Dthfrmabove 07-Apr-18
TT-Pi 07-Apr-18
Jebediah 08-Apr-18
peterk1234 08-Apr-18
BruceP 08-Apr-18
hickstick 08-Apr-18
mrw 08-Apr-18
17-Mar-18
This thread is for the purpose to find out The Who, where they live, can you host.....

A central spot can be picked by looking at a map and possibly determining a central location for all

Shawn / Marion, MA. / yes

17-Mar-18
Pete/Boylston/yes

I am five minutes from the Route 290/495 interchange.

17-Mar-18
I'm in but cannot host. Lemme know when and where and I'll be there with venison and a cooler.

17-Mar-18
Coming from natick

17-Mar-18
Moons, sounds like an online hook up, " I can't host, but I'll be there, saddle people" !

17-Mar-18
My parents would not be too happy if 20 dudes showed up and started climbing my one and only tree in my yard! hahaha. The online thing works xi. Check out tinder ;)

17-Mar-18
Joe/Beverly/can't host

17-Mar-18
Bruce/Littleton

Gonna try to make it but can't really host

17-Mar-18
Moons, pictured you as a "Backroom.com" person. Keep safe, Bro !

17-Mar-18
Will / Leominster / Can't host... Hoping, but likely wont know for sure until Wed or Thurs of that week regrettably.

18-Mar-18
I can host But its 5hrs. west of Springfield.

18-Mar-18
Plan to be there regardless of where. Any of the Western Mass guys want to carpool we could meet at the Exit 7 park and ride. F150 and dont mind driving.

Tekoa

18-Mar-18
Guys, if Auburn is a central location I can check to see if the Auburn Sportsman Club will allow us to do it there. I am a member there. I can't imagine they would have an issue since they have a bar there and would certainly welcome the business, but in this day and age, who knows. Pete

18-Mar-18
I'm in Lowell, so it would probably be difficult for me to host, unless we want to climb telephone poles! Lol. I'm definitely in though, I was thinking a Sportsmens club sounds good, but I don't mind driving.

18-Mar-18
looks like we got some pretty good responses so far. Let's keep it up. It seems that central mass Worcester area is a safe bet to be in the middle of everyone. I will be bringing a climber I bought also in case anyone wants to try it. I know there was mention by some of wanting a lightweight packable climber. I don't think I will use it anymore and sad to say I just bought it last year and only used it 5 or 6 times. It's the summit open shot. Definitely not a climber for rookies to use, but man what a shot selection being in this thing gives you. Will also bring some venison summer sausage and snack sticks to share. If we are allowed to at a sportsmans club ( if we decide to meet there )

19-Mar-18
Mike/Swansea

19-Mar-18
Fran/Dartmouth. I would like to come as long as it's not too far of a ride. If it works out I will bring a dish.

19-Mar-18
What’s her name Fran?

21-Mar-18
Damn, unfortunatley I will not be able to make this one on April 8th. Have fun guys. Tekoa

21-Mar-18
I'm in for now. Shrewsbury. can't host. def be down for Auburn or I think someone else mentioned hopkinton on the other thread. either works for me.

21-Mar-18
I just sent an email to someone at the club in Auburn to see if they would let us meet there. I will keep you posted. Pete

Edit: They already responded and felt they could accommodate us. I just need to know if this is the preferred location so I can get it squared away.

21-Mar-18
Works for me thanks pete

21-Mar-18
Mark, Rehoboth, I can host, just off route 44 in Rehoboth. But, I'm cool with Auburn too.

Just to throw this out there for discussion - although I think it would be best to have one event, if more people can make it if it's a shorter trip then we should consider two sites and/or dates.

And regardless of where, I won't be cooking anything up, I'll just be getting back from a business trip the night before and cooking is the last thing I'm going to do!

21-Mar-18
Seems we got two locations. Marks and the auburn sportsmans club. Either one is fine with me I will print out a map this weekend and drop pins on the locations. I think that either one is a good solution. Does everyone have a preference about the locations.

Thanks Mark. Generous of you to offer. I will cook if we go to your house !!!!

21-Mar-18
I'm fine either way, but I'd rather not split into 2 groups, just because I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. The only thing that appealed to me about the club is maybe we could all get some shooting in as well. It will be great at any location. I can bring food for everyone also, it's the least I can do!

21-Mar-18
I second Eastie's motion about not splitting into two groups. And getting some shooting at the club sounds great to me as well.

