Babysaph 29-Mar-18
wvbownut 01-Apr-18
David Mitchell 01-Apr-18
Jim Casto Jr 01-Apr-18
Little Bear 02-Apr-18
David Mitchell 10-Apr-18
Little Bear 14-Apr-18
24-Mar-18
I received word today from Jim Casto who had been in touch with Sharon Paxton that our very good friend and fellow WVBA member Tom Paxton passed away this morning. Tom was as fine a person as you would ever want to meet. It was my privilege, as it was with many others on this site, to go on many hunts with Tom over the years as well as to enjoy shoots with him. He was always pleasant and smiling, warm and friendly. He will be greatly missed. Prayers would be appreciated for his wife Sharon and their sons. He had been in University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for quite some time where he underwent surgery for esophageal cancer.

24-Mar-18
I’m so sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family

24-Mar-18
Prayers going up!

24-Mar-18
My condolences to his wife and children.

25-Mar-18
Mr Paxton was one of the most pleasant men to be around , yes he will be missed . God bless him and his family.

25-Mar-18
Prayers for him and his family...

25-Mar-18
Prayers for the family !

25-Mar-18

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
A dear friend and fine a man as I have ever known. By God's grace, may Sharon and the boys be filled with peace, comfort and understanding.

25-Mar-18
I hate that. Tom was always a friendly face that was a pleasure to talk too .He was one of those people that you are glad to have known.

Prayers for his family

25-Mar-18
Man that is sad to hear. No better guy than him. Prayers to his wife and family.

25-Mar-18
A great loss to everyone for sure. God bless his family. Rest in peace Tom.

25-Mar-18
I hate to hear this about Tom. Tom was as fine of a man as you would ever hope to meet. Prayers for his family.

25-Mar-18
You will learn a lot about a man when you share a hunting camp with him. Tom Paxton.....one of the finest. God has blessed all who knew him.

26-Mar-18
Our loss and Heaven's gain. There were none better than Tom. Prayers for the family.

26-Mar-18
What are the Funeral arraingements ?? Thanks

26-Mar-18
Double post :o( Sorry.

26-Mar-18
Ron, I thought I would let Jim post arrangements for Tom's service as he is handling the arrangements. I had a visit with Sharon and the boys today and told her about the kind comments you guys have been posting here and she was very pleased.

26-Mar-18
Thomas Eugene Paxton, 79, of Cross Lanes, WV, formerly of Ripley, passed away March 24, 2018, in the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center following a brief illness.

He was born April 13, 1938, in Belle, WV, the son of the late William E. and Flossie Lee (Baier) Paxton. In addition to his parents, his brothers Denver Paxton and Melvin Paxton also preceded him in death.

Tom was a 1961 graduate of DuPont High School, a United States Air Force veteran, a retired supervisor for Century Aluminum, Ravenswood, WV, with 41 years of service and served for 15 years with the West Virginia legislative staff. He was a former member of the Ripley Rotary, a longstanding member of the West Virginia Bowhunters Association, the Elk River Bowhunters Association and the National Rifle Association. Tom was a member and Elder of the Nitro First Presbyterian Church. He was very active as the head usher, unofficial greeter, and loved cooking with the kitchen crew or manning the church barbeque grill. In addition to family and close friends, he was loved and respected by many and…HE KNEW HE WAS LOVED!

He was an avid outdoorsman and enjoyed hunting, shooting and fishing. He reloaded his own ammunition and handcrafted his wooden arrows. He especially enjoyed attending traditional archery events and hunting and competing with his longbows and recurve bows. He traveled to several states and Canadian provinces hunting and attending traditional rendezvous.

Survivors include his high school sweetheart and wife of 56 years, Sharon Burgess Paxton; sons Jeff Paxton and his wife Cindy of Ripley, Jim Paxton and his wife RaDawn of Huntington, and Brad Paxton of Cross Lanes; grandchildren, Ricky (Jordann), Rachel, Cason and Landri (the twins), and great granddaughter, Sophia.

