gobbler 07-Apr-18
babysaph 07-Apr-18
Babysaph 13-Apr-18
hoppies56 14-Apr-18
babysaph 14-Apr-18
BullSac 15-Apr-18
hoppies56 15-Apr-18
30-Mar-18
Over the past few years I haven’t been seeing as many turkeys - not many besides myself hunt for turkeys here. Normally by this time seeing quite a few strutting in the pasture but haven’t seen any this year as of yet. Three years ago during the the Fall had a group of 8 longbeards - all were huge last year it was down to 4 and by last Fall it was down to 3 and onr was limping. The same area where these birds always roost I have been seeing 1 about once a week where in previous year I would see them almost every morning. Last Fall I had about 4 different flocks of Hens and Jake with anywhere from a dozen in one group and almost 30 in another group running around - have not seen any of the flocks this Spring so far. Question is would coyotes possibly be favoring turkeys over deer and either killing the turkey or the turkey maybe are moving out for bit? Not seeing much of a change in the deer population right now still a bunch running around. I am not a coyote expert by any means - have not heard many howling around here as I have in the past. So wondering what is up with the turkeys. Several years ago I think I posted on here how it seemed like the squirrel population just went from tons to not seeing a single squirrel for several years and now there are boatloads of them again. Just curious as to your all’s thoughts on this?

30-Mar-18
Lots of turkey where I am located. Maybe I have all the turkeys and you have all of the giant mature bucks. LOL. JUST KIDDING. Probably just regional population swing. A few years back my area seemed to have a much lower population than we have now.

30-Mar-18
Probably time to go to a 1 Gobbler limit with beard restrictions

30-Mar-18
Lots of things one can do. Habitat improvements to make your land more conducive for turkeys. Walk farther and hunt harder. Can't just sit on the couch and expect a turkey.

30-Mar-18
Coons and possums probably take more of a toll on turkey populations than coyotes. Nest robbing is probably the number one issue for lack of turkey recruitment.

Jayd, Did you have cicadas two years ago? We didn't but had them very near. It helped turkey populations throughout much of WV.

30-Mar-18
Sunday - agree with ya on the coons, possum and skunks and there are a ton here - but I was already seeing poults that were good size - probably saw them right up to bow season last Fall. Watching the one group of gobblers keep decreasing has me wondering and then seeing the one old boy limping last year - has me thinking either coyote or fox. We have some bobcats but not many. We have some horses and the turkey normally hit our pasture like crazy going thru the manure and getting the grain and oats but except for the one old bird I see occasionally- just not seeing any. It’s a little strange. Gobbler - a 1 gobbler limit? Thought you were more in favor of two? LOL jk sorry to have pissed you off before - I still like ya man! I know you and Sunday may not believe it but I do like ya guys just don’t agree with ya sometimes - even if you are DB’s at time! LOL jk!

30-Mar-18
Rutbuster - I know what you mean probably just some type of cycle or something - just strange though with the turkey habitat here.

30-Mar-18
LOL Sunday heck with that walking stuff - time to get my mountain bike ready for the National Forrest! Oh and not really much on the cicadas here but believe me food is plentiful. Neighbor did do some timbering and hinge cutting but didn’t seem to affect them much for the 2 next years. It’s just strange seeing them and then it was like someone turn the switch off there last Fall.

It’s been a few years since I hit the NF in the Spring so looks like I will this year! May carry the shotgun though instead of the recurve! LOL

30-Mar-18
I heard you were in one of the areas where the DNR trapped them and sent then out west in exchange for all the rattlesnakes they dropped in the smoke hole area where I hunt.

30-Mar-18
Darn - I thought all that rattling I was hearing was from the neighbors new baby just playing! ??

30-Mar-18

Jim Casto Jr's embedded Photo
The neighbors free-roaming dogs went missing and there are some showing back up here. These were in the foodplot behind the house this evening.

30-Mar-18

This old guy came right down by the house. He wasn't welcome with the flock. Apparently, he's had his butt kicked.

30-Mar-18
Looks to me like he's walking around a little dazed,I think I see a dimple in the side of his head...LOL.

30-Mar-18
You rascal... you remembered, huh? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's him. We've got a score to settle. I owe him one. :^)

31-Mar-18
More turkeys here in mason co than i have seen and heard in years, the birds you saw last fall are more than likely still around somewhere. More boot time and some early mornings spend listening and you will find the birds you seek.

31-Mar-18
Nice pics Jimmy. They are on fire here now. Now is the time to kill em.

31-Mar-18
I saw some beside the house last week. The good ole boys are already after them

31-Mar-18
Well, report them JR

31-Mar-18
Seen 3 toms strutting this week. They were following several hens. Not as many here as in the past. The young poults are pretty much defenseless until they can fly.

31-Mar-18
I saw a flock of about 50 across the road in the rain at 5:00 on the 29th. there was 7 strutting

31-Mar-18
Hoppies56 you are seeing things. No turkeys here in Mason county. Lol

01-Apr-18
I did. Does no good.

02-Apr-18
No one hunts or traps the nest robbers like they used too. With federal protection of hawks and birds of prey, versus people shooting them due to them preying on chickens and such, every where a turkey goes now is somewhere that lives something that eats turkeys.

As wet as last spring was here, I'm sure the hatch was low. Springs have been wet for a decade. Mid May through Mid June needs to be pretty dry and, warm when wet, if hatches are to be good. Add in the predator factor and, you aren't going to see booming numbers of them like we used too.

03-Apr-18
I’m expecting a good year. We took 3 longbeards last year and there were still several around after we quit hunting. My wife only takes one a year. We saw more jakes last year than I’ve ever seen since we’ve had the farm

06-Apr-18

Ron Miller's embedded Photo

06-Apr-18

07-Apr-18
Looks like Ron is expecting a good year too

07-Apr-18
They are ready.

13-Apr-18
Saw a nest today.

14-Apr-18
If it means anything, DNR is predicting a strong year.

14-Apr-18
That is good

15-Apr-18
Was out and about in Mason county this morning and saw dozens upon dozens of turkeys. I must have saw about 25 different gobblers in full strut. Route 87 / Leon Baden area. By far the most I’ve ever seen in one day. I’m excited for tomorrow morning!

15-Apr-18
Made a trip also around mason co - Sandhill road back thur Mcclintic WMA , Gobblers sturtin everywhere . Mason co will be a top 5 county again this year.

• Sitka Gear