21-Mar-18
I would love to join, but April 8 is my son's 9th birthday party. I'm giving him his first bow. Bought a Mission Craze 2 at Reedy's. If it were a different day, I could host. I have 3.71 acres and another 800 acres of conservation land as my back yard. If people brough targets, as I ony have 1, then we would have been able to shoot too. How about another gathering in warmer weather. If that is an option, June for round 2 sound great for me. Not trying to change the date, just saying I can provide the host location for a meet, try saddles, try climbers, shoot bows, and BBQ in my back yard in June. Keep it in mind and we can talk again another time. Enjoy the April get together guys. Sounds like a great time.

22-Mar-18
Do we have a consensus yet? Sorry to push, but I need to know if Auburn is the goal so I can square away the details. In this day of insurance and liability, I want to be sure there are no hurdles. I can also try to get access to an outside grill. I am happy to give them 20 bucks for a tank of propane. Pete

22-Mar-18
I am in for either doesn't matter to me which one. I think we need to hear from some of the guys who live a little further out to chime in. I am only a little over an hour away from there.

Let's make a decision by Sunday

22-Mar-18
Auburn works!

22-Mar-18
Auburn works!

22-Mar-18
Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to make it again this year. Always busy with the kids and sports etc

22-Mar-18
I'll put in a vote for Auburn as well.

22-Mar-18
Auburn is easy for me - maybe 30-40' pending where in town the club is. But, I'm going to be last minute, and could make it to either. So as someone noted above, MRW's or Auburn work... I'd vote Auburn, but not being sure about whether I can go makes it hard to commit knowing I could be making it tougher on someone from the SE or NE etc...

23-Mar-18
3 for auburn so far

2 doesn't matter

23-Mar-18
13 guys committed so far

1 possible

4 votes for Auburn Sportsmans Club.

If we have it at auburn I have 1 maybe 2 friends who would like to attend, if that's alright with you guys. I think auburn would be a good spot. The guys out west can catch the pike to auburn itself and the guys north can take either 190 or 495 south

In so far is as follows:

Dthfrmabove/Peterk/Moons/Xi/Huntskifishcook/BruceP/Will ?/Drslyr/Eastie/Bowandspear/Fran/Hickstick/MRW

so far only myself and Fran from the southcoast. Pretty sure we have TT-PI / tdurr/ qdiver/ and I know there are a couple others. Would like to see camoguy123 show up and bring some samples. Perfect opportunity for any feedback and I know some orders will be placed !!!

Sunday is the deadline so Pete can notify the club as soon as possible to work out any issues that might arise. Who else is in????

23-Mar-18
Bump

24-Mar-18
So silly question....... Of those that plan to go, how many are saddle hunting currently? Pete

24-Mar-18
I think it is just MRW and hickstick

24-Mar-18
I am pushing this guys so don't get annoyed with me. Is everyone OK with Auburn as the central meeting place? I have 3 kids at home and with dance, hockey and high school sports between them plus the fact my wife teaches at a private boarding school, weekends have to be planned ahead of time for me. Way ahead of time. I would like to be able to give the heads up to her and also give Pete time to make sure we are all set there.

Are we all in on this? And if so what should the time be for starting and ending?

24-Mar-18
Dth, thanks. I'm in for auburn April 8. 10am start? Anything works for me. Thanks again Pete for hosting.

25-Mar-18
I say we pull the trigger on Auburn!

25-Mar-18
Dude, Auburn. Don't be shy, run with it!

Anything I can do yo help, let me know. I'll be bringing a Trophyline Saddle, a Kestrel, few different sticks, steps and whatever else I have used, or tried to use, to climb trees.

25-Mar-18
Okay. I will reach out to and get the final ok. I know some people have offered to bring food. I can't remember for sure if they have a grill, so you may have to bring a camping cook top or something. I will ask if we can use a grill if they have one though. I will extend the invitation to the archery director as well to help keep things happy.

I will bring my sitdrag and rock climbing harness setup. I have never hunted with it though. But I have been practicing religiously in my back yard. I am using Steps and a whoopie aider as my climbing system. Hopefully by April 8th I can actually show everyone how it works without looking like a fool. I just tested on a tree that was at best five inches in diameter as I climbed. Worked great. Pete

25-Mar-18
Great idea guys, would love to attend but Sundays are now taken up by baseball double headers. Enjoy, be safe, don't use spurs!!

25-Mar-18
I'm definitely good with Auburn. I'm bringing Italian food so no grill needed here. I hear you Primal , my thinking with this saddle set up was to be able to hunt any state and not have to screw anything in a tree. Can't wait to learn more and see other guys rigs!

