Strapped 19-Mar-18
raspy old hen 19-Mar-18
RUGER1022 19-Mar-18
Monarch 20-Mar-18
RUGER1022 20-Mar-18
South Farm 21-Mar-18
MuskyBuck 21-Mar-18
17-Mar-18
Bowhunters sometimes name the stands on their property. I did, have you? Post the names and why. (There's gotta be a few good names & stories from the fellows on this forum! Let's hear 'em.!)

"Oh Sh!t" - the first words out of my buddy's mouth when he took a shot from this new stand.

"Money" - because that's where we almost always see bucks.

"The Knoll" - located on a slight rise in a otherwise flat area.

"Ten" - That's how high it is. Wife's stand, only ten feet.

"Crossroads" - where two ATV trails intersect.

Other stand names are: "Hi-Pallet", "South Fenceline", "West Point", "Turn Around", "Camp Stand", "Fourteen", "Two By Four", "Bottom", "Shorty", etc., etc.,....

17-Mar-18
Interesting. Ok Rim Pipe Point SE plot Waterfall Shortcut Bottom North Ladder stand (only 1 ladder) New bottom Plantation South field Jason's Grand central West plot Nothing too cute but it seems names are easier to remember than numbers. Would like a money stand.

18-Mar-18
I name my stands but I'm not real creative.

"My favorite stand"- Killer funnel on the top of a ridge with a field to the south and a steep ditch north. It sits between the two nastiest bedding areas on the property. They have to cross the ditch at this point or cross through the steep walls of it or walk the open field. My entry is almost bullet proof as I cross the neighbors open field that slopes steeply so I'm hidden from view of the woods almost right up until I pop under the fence to our land. My stand is a short, quiet 27 yards from the fence crossing.

"The nosebleed stand"- My buddy named one of my stands this after he sat this stand the only time he ever has. To take advantage of what cover there is, it had to be hung at 27 feet. Add to that on one side the land slopes away about 12 feet. It really feels like you are up there. This stand is why I practice shooting at extreme angles.

"Brooke's, Dan's,Levi's blind"- This is a spot that we set up and brush in a pop up every year. It has produced first deer for my son Levi, my daughter Brooke, and my best friend Dan. They all raz each other about who's spot it is.

I have many others but I'm already sick of typing. More later, cool thread.

18-Mar-18
I don't have them all named but a couple are.

"Knobby tree"- there's a knob the sticks you in the lower back

"Football field"- woods on both sides but there is open field the size of a football field in front of the stand

"No Trespassing"- there's a no trespassing sign by the stand

18-Mar-18
"Fully 12" was named for a buddy who helped put it up in 2012. "Blue 13" named because a little piece of blue plastic tape was on the ground near this spot, and it was put up in 2013. Others named either for their location, who picked the spot or one where a good deer was killed. My favorite is "Georgie's stand," named after my nephew who is no longer with us.

18-Mar-18
I had one called the "Hole"....... it was a chair, that I put in a blow down, in the trout stream, and shot up, towards the beaver dam, as the deer crossed. The beaver dam, sat in a steep ravine, and the hills around it were all maple and popple, it looked like one big deep hole, from the ridge................... loved that place,,,,, when I started to think outside the box, many years ago, I shot some nice deer, going over that dam....

But alas one year, the USFS had blew it up, or cleared it out, for stream control, and that honey hole never returned,,,,,,

18-Mar-18
Third ridge and the knob.

18-Mar-18
I like this: Dads stand: we always harvest a buck here and it was where dad harvested his last deer before he passed., 52: 52 acre piece, homestead: old farmstead here, hideout: thick hole, bent tree: self explanatory, Ash creek: big old ash tree on a creek bend, Cats island: actually after my nephew who hunts here, Catpult: wind storm I got blown out, Gma's stand: she is 80 and still hunts rifle with us., Cabin stand: 8X12 12 foot high, cabin, deck, we can stay in it and the wife rifle hunts it., Oak Point: big oaks point on the creek, Texas: South west corner of property, Crane pond: old beaver pond had 25 crane nests when we bought this piece., Trespass: we always have trouble here, Porcupine: had a porcupine in this stand when it first went up., Border stand: mile long property line we hunt this stand forever., oil derrick: stand built like an oil drill, Sanctuary: edge of a bedding area we never enter, To HI: yep 33 feet, Eagles nest: next to a tree with eagles nest, cranky: many big deer missed here,., bears den: self explanatory, badger: brother was treed by a badger up a big oak. would not let him come down.,

18-Mar-18
I'll play! "Dry Creek"- a seasonal creek runs next to it. Only had water in the creek once during archery season and it made hearing Nything very difficult. "Lee's Too High" - Its a portable strap on stand that is 30+ ft in a tree that nobody will hunt except our friend Lee. "Maple Lane" It is on a ridge covered with Maple trees. "Deep Space 9"- Its in the far corner of our property and its not easy to get to. "Squirrel Cage" The tree has a hole in it that is inhabited by a family of Red squirrels that take pleasure in surprising you. "Big Wood"- Its a wooden box stand used mostly during the gun season on a tall ridge where you feel like your 40 feet off the ground because the terrain drops so sharply.

