Proline 21-Mar-18
Will 21-Mar-18
Moons22 21-Mar-18
stillhunter 22-Mar-18
spike78 22-Mar-18
bigwoodsbucks22 22-Mar-18
Jebediah 22-Mar-18
21-Mar-18
Do any of you guys hunt water holes? I have never really payed much attention to water. Occasionally I hunt around ponds, but only because they created a natural pinch point or something like that. I know from scouting that water is important for antler growth, and lactating does, but come November, I don’t see water activity. The reason I ask is I have a friend that does well at water holes. I’m wondering if it really matters. Could I kill “my” buck at the water at 6:30 or kill him on his rubline at 7:30 ? Thanks in advance for your observations.

21-Mar-18
i would say out west yes most of my spots water is about every 30 yrd

21-Mar-18
I don't. I have tried them many times but don't bother anymore. Deer need very little water from watering holes because they get most of what they need out of the vegetation they eat. The only time I would try them would be during a heat spell but you wouldn't find me hunting the heat.....

21-Mar-18
I dont intentionally do it. Mostly because water is pretty common in New England. That said, I do actively seek out streams/brooks, beaver ponds, swamps, etc. They are all great features to force deer movement.

21-Mar-18
I hunted over the only mud hole left in the area after a very dry august during the first week of archery in Nh. The one and only deer I saw hunting there was extremely cautious and never committed to the water even though I could tell it wanted to. May have smelt me I'm not sure. But I would focus on hunting food over water

22-Mar-18
I Always hunt water. Most research says deer drink atleast three times a day. With the exception of water pooling on the ground or in the leaves of vegetation after rain, i feel water holes, swamps, Streams or especially deeper rivers with shallow historic crossings are the most consistant sign I Sit on, especially when I understand how it relates to bedding. Food source locations are constantly changing, rivers and ponds arnt going anywere. I use wadders and kayak for scent free access as much as possible.

22-Mar-18
Whenever I take my pup out pheasant hunting I bring her a water bottle but I never seem to need it as she always finds water wherever we go. X2 what Will said.

22-Mar-18
depends on the year and weather. 2 years ago we had a super drought in NH (which opens sept 15th). It as hot and there was no water anywhere. All the deer we saw were at watering holes. Everyone should have a watering hole in their back pocket for when the conditions are right for it.

22-Mar-18
Can you imagine in October if your water hole spot was also a fishing spot? Life would be complete.

• Sitka Gear