25-Mar-18
Auburn is all set. I will try to get there today or sometime during the week to prepare an area with some trees. I will try to have some set up with a shootable lane at a target. I know the targets in the field course are in tough shape and have to be rebuilt but they should be good enough for our purposes. I will try to remember to bring a foam target from home as well. Pete

25-Mar-18
Thanks for setting everything up, Pete. My kestrel is on back order, but is supposed to be shipped on the 28th so if I have it by then I'll be as green as a guy can be.

25-Mar-18
Thanks Pete, I'll bring a couple of bag targets from the house.

25-Mar-18
Looking good guys. I found an area not far off the road and I have about a half dozen trees we can use. I cleaned some up a bit so we can climb them. I tried to select some trees of various dimensions and shapes so the experienced saddle guys can show how versatile the setup is. Plenty of spaces in the open to drop in some foam blocks. I need to get in there one more time once the snow is gone to clean up a bit more. If I can get hold of the Archery director, then I will see about getting a couple of 3D targets out there as well. So bring your bows. Should we shoot for 10am or is that too early? I will draw up a map of the parking and where to go in the woods later this week.

25-Mar-18
Thanks for the effort in setting up Pete. I am good with 10 am

Do we know if we have a grill available to use ?? I have an extra propane tank laying around I can bring

I will put the boots in my car now so I don't forget. Lol

25-Mar-18
I don't know about the grill yet. I will try to find out this week. Pete

26-Mar-18
If there is no grill available there I can put my grill in the back of my truck and bring that. It's just a standard size propane grill but it would probably work out fine. Let me know.

26-Mar-18
Dang, you guys know how to do something! April 8 correct, 10AM, Auborn Sportsmans Club. Fingers crossed!

I haven't shot an arrow since the end of archery, just busy. It will be neat to see if I can hit a target (assuming I can pull it off and get there)...

26-Mar-18
10 am works for me. Will, you better come, I've got a bunch of questions about this book some guy told me about! ;-) Also I need some pointers on the extinguisher call! Dang Will, I hope your getting kick backs, your a heck of a salesman! Lol

26-Mar-18
Will bring a lone wolf sit and climb and a lone wolf Alpha. lock on with lone wolf sticks

26-Mar-18
Those of you folks that are climbing using aiders, sticks, Steps, etc., please bring your systems. It seems to be an area that causes the most debate with saddle hunters. How best to climb. Stealth/packability vs. Speed.

26-Mar-18
Will

you better be able to come. We need to share notes on Princeton. If you can come I also would be up for taking a peek out there before the get together. I can get my ass up a little earlier to meet you out there and take a walk in the woods !!!!

26-Mar-18
what is this event?,,,, what's throwing me is people are bringing climbers and stands?

26-Mar-18
Tajue, it began as a way for those who use saddles to show us newbies how they work and it's transitioned into many different tree hunting methods being showcased. Plus food and shooting!

26-Mar-18
And beer!!!

26-Mar-18
Don't let the thread fool you. It is about the saddles, but it is also a way for us to get together and put a real name and face that is behind the avatar m. A way for us to get together and meet face to face and share some good times all are invited so don't think it's just for the guys who are interested in the saddles

26-Mar-18
Lookin got forward to it! I'm good at beer

27-Mar-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo

27-Mar-18
If I can pull this off... looking good now... Ill bring (root) BEER! (for those of us who are non drinkers :)

27-Mar-18
Auburn has a bar. I will confirm that it is open. I am sure they would welcome the business, and they may have rules against bringing your own booze. Let me look into it. Pete

27-Mar-18
I could bring some home made wine if allowed, just let me know.

27-Mar-18
If you're able to come, Will, I'll throw back a couple root beers with you. I might get a little crazy and have 3 or 4 of em'.

27-Mar-18
Look out fellas - HSFC and I are going to rock the Auburn sportsman club. We Gonna rage on sugar man! RAGE! :)

27-Mar-18
I stopped by the club today. We cannot bring our own booze but I checked at the bar and you guys are allowed to hang there and buy drinks as my guest. So that is all set. The prices are great there.

I cannot get a straight answer on the grill. I will have to look around on Saturday when I help to set up Sunday's 3D shoot. I think as long as I bring a tank (although I think as a member I can use what is there) we are a go. Just need to make sure it exists and works.

