GMU 62
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
btb 03-Apr-18
btb 18-Apr-18
altitude sick 29-Apr-18
btb 03-May-18
03-Apr-18
I know it is overcrowded but I would like some recent information on the elk herd. I am not looking for a trophy bull, a fat cow will do fine. It would be nice to hear first hand from someone that hunted it last year. Thanks

18-Apr-18
ttt

29-Apr-18
Like everyone says, often, once everyone starts moving the campers into divide road and are out on every trail with UTVs, most of the elk move down into the toughest draws. And east out into the BLM and dry looking areas people drive through because it doesn’t look like elk country. Look for the largest area with no trails or roads east of the NF. It looks more like desert sheep country. Also we have killed a few elk closer to divide road in little pockets everyone rides past. But they sneak around like cats, not talking at all. But the bulls down in the bottom of the roughest canyons will still talk a little. Also everyone knows the elk are down there so u will not be alone. We have fought our way miles back in only to find 3 spike camps in the same canyon. There are some big bulls in there though. It’s more effective to silently stalk along slowly glassing ahead looking for them. Trying to find them in their beds out in front of you under 100 yds.

03-May-18
Thanks, good info.

• Sitka Gear