N2BUX 15-Mar-18
z hunter 15-Mar-18
writer 15-Mar-18
Brick 16-Mar-18
N2BUX 16-Mar-18
DRose 15-Apr-18
z hunter 15-Apr-18
12-Mar-18
Anyone heard of Hells Half Acre between Coldwater and Medicine lodge - supposed to be located on Elk Creek just west of Sun City inside the NE corner of Commanche County.

A guy I've connected with does awesome drone video work/photography of natural formations and is interested in filming it I believe. Likely everyone here has seen his work as he's done work for the Nature Conservancy and a few other big names as of late.

Any info appreciated - figured some guys here may know.

12-Mar-18
Yeah, it’s located on private property and no hiking trails to access it.

12-Mar-18
We know that - unsure of exact location to attempt to get landowner permission

13-Mar-18

z hunter's Link

13-Mar-18

z hunter's embedded Photo
Belongs to a NC company.

13-Mar-18

13-Mar-18
Interesting looking place, I’ve never heard of it and my sister and brother-in-law lived in Protection 5 years.

13-Mar-18
Thank you Zhunter....I'll pass along to my friend - Im sure if he could let the landowner know what he does they'd be thrilled to let him do his thing. I think this is pretty close to where he was thinking it was located at.

14-Mar-18
We'll fly over it Shane when I buy my plane

14-Mar-18
You might check with area ranchers to see if a local has it leased for grazing. That might be the easiest way to find out who to contact as per permission. If there are cattle on it, you’d want to let they person with grazing rights know so they don’t shoot down an expensive drone.

15-Mar-18
I'm talking a Piper, not a drone.

15-Mar-18
Yes, Jason, we know you’re seriously thinking about buying a plane. Shane is trying to assist someone who wants to fly a drone over the area. My suggestion was towards that. Shane, I can check with several friends who ranch in that area if you’d like?

15-Mar-18
Aurora LLC is the Hashknife Ranch. The Kogers won't let you on their property but it appears, according to the map above, there might some sort of county road right next to it so I suppose you could just stop on the road then fly your drone from the road.

15-Mar-18
Aurora owns 2 other nearby properties in that area..totalling about 24k acres. With another 17,700+/- adjacent to the Aurora properties in the Koger name. No public roads are maintained thru the Hashknife.

15-Mar-18
Seen a lot of cool places on the Hashknife with Ed. Not sure I’ve seen that, though.

16-Mar-18
A blog post with minimal information on the site: https://www.abt-films.com/kansas-scenic-locations/kansas-cartography-hells-half-acre

This expansive page contains some information on the geology of the site. Press cntrl-f to bring up the search bar. Type in "hell's" to find mention of hell's half acre. http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/Bulletins/Vol2/05_lowcret.html

16-Mar-18
Z Hunter, there are public roads through the Hashknife. I drive them frequently.

15-Apr-18
I have been to Hells Half Acre many years ago. Contact Susan Koger at the Broken Heart Ranch, Wilmore, Kansas or Ed Koger at the Hashknife Ranch, Wilmore, Kansas for permission to cross private land to get to site and for permission to shoot drone video. It is an amazing site to see from the ground and probably even more spectacular from the air.

15-Apr-18

z hunter's Link
I was just stating what i read..

• Sitka Gear