Will 16-Mar-18
Jebediah 16-Mar-18
xi 16-Mar-18
captain 17-Mar-18
Jamison Clark III 18-Mar-18
badjuju 18-Mar-18
TWalls20 18-Mar-18
16-Mar-18
Have any of you ever used a electric training collar to reinforce commands on your dog and if so do they really work and which one did you use

16-Mar-18
No but the wife finally came around to listening once I strapped it on her !!!!!

All joking aside I have never used them always used the treats as a way to reinforce a good job

16-Mar-18
Son tried Petsafe on his Husky pup and it didn't work well he said. I used LlBean for my Golden which worked well.

16-Mar-18
Yup. I honestly don't use it that much because I don't need to anymore but man does it work well. You really only need to use it a couple times and they will start listening much better. I wouldn't be without one training a new dog. I have a Sport Dog one, not sure which model. Plenty of good reviews on it. There are a lot of good ones out there tho. Just make sure it has good range, waterproof, has a vibrate feature, and has adjustable levels of "zap".

16-Mar-18
Yea worked incredibly well with my dog. Couldn't trust him off the leash because he'd take off after animals. He ran off into the street a couple times and I said I'd rather try the collar than lose my dog to a car. Got the Dogtra brand and it's worked great.

Put the collar on tight enough so the metal probes make consistent contact. Let him burn off some energy, then as he starts to wander off tell him to come. When he doesn't listen, repeat the command, then when he ignores you again give him a very quick zap. Not ever designed to hurt him, just to break his focus on whatever he's doing so he pays attention to the command. Tell him to come again and when he does, praise the hell out of him. Make sure you don't let him get "collar smart" and realize that he only has to listen when the collar is on. After 1 hour of training, I never had to use it again except to give him a "reminder' every year or so when he started ignoring commands. It sits in a drawer now but was worth every penny, could have saved his life many times over.

16-Mar-18
I'm not a dog owner. But a buddy I mountain bike with used one on his new beagle pup last year. She'd run while we rode, and she wanted to chase every scent. He got one, and she's really spot on now following along and not going off, or responding fast to a call when she does.

16-Mar-18
Not exactly the same thing, I realize, but we have “invisible fence” for yard. Shock collars stay on all the time. They give a warning beep about 5 feet before the fence (and the shock). Initially I was reluctant about the whole thing—not a big fan of shocking animals—but it works great. It took dogs maybe two instances to learn that the beep comes before the shock. Now they don’t get shocked, ever. I imagine the mobile setups would be equally effective.

16-Mar-18
Best thing for training a dog when used right. Started using them 30 yrs ago with a Professional lab trainer from Monson, MA. Currently use the Cabelas GS-4000, aka, Sportdog unit, that's who makes it for them. Research them, and most importantly, please use it right.

17-Mar-18
Trust me it would be use correctly its just to correct the vibration mode is what i would use no need to shock if there is no reason I live in where there are a lot of bear around an don't want my pup not listing to me when he needs to

18-Mar-18
I’ve been using Sportdog for close to 20 years now. It’s an extremely effective tool of used right. I train my dogs with a combination of shocks and beeps and usually within a week or so they only need beeps to get their attention.

18-Mar-18
we have one for our Lab. also use the invisible fence and that was first. it is to the point now that when we put the training collar on her outside the yard all we have to do is show her the remote and she behaves. I think that is because the first time my wife used it and she didn't come straight back she got a little zap. now she knows. I let her go about 15yds ahead and we give her one quick vibrate and she comes right back. overall she takes command well and is good natured, not as rambunctious as some Labs so I think that helps. she pulls a bit on the leash and when we take her to soccer / softball games we want her to listen and not jump up on people. this is the brand Petronics Rechargeable Shock Training Collar With Remote, Electronic For Large Dog With Static, Vibration, Beep And Light, 330 yd.

18-Mar-18
Sportdog 1825. Repeating what someone else said which is “be sure to use it right”— simply put, you use a correction (shock, nick, vibration) when the dog isn’t doing what you ask— most people use it AS the command, and the result is a dog that never wants to leave your side in fear of being zapped. Example: telling your dog “here” - if they don’t listen to the command, then offer the correction, as opposed to hitting the button each time you want the dog to do something

• Sitka Gear