Tekoa 29-Mar-18
jdrdeerslayer 06-Apr-18
jdrdeerslayer 06-Apr-18
Moons22 06-Apr-18
Doc 06-Apr-18
Jebediah 06-Apr-18
jdrdeerslayer 07-Apr-18
22-Mar-18
Well Incommitted to an out of state hunt this year. It's been 3 years since my last hunt on the road. I am looking at either NY or DE. I am looking at DE really hard but have two counties narrowed down already for NY.

Anyone have any recent input to help me out on either

22-Mar-18
leaving in 2 weeks for n.c boar hunt. taking rifle tho....as I want want pork to mix with my venison

22-Mar-18
I recently posted info about some watershed land in NY in the Catskills. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it. Good deer hunting in that area but you would need to take care of logistics. No guide but you wouldn't need one there. Good luck.

22-Mar-18
BC saw that and that is what got me started on this quest to go out of state again. We have set our sights on 2 different zones in NY. We are currently trying to narrow down two different zones in DE now. Was just hoping for the holy grail of " I hunted in this zone and it was great". Hahaha

Time is tight with 3 kids at home and a business to run. Trying to maximize my time in the right zones for hunting

22-Mar-18
I hunt out of state, but not in Ny or De. I do have a close friend from work that hunts state land in Madison county Ny. They killed a bunch deer last year, and they had some cam pics of some stud bucks. There's state land all over, and every one they've looked at has been legit. He was giving me the old this it I'm waiting for one of those big boys. He shot the the first basket rack that walked by like I predicted though. What zones in Ny are looking at?

23-Mar-18
Murphy.

Looking at Steuben county and Washington county in NY.

Looking at zones 7-14-16 for DE

23-Mar-18
Zone 7h... Cayuga county... loaded with deer.

23-Mar-18
Ungie. How is the public land access out there. Is it WMA and state forest or private.

23-Mar-18
CT for me again, maybe NH. So no "fancy trips". If you go to NY, you have to bone out or process the deer prior to bringing it home correct? Due to CWD?

23-Mar-18
Correct on NY Will

Must bone out there.

23-Mar-18
Not a problem on that we will be there for 7 days. I will bring the grinder and food saver and we process our own deer or we donate to a food bank for the needy. We usually book a place on air bnb with seclusion so we can do that. Buddy I go with says this. I am old enough now I don't want to stay in a motel or shack!!! I totally agree it's usually a pretty nice place with all the amenities and comfort of home

23-Mar-18
The butcher I use was telling me about Delaware. He has family I believe down there. CRAZY deer numbers. And if I remember correctly he was saying that there was good access and hunter friendly campgrounds. Definitely something to look into.

23-Mar-18
I have a couple good friends that I help out with surfcasting reports up here. They live in Delaware and put me into a couple areas. I am waiting to hear back from them about private farms. They have some friends that are old timers down there who own farms!!!! Fingers crossed. It not depending on it. Still putting a big effort into finding out areas through here for other options then we will do the recon and legwork to pinpoint exact locations

23-Mar-18
I've been going to Steuben County in NY for the past 4 years. TONS of deer out there. You wont see many bucks over 2.5 years old unless you are on a somewhat managed property though.

23-Mar-18
Bigwiods thanks for the info. That helps greatly!!!!

23-Mar-18
check the regs for any out of state hunt now....most states have dropped the CWD rules but MA hasn't. NY doesn't care if you bring their deer anywhere in the country...It's MA that still has the law...Check with Delaware too...it might be on the MA list for not being able to transport into MA....

23-Mar-18
Hopefully CT if I get the time. With NY its pretty much throw a dart at the map deer everywhere. I see more deer driving through NY in one day at noon time then MA all year long.

23-Mar-18
Doesn’t J Bennet do NY with a lot of success? I thought I used to see him post a lot of turkey in upstate NY but haven’t seen a post from him here this deer season. Looks like he’s always had good luck in NY with gobblers.

23-Mar-18
Most I see on 90 are right around the fringes of Albany, and past Buffalo. Drove 88 back from Vestal Ny the second week of November, and only saw a few deer. This at like 8 in morning. Would stay away from those areas of Ny.

