule, and only Ky has done a good job in regulating it...................."

FYI: The Kentucky Game and Fish Dept., starting this March, is taking the initial steps to make crossbows full inclusion

17-Mar-18
Bowhunting is on a very steep decline, that should not surprise anyone.

17-Mar-18
To be fair, if they change the xbow season, they should also get rid of scopes for the young and healthy for the ML season while there at it

17-Mar-18
GH, I agree 100%. ML season is really just single shot rifle season.

18-Mar-18
I agree too!!

18-Mar-18
Take a child REAL bowhunting....make bowhunting great again!!!!

18-Mar-18
Greed is a beautiful thing. More gun hunters are taking away the advantage bow hunters had for years. I have a vertical, and shooting something dead at 20 yards is simple. Got a monster buck last year, and taking the other one this year.

Enjoy the new rules boys. I found this forum because of other crossbow forums pointing out how much hatred/bias is on this site.

DNR cares about the health of the heard, and money in-take to support our environment. Not a bunch of hunters who want first pickings. Tide has changed boys!!!!!! Take care all!!!!!

18-Mar-18
Dtyne- my hearing is healthy. Take care and enjoy the ease of your easy weapon. Watch that tide, would hate to see you get caught in a rip. HA!

18-Mar-18
I am getting an air bow for next year

18-Mar-18
Tide? I thought he was referring to the pods.

18-Mar-18
"..pointing out how much hatred/bias is on this site". And there you have it. You can't have a civil disagreement over an issue with out that being thrown in. PLEASE explain how this discussion equates "hatred"?

19-Mar-18
I figured something happened on the x-gun sites, it looks like someone left the child gate open and a few escaped!!

19-Mar-18
"I love my crossbow. Yet, if the season ever changed now that I have a taste how easy it is to shoot a deer during the rut I will just buy a compound."

"I have a vertical, and shooting something dead at 20 yards is simple. Got a monster buck last year, and taking the other one this year."

Dtyne, your first statement says you would have to buy a compound and implies that you are new to the "bow/crossbow" season. Your second statement says that you own a vertical bow and have shot "Monster" bucks with it. Something doesn't line up here and something tells me your apparent vertical bow is not a long bow or a recurve.

19-Mar-18
L2H, LOL!

19-Mar-18
L2H-perhaps some of the children have come back under different names. There was another that went under at least 2 different handles that was disagreeable to anyone that did not grab hold of and love shoulder fired, scope sighted weapons....

19-Mar-18
Well, someone needs to check that child gate and close it!!

19-Mar-18
Dtyne what a beauty. Contradicts himself, belittles the skill it takes to use even a compound, and then brags about all these monsters he slays.

20-Mar-18
Dtyne2 and FF never seem to post at the same time...

21-Mar-18
Another thread talks about the numbers of hunters are on a decline. If this trend continues our deer population in parts of the state may get seriously out of control. I suppose allowing different weapons to be used, longer seasons, generous bag limits, earn-a-buck, etc., maybe needed to help curb the population. I'm not saying I support all of the above, I'm just saying more changes maybe on the way.

21-Mar-18
Welcome back, Neverbait

21-Mar-18
F.F. show me a Vertical bow legal in WI that locks at full draw, with a trigger, and a scope?

21-Mar-18
Can a HB be fired canted 90 degrees? Just add a rest.

21-Mar-18
A$$= freddie.. go back to cross gun nation

21-Mar-18
U spell like TRUMP

21-Mar-18
No not really....... I don't want to catch a disease

22-Mar-18
The thing I hate about xguns is getting out to my stand early and hoping I don't walk by one of these type of people in the dark.(or within 100 yards of them) I think xgun education should be mandatory. I'm thinking dicktyne didn't get any pics of that monster forkedhorn.

23-Mar-18
Fred is gone

23-Mar-18
I am a 2nd year crossbow hunter. I am not lazy. I do process my own deer. I don't shoot them any further than 30 yards. I shoot fewer deer now than when I was only a gun hunter. My 8 point this year was a full body pass thru as he was quartering to me while sniffing out a doe. I put myself in the right place, at the right time, took a good shot and harvested my prey. Some day I may try a compound for hunting, but for now... season three is on the horizon with the x bow. Hate if you will.