19-Mar-18
Most of ours are named. Trying to get my dad to tell my mother which stand he is going to when he goes since he hunts during the week by himself. I see this as a safety plan as much as anything so if something happens we have a starting point to look. But we have elevator (high stand), bunker blind, field edge, upper and lower 8 point (named because of number of 8 points in the area of few years ago, harp, telephone booth, creek crossing, cat stand, bluff, Mom’s stand, gate stand, Keena’s Stand, and far Ridge.

19-Mar-18
I don't name my stands but this thread reminded me of this scene

19-Mar-18

Fireman15's embedded Photo
Fireman15's embedded Photo
I named one last fall "The Hornet Stand". I had left a stand in over winter only to find a huge bald faced hornet's nest hanging about 5 yards away last summer. Thankfully it wasn't in a shooting lane. Interestingly, the entire nest disappeared in October. Not a trace left. I don't know if an animal took it down or what.

19-Mar-18
Quarter Ridge, Corner, Sanctuary, East End, East Rim, and Marie's Plot

19-Mar-18
Used to have one on a former property named "Sure-Shot Ridge" because somebody always got a shot there.

19-Mar-18
One of my favorite public land stands i hunt from I call "red ram" this is a super comfortable 2 man ladder, complete with burlap enclosure and Christmas tree garland. It's a great spot but hauling and setting up that big stand must have been a lot of labor for the guy who drives a red dodge ram and sets it all up. If he had his name on it, I'd send him a thank you card and some venison summer sausage

19-Mar-18

wacem's embedded Photo
wacem's embedded Photo
Poleshed; Fenceline; Horseshoe; Pond; PineTree; Willow; The poleshed is named because it is only 100 yards from my pole shed where I arrowed my biggest buck.

19-Mar-18
"Old Faithful" was a stand deep in public land. It was located on a textbook oak funnel between two swamps. I don't know how many deer were shot off that tree.

19-Mar-18
Latest was called number 13. Previous, called 12. First, called 1. I do have one I call my favorite stand. I groomed an S shaped trail that goes past my stand, and another old skidder trail that forms an X on a side hill offering me a great advantage over deer using this trail that is dead center of a large woods that is a corridor from alfalfa to bedding, then water. It's a stand I could probably see at least one deer on average per sit. I do tend to over hunt it, but it's just plain perfect.

19-Mar-18
I do have one that we call "Aint yours". I had a trespasser 2 years in a row, same guy that I caught not only trespassing but arguing that it wasn't my stand. It was a stand that I had used on bear baits up north years prior so it had my name, address, and Customer ID on it. The first time I gave him a warning, walked him out all the while he was swearing at me and telling me I had better watch my back. The next year I caught him taking the same stand and sticks down while his young son watched. He marched up to me swearing about how he was taking HIS stand down. then his mouthy kid says yeah it aint yours. I showed them both the various places my name and address were on the stand and sticks. This infuriated the father who just threw everything to the ground and stomped off leaving his kid. I walked his kid out and we had a good conversation. Never had a problem from them again. Anyway after that loong story that's how "Ain't Yours" got it's name;)

19-Mar-18
MINE are all self explanatory; Oak ridge Sandhill Swamp Field 4 corner Marsh Box Gun Pond This makes me think I need to use my imagination more. Man, I am boring

19-Mar-18
The three stands that I have for rainy weather and snow storms are named Skybox, Outhouse Blind, and Adams. All have roofs, windows and insulated. The other 8 are all ladder stands without names. All of them have GPS coordinates and I leave a note at home indicating which stand I will be in for safety reasons.

19-Mar-18
" Obsidian Saddle " NV . The only way to sneak over a wall of shale to look at a small green field at 9000 ft . I was crawling to spot to whack a Booner Lope & cut my finger wide open .

My partner & I had found a Arrowhead factory where the local tribe stumbled into a supply of Obsidian . They would setup & make Arrowheads, knives , Spearheads , & scrapers . We came back the next day & found about 40 awesome pieces . Their rejects were some of the best I ever saw .

20-Mar-18
Great thread.

Horseshoe......in a area shaped like a horseshoe Nose bleed.....20 some feet up old condo....bigger stand thats older valley condo....bigger stand in valley triple oaks.....in a group of 3 oak trees

20-Mar-18
GODS POCKET . On the ID - NV Borderline . After a tough 8000 ft climb you step into a thick lush bowl fed by a waterhole . The bowl is 100 yards wide with 2 entrances . My morman partner came up to the bowl to help me with a 185 Mulie & said , " Wow this is the kind pocket only god could make . Whacked a 197 2 years later . Missed a 220 5x5 the following year . A complete choke job .

Attacked by a wild stallion one year . Gods Pocket . I should go their 1 more time .

21-Mar-18
We have one about 50 yards from the cabin door we call the hangover stand...for obvious reasons! Grass don't grow under it anymore..

21-Mar-18
Many of my stand names are self explanatory, but some need a little background: Tall spruce, center stand, netting stand-the name my dad gave the stand near an old roll of fencing wire, spoon buck stand where I saw a big buck with spooned out points, burning bush- think biblical reference-a large bush that had a primary scrape at its base the size of a volkswagon bug; the knob, pump field, hippie stand (the guy who owned land next to it spent his first winter in northern Bayfield Co. living in a tepee. He probably wasn't a hippie, but that's what we called him! Flag yard, lone pine, and many more over the years.

• Sitka Gear