Belchertown Bowman 29-Mar-18
awalk228 29-Mar-18
xi 30-Mar-18
29-Mar-18

awalk228's embedded Photo
I love to scout for turkeys preseason but when I do I bring a little 4 foot ugly stick with a super small Mitchell reel and 4 pound test and some Mepps spinners. Which mean I usually fish more then scout haha. I got into some rainbow trout yesterday, made me realize how much I missed fishing over the winter. Anybody else find themselves fishing more then scouting when attempting to scout?

29-Mar-18
I find myself fishing when I should be doing a dozen other things very often, haha! And nice rainbow!

29-Mar-18
Nice Bow's!

I tend to scout more when I ride my mountain bike than fish... though I do scout some while fishing. So much fun to catch fish, and MDFW does a heck of a job with those stockers growing big fish too. We are fortunate to have awesome little wild trout streams "off the grid" and lots of well stocked "farm trout" waters to fish as well.

29-Mar-18
Beautiful colors on the trout. Have they started stocking yet or a hold over?

Question to those who eat em. Do you think the taste of stocked fish has changed in the past two years. I used to enjoy eating stockers. I thought the past two years they tasted lousy. Very oily.

Thanks Tekoa

29-Mar-18
Tekoa personally I will let the stockeys go but the hold overs are always good eating once they start eating natural food and the meat changes to pink

29-Mar-18
I used to flyfish all the time. I went to school at Anna Maria in Paxton, mostly commuted but lived up there one year. I would bring the fish to my dorm and cook them in the community kitchen. Man, the looks I would get. That pic really makes me miss fishing the brooks here in central mass. I have not done it for at least twenty years. I was just looking at all my old fly tying stuff the other day. Time, I need more time. Gotta quit working.

29-Mar-18
Tekoa I'm actually not sure if they were hold overs or just stocked recently. But every year around this time they are in the same spot. I wish I could help on the eating part but I only eat salt water fish except for the occasional smoked brookie

29-Mar-18
Awal,.. Beautiful gift of nature,.. enjoy and protect the future of that, or else it will go away.

29-Mar-18
Very true BB. I always catch and release unless I know I'm going to eat it. These guys were released to fight another day

30-Mar-18
YoungBuck, that's funny, we think the opposite on the color of the meat. Stockies are Orange meat and holdovers are white. Everything we caught thru the ice was white for the trout meat. I had an interesting talk with a biologist at the McLaughlin hatchery a while back. Told me the meat is Orange due to the Carotine in the feed so it looks appealing like Salmon, also sad that all the stocked trout are sterile so they grow so big in 1 yr to be stocked every spring. He compared it to neutering a bull for slaughtering. Anyways, we are lucky enough to have the fishery we due in this state. Nice fish Awalk.

• Sitka Gear