23-Mar-18
Rook we don't hate you . Your on the wrong site . This is a BOWSITE .

There are several crossbow sites you can visit & you'll be happier .

24-Mar-18
Funny. Here I thought they were called crossBOWS.

24-Mar-18
I do find you guys to have lots of good insite. Just don't understand why you have to bash someone who doesn't use the same tool.

24-Mar-18
Rookie, we don't always have to like everyone or everything. It's ok to not want to group hug every 5 minutes. It's ok to exclude some from things unless they meet certain criteria. Why do some people think that we have to make everything accessible and inclusive for all? Bowhunting was actually open to anyone that met the legal criteria before they hit the easy button.

24-Mar-18
Rookie, it is not so much what it is called, rather it is about what it is, a superior weapon being used in the wrong season.

Rut, I for one, am all out of group hugs.

24-Mar-18
As I said before, many on this forum are no longer are bowhunters, they have become crossbow hunters. Bowhunting has lost over 50% of it's participants. I am not sure this is really a bowhunting forum any longer. The mods and owner have said in other threads that it is ok to post pictures of crossbow kills. I don't know what that means but seems that crossbow discussions and use are now accepted here, maybe a transformation or evolution of some sort. In any event, I am staying with the new minority and will continue to hunt with a real hand drawn bow, an osage selfbow.

24-Mar-18
Trust me, you won't see me looking for group hugs either. Just letting you guys know that not all people who use one are lazy, bad hunters and poachers. I don't need your love, just trying to point something out but I know it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

24-Mar-18
Rookiee....... I have a question for you. What happens to the archery and cross gun seasons when the buck kill keeps increasing ????

24-Mar-18
Look on the "Bowsite" home page. Becoming a shill for the shoulder-fired, scope sighted weapon....

24-Mar-18
There is a problem when a superior weapon is in the bow hunting season. A weapon that has a success rate on bucks that is about what gun & bow is combined. Might as well just use rifels the whole time. That is why many are changing. They would like to get a buck before they are gone. I don't gun hunt but I don't hate gun hunters. Put the x guns where they belong & I wont hate them eaither.

24-Mar-18
Buckhunter, I can only take one buck where I hunt, so does it really matter what weapon I use?

24-Mar-18
Buckhunter, I can only take one buck where I hunt, so does it really matter what weapon I use?

24-Mar-18
Rookie..... In Wisconsin you are allowed one buck gun or muzzle loader and one buck archery or cross gun. Yes it does matter what you use. ITS NOT ARCHERY.

24-Mar-18
You have two buck tags. What does it matter what is used to kill it Buckmaster? Dead is dead. I don’t here the gun hunters bitching that bow hunters are in the woods at the same time as they are making the woods even more crowded. Matter of fact I don’t here them bitching about much except the DNR giving out to many doe tags in areas.

24-Mar-18
Gun hunters aren't complaining because they have the superior weapon.

24-Mar-18
Drop Tine what happens to archery and cross gun seasons when the buck kill keeps increasing???? By the way DT I don't bow hunt during the gun season

24-Mar-18
"Rookie..... In Wisconsin you are allowed one buck gun or muzzle loader and one buck archery or cross gun. Yes it does matter what you use. ITS NOT ARCHERY." Buck, why are you trying to inject common sense into an argument with people who are selfish? In the past, people hid from their ignorance, now people flaunt it like a badge of honor. Ditto to Tweed with his response to DT.

24-Mar-18
Droptine, I get what you are saying and it makes sense, except. Let's put it like this. Say there's a section with 10 hunters during bow season. Now the old rules maybe there were less in that section, but that's not my point on this. Say we have all 10 shooting real bows. Well pretty good odds that only 6/10 will kill bucks this way. Now bump that up to half of those using the crutch. If all those fill tags as they are more efficient and 3 or 4 of the real archers do, we have a problem. This all sounded better in my head, but i hope you get the gist of it.

25-Mar-18
Just reading reading Rookies post - He said he was allowed only only one buck where he hunts. I'm assuming he's hunting on land where he has permission and the landowner told him he is allowed only one buck.

