spike78 05-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 05-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 05-Apr-18
nehunter 05-Apr-18
bigbuckbob 05-Apr-18
Eric Vaillancourt 05-Apr-18
Oneeye 06-Apr-18
04-Apr-18
I just moved to Litchfield County and would like to put some food plots on my property. It was logged about 10 years ago. My intent would be to plant several sections of the established logging roads.

Any suggestions on what to plant and when to start?

04-Apr-18

Ace's Link
Do a soil test first, without that you're just guessing. If your PH is low (likely) you'll need to add lime to grow much of anything. The type of soil, equipment available and amount of sunlight (and moisture) will suggest certain plantings over others. A good perennial clover mix is usually what most people start with. It's usually a lot more work, and harder than people expect to get a good plot established.

Lots of good info in some old threads on the Food Plot Forum (link).

05-Apr-18
Test your soil before deciding anything. I have areas that tested 4.8 and essentially devoid of phosphorus. Limentakes months to work and phosphorus is almost immovable in soil. After planting a plot. You can decide after test. UConn offers for about $10. From there it's all about how involved you want to get.

05-Apr-18
If you need lime I have alot of it for free. You just need to pick it up in MA.

05-Apr-18
spike - you live on top of lime mound or something? Never heard of anyone having lots of lime.

05-Apr-18
If you need some organic fertilizer I suggest you print all of Doc's posts on this site and place the paper around the base of the plant, that should result in outstanding results.

05-Apr-18
Plenty of lime in Salisbury and Lee Mass. Big lime quarries. Lots of people use lime as driveway coating.

05-Apr-18
I know when I hunted above the Blackberry River in North Canaan there's a lime quarry there and also near Robbins Swamp. Didn't realize it was in people's backyards as well. Now if we could find a lime we might be able to make something great.

05-Apr-18
Thanks for the offer of the lime. I am sending th soil samples in next week to find out what I need.

06-Apr-18
Allyndale lime it the place to go in nw corner. If you don't have a true lime spreader don't get the ag lime it will pack up. I have had good success with grandpa rays logger seed mix for very basic ground cover of logging roads. If you looking for more then that it gets a bit more complicated but remember mother nature wants to grow.

• Sitka Gear