Pete

27-Mar-18
Awww, and I had a few jars of this fabulous peach concoction I wanted to experiment on you guys with! Ahh, this really isn't a drinking event anyhow, unless I fall out of the tree, then all bets are off!

Not sure on the timing, but if I get back from Canadia early enough I have a front shoulder that will make a real nice chili, or a stew, hard to tell until I see what's in the fridge.

28-Mar-18
Hey now the peach concoction will work. We just need to keep buying beers at the bar. Lol. Don't want to get Pete in trouble at auburn so use your best judgement. Don't let peer pressure drive you to bring it. Hahahah

If you fall out of the tree I will catch you only to keep the flask from breaking !!!!

29-Mar-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
peterk1234's embedded Photo
Before I forget; here is a "map" of where to park and where in the woods we will meet. PM me and I will send you my cell phone if you are worried about wondering off in the wrong direction. Pete

29-Mar-18
Secret in the woods meeting,.. love it. So who is passing out the name tags! I am just slapping some mud on my forehead,.. figure you all can go "BB!" LOL

30-Mar-18
Ok.... we have a grill. I will bring an extra tank of propane just in case. Location; check Trees to use; check Bar will be open at noon; check grill;check I think we are good. We just need a few of the guys that show up to actually know how saddle hunt :) Pete

30-Mar-18
Great job Pete getting this thing up and running at the sportsmans club. Will be a good time. I am going to bring some venison summer sausage to snack on at the bar for lunch. Lol

30-Mar-18
I can't be there... someone please take some photos and post them here.

30-Mar-18
Peter - you have done some serious work here. Amazing! Good point on the saddle thing. If not, we will all be hanging out saying stuff like: "bet that would be a good tree"

30-Mar-18
What's Saddle Hunting?

30-Mar-18
Nice job Pete! I'll have 2 Saddles; an original Trophy Line and a new Kestrel. Hopefully I'll have a chance to cook something up!

30-Mar-18
Awesome Pete thanks.

30-Mar-18
My kestrel shipped two days ago! Stoked to give it a try next week!

31-Mar-18
HFC, you're going to love it! My Kestrel is a lot more comfortable than my Trophy Line.

31-Mar-18
Looking forward to getting some pointers from you pros next weekend, mrw.

01-Apr-18
The archery director at the club was kind enough to loan me two 3d targets, so I won't need anybody to bring any. I will bring a bag target as well, giving us plenty to shoot at.

Keep your fingers crossed that the weather holds.

Pete

01-Apr-18
Looks like you have all things under control think I will try to make it Sunday looking forward to meeting with eceryone

02-Apr-18
Awesome Captain - good to hear the healing is going great!

02-Apr-18
I'm out for this one boys, between softball in Taunton & Baseball in Bourne and the 5/yo in the car seat asking " Dad! We there yet?, I'm hungry, can I listen to Cat Country 98.1 Dad? I have to pee, can you turn the music down Dad, I'm thirsty! We there NOW? I will have my hands full being Dadzilla! Next time ( I hope) cheers Boys! Have fun

04-Apr-18
Looks like mostly cloudy, mid 40's and NW wind at ~10mph. Some rain overnight but that should stop by daylight.

04-Apr-18
so who's bringing the horse we can put the saddle on??? he he

see you guys sunday unless I somehow incapacitate myself between now and then.

04-Apr-18
sounds like its going to be a good time with like minded folks. wish i could make it,little out of the way. like jimbo ,said post some pics guys.

04-Apr-18
I will make sure we have a bunch of pics. Going to be legit hunting weather. Would love another five degrees from the saddlehunting gods though.

04-Apr-18
Can't wait to see the masters of the saddles climb, sit and show us how to really use these things to their full capability. If I can be taught how to get comfy in one of these I am going to pull the trigger on one instantly. Like I said before I had one just never quite figured it out and gave it away. That being said I think I was too used to a climber before and never really gave it a chanc

05-Apr-18
Clearly this meeting calls for a secret handshake, or a password. Sounds like a great time—have fun!

05-Apr-18
Peter - what's the time for this again... it's in here some place and I'm missing it? 10AM? Auburn Sportsmans club.

Will

05-Apr-18
10AM. Auburn Sportsmens Club 50 Elm Street Auburn MA My cell: 508 847 6844 Pete

05-Apr-18
Beautiful. Plenty of time to do what we need to do then settle in at the bar for the final round of the masters!

05-Apr-18
Big time problems with USPS getting my saddle to me. I might have to try one of you fine gentlemans crotch hangin' devices, lol.

