raceguy 17-Mar-18
splitlimb13 17-Mar-18
JRABQ 17-Mar-18
splitlimb13 17-Mar-18
raceguy 18-Mar-18
JRABQ 19-Mar-18
raceguy 19-Mar-18
17-Mar-18
Nevermind my post, sorry. I'm just trying to figure out where the city limits expand to. My maps don't show it. I've been told that the city limit goes up to the crest of the Sandias. The city prohibits "propulsion of missile" which is an an arrow from what I've been told by a police officer, which would prohibit hunting in the foothills. Just curious.

17-Mar-18
Definitely can hunt the foothills . Good luck drawing the tag,gotta try but it us the hardest January hunt to draw in the state.

17-Mar-18
It depends. In some/most places the "foothills" are Forest Service property, mostly wilderness but legal to bowhunt. In other places it is ABQ "Open Space" and not legal. You should be able to find the forest service boundary online (or buy Cibola Nat Forest map), in practice it is often an old broken down fence.

17-Mar-18
Onx maps.

18-Mar-18
Thanks guys. I know where the NF property lines are and that rickety fence. I used to hunt it almost every afternoon in high school when it was OTC. I still occasionally poke around for yotes up there.

Somebody once told me that the ABQ city limit was extended onto NF property, all the way up to the crest. It was done so to give APD law enforcement powers (remember the guy being shot by APD a few years ago in the foothills, not sure if it was open space or NF) and allow the City Fire and Rescue to operate on NF to rescue injured hikers and stuff. It just got me curious and I'm not even sure if its true or not.

19-Mar-18
The guy who was shot was in the Open Space, from what I recall. I've never heard the deal about ABQ city limits going up to the top of the crest, I suspect it is BS. In any case you can hunt NF with proper license.

19-Mar-18
I'm thinking the same, but figured I'd ask. Its the off season and we need things to ponder and talk about.

• Sitka Gear