Belchertown Bowman 06-Apr-18
Deerdawg 06-Apr-18
Will 06-Apr-18
Deerdawg 06-Apr-18
badjuju 07-Apr-18
Sosso 07-Apr-18
03-Apr-18

Will's Link
http://www.telegram.com/news/20180402/talk-of-quabbin-access-restrictions-meets-resistance-from-hunters-anglers

Sounds like it's TRUE they are pondering change. But it seems like change for no real purpose which is odd. The article doesn't make it clear which points were addressed, any one go or hear about it from someone who did?

03-Apr-18
I contacted our local paper to flag this news as it is particularly important to towns that surround the Quabbin,.. and a great article for our local paper The Sentinel.

Shhh,.. quietly stirring the pot,..

[email protected]

PS there is our contact at the local paper if you wish to share you views,.. a couple more folks writing her would be helpful,.. flood her inbox !!!!

I never said that,.. LOL

03-Apr-18
Channel 22 has it also, wwlp.com

03-Apr-18
Points to Xi,.. "Fellow Conspirator"!!!!!

:)

03-Apr-18
Well Played Fellas!

03-Apr-18
I'm really glad to hear that hunters and anglers showed up!

03-Apr-18
Go to masslive.com, seems all plans are on hold for now.

04-Apr-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Hard to find,.. in case you want a link to Xi's on masslive here it is.

04-Apr-18
Thanks !!!!!! Maanglers.com has it also, the were heavily represented by the 2 Quabbin angler groups, there will be no hunting restrictions west of 202 according to thier article.

04-Apr-18
At the risk of sounding bad... That means like 80% of the land will have restrictions. That might be an overshoot, but when you look at a watershed map, there is WAY more DCR owned land EAST of there - IE, along 122, 32A etc...

Looking at the article, maybe I'm not reading it well, but it looks like it says that they will reopen a period for public comment but that the director supported the (updated) plan.

I'm going to stay optimistic and try to not get to grumpy, but this looks like another DCR working to take away access which has been in place for decades scenario.

It kills me - especially given I am very PRO environment - when agencies tasked with protecting the environment limit or remove public access. I'm convinced, that if you let folks enjoy protected land, they will love that space, and will go to the grave swinging to protect it. If you limit everything in the name of protectionism, especially if you take access away with no good reason, you do the opposite. Frustrating.

04-Apr-18
Will, the way I read it it's still wide open to hunt, no restrictions as in none, still open.

05-Apr-18
will is a mountain bike nut.....he will loose that

05-Apr-18
J - technically we already have. Rutland for example we (and others before me) rode there from the late 80's - when the trails were already well established. DCR officers would chat with us as we got kitted up and ready to ride from a lot almost in front of their office. "Have a nice ride" would be a common way they would send us off.

3-4 years ago they suddenly decided (with no change in water quality) that we are done. So we can ride 1 rail trail and dirt roads, but no trails any more. They have pulled them from horses as well.

In town, on DCR, for decades we've ridden trails which have been in place for decades (even before we rode them). Historically this has not been an issue with any rangers we've encountered. That may be changing and yep, that would stink.

So yeah, for me, this is a double dip. DCR (who's OWN research on their watershed land shows mountain biking has no more impact than hiking) could clip cycling and hunting for turkeys, bears, coyotes, etc on their parcels.

Can they do that - technically it appears so.

Would it suck. Hugely.

06-Apr-18
if the clip mountain bikers and horses ...hikers are next. honestly of all the above horses do the most damage probally more so than even a atv. there hooves dig deep every step and the are crapping machines lol

06-Apr-18
Having been thoroughly sprayed by horse poop while riding (dont see it, gets in tire, fly's up all over your face), I agree J. On all fronts. They do really rip up trails.

That said, with the volume of hiking, horse, bike etc action DCR lands see, summed over 10 year chunks, it's probably 1/1000'th the damage caused by any single logging operation they do.

06-Apr-18

badjuju's Link
heard from my friend in the DCR that the Commissioner who backed the proposal pulled it after being confronted by "an angry mob" at a public hearing so no changes is what I heard.

did any of you hear about the fire?

06-Apr-18
Sure hope that's the case...

Had not heard about the fire. That's bad to hear. hopefully all involved are safe and sound!

06-Apr-18
Angry Mob,.. Fire,..

Hhmmm?

Naw,..

06-Apr-18
WOW! I didn't think New Salem had any buildings that big in it! 14 towns called in? And it was a total loss.

06-Apr-18
Deer dawg... When most of the towns have 1 truck and 5 volunteer fire fighters ;)...

06-Apr-18
Will, I don't think they have any Hydrants. Out in them there parts. Besides all the Quabbin water goes to Boston!

07-Apr-18
friend said the building also had a garage attached with a lot of gear in it.

Yeah Will a 2 alarm fire in New Salem would pull trucks and volunteers from several surrounding towns.

BB, don't be surprised.......angry mob, fire, hmmmmm....... although they were first to think it may just be an accident; old bldg + spark

07-Apr-18
If the building is anything like the one in Boylston then it’s heated by a wood burning stove darned near dead center of the building.

I’m glad the guy reversed it, he was planning an absurd dick move and was called on it!

• Sitka Gear