05-Apr-18
Ya, the USPS blows chunks. My turkey choke tube has been in transit forever. It just got pushed another five days. I think they have gone back to using the pony express.

05-Apr-18
I am working.. You nut huggers have a good time and be safe! I believe I am number 100 on this thread!

05-Apr-18
Oh that's great. We are gonna have a bunch of guys in the same banana hammocks !!!!! I will bring the hand sanitizer. Lol

06-Apr-18
DFA, I swim a fair bit, I could bring a banana hammock if you want to try one of those out as well as a saddle... Whoa... this is getting weird...

(NOTE: I used to, but dont swim in one of those any more...)

06-Apr-18
I go either banana hammock or full blown commando. But that's usually under a wetsuit!

06-Apr-18
I've seen what's under your wetsuit Sir! Some thing cannot be unseen..... ha ha So when we going diving?

06-Apr-18
Will, see what you started now. This is going south fast...

06-Apr-18
Hey Guys, Just heard this New Joke: How many posts does it take to get 10 guys to a saddle stand rendezvous? LOL One......................Hundred! Good luck Men! Let's Saddle Up!

06-Apr-18
Bruce - dont deflect reality my friend. YOU started this. I just caught your pass and ran for the goal line :)

That said, it will be interesting to see how many folks show up. Watch there be 3 of us.

06-Apr-18
Hahahah Will I don't want to give anyone nightmares with a burnt image in their brain of me in a banana hammock.

I think we will have a good turnout this weekend. Is this the first ever large get together for the mass guys? If it is I will keep the banana hammock in the car just in case it goes south. I have one in camo and blaze orange ( for safety ) !!!!

07-Apr-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
It's looking like low to mid 40's, overcast, NNE ~ 10 knots. This is a ton better than PEI yesterday!

07-Apr-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Chili is in the pot, starting to get my crap together. Looking forward to meeting some of you meatheads!

07-Apr-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Got the summer sausage smoking. Don't know what it's going to taste like. Put a little extra jalapeño innit this time.

07-Apr-18
I will get there a little early to leave a trail of night eyes for Mark to find his way in. Lol. Sorry couldn't resist

07-Apr-18
Two 3D deer, a tank of propane (justin case), lighter, tongs, cooking fork, bow, wild edge steps, and my new hunting pack are in the truck. Also I am bringing my weird platform setup that I have been testing, whoopie aider and my brand new invention; the leg aider. Still in testing mode with the leg aider, but I think I may be on to something.

I will be there early to set up the stuffed animals.

Address: 10AM. Auburn Sportsmens Club 50 Elm Street Auburn MA

My cell: 508 847 6844 Pete

07-Apr-18
Awesome looks good guys! what is everyone else planning on bringing for food? Want me to bring sides like potato salad, pasta salad, coke slaw etc. Or venison or are we going to have enough of that? Lemme know! Looking forward to tomorrow

07-Apr-18

Eastie778's embedded Photo
Gravy is simmering , sausage is just about to go in, bringing enough food to feed a small army. This is a real shindig we have going here!

07-Apr-18

07-Apr-18
I have some summer sausage we can snack on while we watch the final round or while we climb. Easy finger food!!

07-Apr-18
I got totally skunked on deer last season, but I've got a boat load of fish in the freezer so I'm simmering a big ol' pot of chowdah.

07-Apr-18
Think we got enough moons but if you are inclined to bring, we will eat it !!!

07-Apr-18
Have a great time guys. Sorry, I can't make it. Full plate right now. Perhaps we can get something going this summer ... I have an Idea. Get through this one first. - Pi

08-Apr-18
Have fun today, be safe, hope to see some pictures

08-Apr-18
You will see a white Toyota Sequoia park across the pond when you walk down from the parking lot. You will want to walk to the area were that Toyota is parked. Across the street from there there will be a small entrance Into the Woods. That is where you will want to enter. You will see some fluorescent marking tape at the entrance.

08-Apr-18
Dth, don't bother leaving the night eyes. Mark will just steal them...

Sounds like there's gonna be lots of food and my culinary skills are severely lacking. I'll just bring cash to buy a round...

08-Apr-18
on my way guys....unfortunately I wont be able to stay all day...I gotta get my phone fixed. but I'll try t get as many guys in the kestral as possible. unless of course you're in a banana hammock.....no pants - no dice. lol

08-Apr-18
Great time! Great food! Great guys!

Great meeting y'all, I'll throw some pics up in the other thread. Wouldn't want this one to get past 125!

• Sitka Gear