fisherick 18-Mar-18
Will 19-Mar-18
B&M Baked 19-Mar-18
Murphy31 19-Mar-18
Tbow 19-Mar-18
Dthfrmabove 19-Mar-18
xi 19-Mar-18
18-Mar-18
Did some more scouting this weekend. I found the home of what looks to be a buck. One bed, evidence of tracks in and out of the area, and plenty of fresh droppings. Even signs of urine.

But man, was he in there. This area is very wet and very thick with brush. Not even sure I can get in here without the snow holding down the branches but I am certainly going to try. I think rubber boots will be enough to get through the swamp because nothing seems to be deeper than a half a foot or so. But the entire is area is wet.

What are you guys wearing for rubber boots? Any type of rubber I should stay away from and how much insulation would you recommend so I can where this anytime?

Thanks

Pete

18-Mar-18
I started using a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots this past season and I love them. I bought the coldest they offer. Lacrosse claims they are good down to -60, that's obviously an exaggeration, but I hunted a few days in December when temps were in the single digits and my feet never got cold. And unlike my old rubber boots which were clumsy and clunky they are very soft underfoot letting you feel sticks and other noise makers that could trip you up.

18-Mar-18
Probably not what you had in mind, but a few months ago I got some “TREDS” galoshes, and love them. I think they’re 13 or 14 inches high. Two of my new spots are also in gigantic swamps, and between Jan 1 and now I’ve been through those swamps several times in these galoshes, and they’re great. Getting in and out of these spots is a nightmare, but that’s a different topic.

18-Mar-18
I have 2 sets, a pair of LL Bean non insulated 16" hunting boots. Can't say enough good things about these boots. With a pair of wool socks wore them right through November ( except on the really cold mornings

The other pair I own are the Muck Arctic Sport boots. Super warm but very rigid. With wool socks didn't have much of a problem in the coldest of days.

Found myself going to the Bean boots more because of comfort and they are super lightweight,easy to walk a ton of miles in and climb up into my stand with. No ankle support whatsoever in them though

When I was younger I could wear the cheap dicks 1000 gram insulated boots and walk with them on. As I am getting older I really like the idea of having a set of quality made, lightweight boots on the feet to walk and climb with There is a reason LL Bean was made famous by their hunting boots!!!!

Pete, I can bring them to the meet if you want to test run them going up a tree and walking around . They are pricey to buy so having a pair to try on and use for a little while would help in the decision area. I wear a size 10 shoe. If they might fit let me know and it's no problem bringing them with me

18-Mar-18
Lacrosse alph burly 800 and 1200

18-Mar-18
DTH, that would be great. I am also a 10. It would be great to go with non-insulated (or slightly), just buy them large and maybe layer in heavy socks as it gets cold. Ya, rubber boots can get mighty pricey.

18-Mar-18
Rubber boots suck. That said I own 12" LL Beans uninsulated ( 9/10), Lacrosse 800 gram (6/10) and Muck artic boots (9/10) that will work in wet conditions. I like leather boots when ever possible. That area may require hip boots.

19-Mar-18
I have enjoyed Muck Woody Max the past maybe 6-7 years. Probably have to update this year... got a few holes in the neoprene last year - a few from sticks working through nasty stuff, and 2, embarrassingly while pulling out my buck last year - stuck myself with the antlers a few times!

19-Mar-18
X2 on muck boots !!!!!!!

19-Mar-18
I have muck woody max. They have held up well. I've also hunted in muck wetlands boot. Muck makes a good boot.

19-Mar-18
Agree with the muck. Neoprene keeps feet warm and tread kicks it in ma swamps to vt hills

19-Mar-18
Pete. Will do. I think you will be amazed at the difference in comfort and weight once you put these on.

19-Mar-18
Muck boot Wetlands for all my upland and early bow hunting. Wool socks and Cabelas whitetail extremes when it's cold, and yes I sprinkle black pepper in them for natural toe warmers.

• Sitka Gear