Wapiti Chaser 28-Mar-18
Silverback 28-Mar-18
Dthfrmabove 30-Mar-18
Mad dog 01-Apr-18
Dthfrmabove 02-Apr-18
Arrowone 04-Apr-18
Mad dog 05-Apr-18
26-Mar-18
Alright guys I am putting this out there for all to help and for those to hate. I am planning to get back on the road for a hunting trip this year and want to head to Steuben county for the opener of bow season. I am planning on hitting state land so far. In particular Birdseye hollow or others if kindly suggested.

I was wondering if it is a good public land area to hunt? My expectations are to see deer and hopefully a decent basket rack to show up. I am a seasoned hunter and know with time limitations and lack of knowledge this is what I can expect. I hope my time will be spent watching does and yearlings and some bucks if I do my scouting right.

Now I do have something to trade in the knowledge department. I am not just on here trolling. I live on cape cod mass and for those of you that do any type of surf fishing. " cape cod canal " or the south side beaches. I would gladly share any and all the info I have attained in a decade of fishing down here. I hope that all your fellow NYers I helped the past couple years down the canal will give me good karma !!!

Please feel free to PM to avoid the pitchforks and torches from people. Thanks in advance for any advice I may get from you !!!!

27-Mar-18
I live in Hornell,Steuben county. I've never hunted Birdseye Hollow so I can't help you there. I can however show you about 50,000 acres about 15 miles from hornell just over the Allegany county border. I am willing to take you all around that land and let you decide where you like. There is also motels in Hornell or I can show you places to camp on state land. Not trying to talk you out of Birdseye Hollow,I'm just offering options.

28-Mar-18
Silverback that is greatly appreciated. I am not set on Birdseye hollow it is just a possible starting point of where we might go. Not looking for any of the " special " places, I know what it feels like to have my set ruined by someone new and not from the area. I want to be out of everyone's way and like to do the grunt work myself. Just a starting point of reference is all that is needed. Do you ever come out this way to fish for stripers or blues ?

28-Mar-18
My camp is less than 10 minutes from Birdseye Hollow and we fish there and cousin runs a trap line through there. Early season if you can get in some white oaks you will see the deer you’re looking for . If it were me I would wait until late October or early November ....

28-Mar-18
The state land I was going to show you is lightly hunted in bow season but many more hunters in gun season. The deer are there but it is a big woods and you will have to use your woodsmans skills to get one. Let me know if I can be of any help.

30-Mar-18
Wapiti chaser.... wish I could wait till late oct but it is not in the cards this year. Thanks for the heads up on the acorns. It seems like the hunting there is like in the SE area of Ohio we hunted. Find the acorns and find the deer. I have some really good spots here in mass for the rut and would like to get in a little hunting earlier than it opens in MA. The deer aren't as good here but sufficient for my needs.

Silverback ... I have no problem hunting big woods a couple of the parcels I hunt here are over 2500 acres and I grew up hunting 3,000 plus acre parcels. Thanks for the help!!!

01-Apr-18
Wow. That sounds good. I spent all my summers growing up on Lake Keuka which is in Yates & Steuben CO's. Great farmland, lots of nice Deer. Look in to Montezuma Wildlife Refuge. Mad dog

02-Apr-18
Thanks mad dog I will !!!

04-Apr-18
I’ve seen some slammers taken out of Steuben County. Good choice for a trip.

05-Apr-18
I'm sorry I think that's just a refuge but Maybe public hunting lands abut it. I'll be staying on the Lake in July, I'll like around for you. Mad Dog

• Sitka Gear