Service, followed by military honors, will be 2 p.m. Saturday, April 14, 2018, at the Nitro First Presbyterian Church, with the Reverends David Lee and Jim Walther, and Jean Summerfield, ALP. Tom will be placed at rest in the Donel C. Kinnard Memorial State Veterans Cemetery, Dunbar, WV. The family will receive guests from 12 noon until time of service at the church.

Memories and condolences may be shared with the family at: castofuneralhome.com

26-Mar-18
I had the privilege of knowing Tom and going on a caribou hunt with him once. What a great guy and great memories of him. Thoughts and prayers go out for his family.

28-Mar-18
I'm so sorry to hear this. Tom was a very fine gentleman who we'll all miss. Damn cancer. Prayers that God grant peace and comfort to his family, friends, and all that knew him. God Bless

'

28-Mar-18
Funny story to bring life back into this sad time! Me and Tom was in charge of driving a 12 passenger van full of bowhunters heading north to hunt caribou. We was the responsible adults in charge for our shift of a 29 hour drive. It's late at night, Tom and me are talking trying our best to stay alert during the drive. All of the sudden a BIG MOTH hits the wind shield and splatters clear across the wind shield. I look at him, he looks at me and he says immediately " I bet he doesn't have guts enough to do that again" That's the Tom I will always remember as we bust a gut laughing together! Rest in piece Tom! It was a easy drive for the rest of our shift! God bless you on your final shift Tom! I will miss you!

28-Mar-18
Several years ago Tom, Dr. Don Teter, Will McQueen and I went to Newfoundland on a moose hunt. It was the second trip for both Tom and me. Tom was the appointed navigator. We didn't have a map and there was no Garmen's or TomTom's at the time. Dr. Don asked Tom, "How in the world are we going to get there without a map?" Tom said, "Maps?! We don't need any maps. All we have to do is go northeast until we get to Maine, turn right and keep going east. That'll take us right to the ferry."

29-Mar-18

David Mitchell's embedded Photo
David Mitchell's embedded Photo
Several years ago Tom, Roger Lemarier, my son Matt and I went on an elk hunt in Colorado and used an outfitter to take us in on horses to a base camp. The outfitter and cook were in camp but we hunted on our own. The very first night out, Roger and Tom got turned around coming back to camp and went down a wrong trail. The outfitter was getting real worried about them. I told him that Roger was equipped for them to stay out and he had said not to worry about them if that happened. Well, the guy just had to go look for them since he was our outfitter and felt responsible for us. He found them about 20 minutes from camp--all bedded down for the night on ponchos they had, fire going, and Tom was already fast asleep. He could go to sleep in the middle of telling you something. He was one of a kind and I already miss him. This was our camp.

29-Mar-18
Great stories. Life is short

01-Apr-18
He always had a smile on his face. God gained a great man in Tom.

01-Apr-18
Tom, that is no doubt what all of us who knew Tom remember about him--"He always had a smile on his face."

01-Apr-18
I don't know how many times, on hunting trips or going to shoots, I'd ask Tom if he wanted to stop here, there, or eat here or there. The answer was always the same, "What ever you (or you guys) want to do is fine with me. I'm just glad to be here."

Lord help us, that we could all be like Tom.

02-Apr-18
I worked with Tom's wife Sharon years ago, I was probably 19. When she found out I was a bowhunter and hunted at Frozen Camp she invited me and my buddy to sleep in their basement instead of tent camping. Tom showed us his Savage River recurve and other "toys". That's when the traditional bug bit me and made an instant friend. Was honored to get to pig hunt with Tom, Dave and Don Teter as my first out-of-state adventure. Good times for sure! Tom is certainly missed already!

10-Apr-18
I hope all who knew and loved Tom will keep his family in your prayers Saturday during the memorial service.

14-Apr-18
What a beautiful service held today to remember Tom. Although he didn't want a service, I think he would have approved with his chuckle and smile. He will be missed but joyful for the promise to see him again someday.

• Sitka Gear