23-Mar-18
I hunted Yates county zone 8. Probably the highest deer population in NY.

23-Mar-18

Jimbo's embedded Photo
Jimbo's embedded Photo
I hunt PA on the border directly under Steuben County, NY... there are a lot of deer in that area. On top of the highest mountain where I hunt, you can see for miles in NY. All you see are agriculture fields, hollows and hardwoods... amazing deer habitat.

23-Mar-18
Jimbo, the property I hunt in Steuben County borders PA, that's ironic. We hunt one spot in Rexville and another spot in Troupsberg. Those anywhere near you?

DTH... if you want more info feel free to PM me. I have spent a lot of days out there between those (2) 100 acre spots in those 2 different towns. I can shed some more light for you.

23-Mar-18
bigwoods, when you're hunting in Troupsburg, I can probably see you from the top of a mountain in Tioga County, PA. LOL Seriously, we're only about 8 miles from Troupsburg.

23-Mar-18
Thanks bigwoods PM on the way tonight. I really appreciate the help!!!

23-Mar-18
Jimbo that's awesome! What a beautiful landscape out there. Some MONSTER bears too. Those amish guys in PA pull some out over 600 lbs every year.

23-Mar-18
Lucky enough to get to KS and hunt in Flint Hills area . Some of nicest people in world together with deer the likes of which you just couldn't believe. Will be going every year as long as I am able.

23-Mar-18
I have heard that in Tompkins County (NY) they have reduced the setback to try to reduce deer numbers. I think in order to be motivated to reduce the setback, they must genuinely have high deer densities. Probably not 80 per square mile like here, but still probably a lot.

23-Mar-18
bigwoods, they have enormous bears there. A few years ago, a guy killed an 746 pound bear in that part of PA. It must've looked like a black Volkswagon coming through the woods. LOL

23-Mar-18
Tompkins county killed 6.5 deer psm, so I wouldn't think there's a big population problem. Most of the counties in Western Ny are over 10 deer killed psm. The County that spike mentioned killed 13.9 deer psm.

24-Mar-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove my camp is in Steuben county. I’ve hunted there for 20 yrs. Lots of public ground. Not as many big boys as there used to be but we see a few every yr. I missed a huge 8 with a rifle in a wide open field at 65 yds. Don’t know how. I would definitely consider going there. PM me if you want further details. Here’s a bow kill from 2 seasons ago

24-Mar-18
Uummmm. Does the farmer know you shot one of his steers !!!! That's a great buck PM on the way. Thanks

27-Mar-18

27-Mar-18
Jimbo I have hunted Tioga and Potter County in PA. great area beautiful big bear and good bow hunting for deer would like to go back some day

28-Mar-18
I'm jealous, there's a lot of deer in NY. I have family down on LI still, no one hunts but I always wondered if it was worth the trip.

Aside from RI, I'm heading back to Wyoming this year. Couple of Speed Goats and Mulie would be nice again!

29-Mar-18
BigBuck, what towns did you hunt in?

29-Mar-18
MRW

Have a friend from LI. He pretty much filled the freezer at will. Some nice non typicals too. But unless you are wired into locals getting a hunting spot is super tough. Plus tons of competition. Probably worse than you eastern guys experience

Tekoa

06-Apr-18

jdrdeerslayer's embedded Photo
im in north carolina now , last night 3 out of 4 of us took hogs. i got this one( sorry no bow). back in stand now looking for more pork chops

06-Apr-18

my view, i here its snow back home....78° here , in shorts in blind with the evil black gun

06-Apr-18
Nice pig looks like fun!

06-Apr-18
Hunting again in Flint Hills, Kansas. Have been hunting there for 15 years.Pressure has increased there dramatically thanks to TV shows. Number of trophy deer 140 plus has fallen off dramatically. Public land very crowded. So beware of the tv shows. If I experience the same conditions this year I will explore other states.

06-Apr-18
Nice one! I saw a Texas A&M study that said there’s a meaningful population of them in Vermont and NH (!), and I think it said in about 40 years hogs will be spread throughout the entire country.

07-Apr-18

got another last night, i was the onky one that stayed out( i had my nv set up with me) took this 100lbr 1 shot right behind the ear

• Sitka Gear