25-Mar-18
Or hunting another state

25-Mar-18

lame crowndip's embedded Photo
lame crowndip's embedded Photo
Hunting with a shoulder-fired, scope sighted weapon is kinda like playing golf using this off the tee (swings a CLUB and hits a BALL).

25-Mar-18
"I don't need your love, just trying to point something out but I know it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks." Rookie, if you really want to teach old dogs a new trick, try using facts.

25-Mar-18
Isn't funny...... They come to a bow site and can't figure out why theres no love. Again to Drop Tine, Rookie and fellow cross gun lovers.... What happens to archery and cross gun seasons if the buck kill keeps increasing???? What did cross gunners agree to after a couple years???

25-Mar-18
The crossbow season equals that of the bow season in the number of days it runs. The statewide the crossbow harvest was less than 3000 bucks more than the bow harvest. The number 3000 is hardly a sky is falling in the scheme of things when talking of a population of 1.4M deer.

That being said, all things being equal in harvest and days afield. You can’t look at restricting one weapon without looking at the other.

25-Mar-18
A few of you seem to be taking all of your anger out on the guys that post here that hunt deer with a crossbow (legally btw) as if they are the sole reason crossbows are now legal to use during the exact same dates as the archery season. I highly doubt that's the case, silly haters, I think other influences were involved.

Although, aren't some of you haters that are bashing other hunters on this forum for choosing to use a weapon other than what you choose to use (nice work bringing hunters together for the sake of the sport) the same guys that wanted all of us to love/thank/group hug you for your part in making this happen since it was a wonderful thing because it was labeled "separate"? smh... .

FYI I do not hunt deer with a crossbow I use a compound, but unlike some of you I don't find pulling the compound back and holding it when a deer is in the area to be an almost impossible feat as we would be lead to believe the way some of you talk.

Food plotting season is coming up!

Happy hunting all, whatever weapon (legal of course) you choose to use!

25-Mar-18
No group hugs...

25-Mar-18
Drop Tine what was the agreement that was made after 2 years?? Want to bet if the cross gun kill increases ??????

25-Mar-18
It will increase if more people leave bowhunting for crossbow hunting.

More hunters equal more days afield, and that equates into more chances of success. BUT with less bowhunters their success goes down so once again all things are equal and in the big picture the same amount of deer are being harvested.

If your putting your all eggs in this basket being the spring hearings. Your being fooled. It’s nothing but one of those questions introduced to attract attention and boost attendance to the hearings. Just like the Ferrel cat question, and Sandhill Crane season question as examples.

25-Mar-18
Again DT what was the agreement after 2 years of cross gun season??? Hunter R this is a bow site. GO AWAY

25-Mar-18
There was no agreement. It was what was offered.

But if you read my posts. You will see there is no biological or scientific reason to make a change at this time. Don’t be so blinded by your hate.

25-Mar-18
DT its not hate at all. I just can't stand liars.

25-Mar-18
You must not fish then? LOL

25-Mar-18
Buck, it is sometimes fun to banter with these people but at the same time it is sad. History has proven in many different issues that being reactive to a situation makes it much more difficult to address said situation than being cautiously proactive. Sometimes I am amazed at the greed and the shallowness of thought process that many have, but maybe I should not be. Listen to any of the major news networks for ten minutes and it becomes clear all too fast that common sense is on the decline.

25-Mar-18
Drop Tine good one..... but I do try to fish. Will be going up Wednesday to Eagle River. CaptMike your right.

25-Mar-18

Tweed's embedded Photo
BOWSITE GROUP HUG!
Tweed's embedded Photo
BOWSITE GROUP HUG!

25-Mar-18
You’ll drive right past me if you go up 17

25-Mar-18
LOVE IT TWEED

25-Mar-18
Buck if your in the Eagle River area take 70 to LiL Arb . Head out , stay left for a 1/2 mile . Fish the 6 ft weed beds . Got a limit of Perch & crappies last week .

25-Mar-18

26-Mar-18
Thanks Ruger1022

• Sitka Gear