Amoebus 21-Apr-18
ColoBull 21-Apr-18
Z Barebow 22-Apr-18
LINK 28-Apr-18
Grasshopper 29-Apr-18
LINK 30-Apr-18
Grasshopper 03-May-18
05-Apr-18
I had to go up to Walden yesterday for a job site walk, took the scenic route(at least from my house). About 6-7miles south of Winter Park on 40 a big white wolf pops out, stood there for about 2 seconds and back into the trees. He was on the west side of 40. Wish I'd had my dash cam on. Pretty decent size and no mistaking it for a coyote or domestic dog.

Let the discussion commence...

P.S.~ Forgive my spelling(for the vocabulary police), to early and typing to fast.

05-Apr-18
Good reason to pack your varmit rifle when cruising around up here...

05-Apr-18
Had my pistol, but wasn't in a position to stop... To much traffic.

05-Apr-18
so Zack, what type of discussion needs to commence? Are there a few wolves in Colorado? Are they still protected? Should they be shot on sight? Should one notify the CPW of the sighting?

My answers to those questions are, Yes, Yes, NO, Yes. my best, Paul

05-Apr-18
I agree with Paul :)

05-Apr-18
My wife and daughter saw two wolves atop Vail Pass just before dark, they had pulled off to do something and spotted them hauling butt across an opening in deep snow. No domestic dog would be in such a remote location making it through the deep snow.

They could have been escaped Hybrids, but they were not coyotes.

They are Federally Protected in Colorado, if you were to shoot one, I would not tell anyone about it.

05-Apr-18
They're definitely here. Haven't heard of a white one but there are a few black ones in the Walden, Laramie river, and Red Feather Lakes area.

The guy who shot the one near Kremmling a couple years ago got off with no penalty because he turned himself in and it was young enough that he mistook it for a coyote

05-Apr-18
"so Zach, what type of discussion needs to commence? Are there a few wolves in Colorado? Are they still protected? Should they be shot on sight? Should one notify the CPW of the sighting? My answers to those questions are, Yes, Yes, NO, Yes. my best, Paul" Every time wolves come up it's an interesting discussion, especially with the possible reintroduction(as apposed to the already happened migration from border states). I did notify CPW, waiting on a response. Would I shoot one? If I lived in the area and was a producer and they stepped on the wrong side of the fence, then yes.

05-Apr-18
I've been hoping that the reported poor season in Unit 61 isn't wolf related. Unfortunately it makes some sense that some wolves might gravitate to limited draw units because of their higher concentrations of elk/prey animals. 'Too bad they aren't subjected to the same harvest limitations we humans are.

05-Apr-18
Yeah the mistaken-for-coyote rationale might not fly if a guy shot a white one and blabbed about it. Let's hope such sightings never become commonplace. Cool to see a wolf, but I wonder how many buddies he has, and how many Unit 28 Moose & Elk he's taken down?

06-Apr-18
A wolf eats more elk in a year than most avid elk bowhunters kill in a lifetime.

06-Apr-18
When they establish breeding pairs is when the game changes. CPW is addicted to Elk revenue it'll be interesting to see what they do about it.

06-Apr-18
I'd share that with CPW and the mile marker. Be interesting if they have any aircraft up in that area flying around to keep a look out before the leaves get on the trees. Would be interesting to know if it's just one or 20.

06-Apr-18
It ain't no secret we've got wolves. Just not very many right now. The cpw is fully aware. This will be a nightmare of an issue to deal with in CO.

07-Apr-18
You think a moose tag in Colorado is hard to get now? Just wait when the wolves start picking them off

07-Apr-18
Yikes. I hope something is done about it. CPW should really try to deter wolves in Colorado. Bad news for us hunters and revenue

07-Apr-18
I suspect the CPW wouldn't advertise any wolf control measures they might be taking. It would probably be about as well received as elk hunts in RMNP. As has been said - the CPW would ultimately take a hard hit, with lost revenue. If I saw a wolf in Colo, they'd be some of the first to know.

07-Apr-18
There is a wolf seminar in pueblo colorado April 9. I suggest everybody to attend who lives on the eastern slope.This seminar is conducted by a past senator from Montana. I attended his seminar in Carbondale CO. approximately a month ago. I found his seminar to be slanted and against hunters. If sportsman don't stand now and voice there opinion it will cost all sportsmen in one way or the other. Loss of wildlife, money and many years before sportsmen could get proper management of wolves.

09-Apr-18

ZachinCO's Link
I can't make it tonight, but here's the link. You'll have to click on the event to get to the specifics.

Hmmmm, the sierra club....

10-Apr-18

Ski & Skin's embedded Photo
Ski & Skin's embedded Photo
On a scouting trip in Gila NM,

The wolves in the Gila are smaller than the ones in Colorado. Just comparing tracks and build. One bull 1-2 months old, two cows only hide on the legs so could be a year?? All with in 1/2 mile of each other.

They will force them into Colorado, heard a rumor that Wolf refuges lost some as they got out of the enclosed pen they were in or someone left the gate open.

11-Apr-18
"They will force them into Colorado, heard a rumor that Wolf refuges lost some as they got out of the enclosed pen they were in or someone left the gate open." Isn't this the case of the one shot in Kremmling?

12-Apr-18
Wonder how many of these sightings are hybrids that people are letting go. I know if he area I live there are a lot of people who have pet wolf/dog hybrids

16-Apr-18
Wolves and those that promote their reintroduction on a bigger scale are the enemy of hunters make no doubt about it. Anyone or any group that calls for any form or fashion of a larger scale re- introduction in Colorado is the enemy of hunters and my enemy. I don't care how they try and spin it up with slick talk of biodiversity, balance of nature, lets not marginalize ourselves, overall wilderness experience, sharing the woods, etc.... bs they are the enemy.

16-Apr-18
Wolves go hand in hand with greater restrictions to our public lands for multi-use, loss of private land rights, reducing/elimination of opportunity for big game hunting, destruction of self reliance, and eventual disarmament of the public.

Do not think for one second that this is not the end goal.

Adventurewriter has it right the wolf proponents are absolutely our enemies.

17-Apr-18
Interested parties need to form a coalition against the wolf reintroduction. Preaching to the choir isn’t going to do it. Someone has to take the ball and run with it. Those with interests like the RMEF, Back Country Hunters and Anglers, Rocky Mountain Big Horn Society, cattlemen, wool growers, CBA. Colorado Outfitters, Big Game Forever, SCI, Mule Deer Foundation, etc. should be willing to participate. It would be in their best interests. We need a united front. Little voices in the darkness have little impact. The state legislators should hear from a coalition. We need to raise funds to promote seminars once the coalition is in place. A series of anti wolf seminars throughout the state meant to inform the public about what the reintroduction will do to the rural economy and wildlife populations and live stock is the way to go. That’s what the opposition is doing. If this issue ever comes to a vote before the general public, I hate to think of the outcome. Remember the spring bear season? Newspaper opinion articles and letters to the editor help in getting the word out to people who wouldn’t attend a seminar. We need a larger voice. A lobbyist would be ideal to inform the states legislators in Denver. I think the CBA has one. I’ d be surprised if some of the above mentioned organizations don’t have voice in Denver. County commissioners contacted by John Q. Citizen, who is well informed with facts, would plant the seed for rejection of the reintroduction. Any ideas?

17-Apr-18
So, now that CPW has their pay raise in the bag on the backs of the resident hunters, maybe the Sportsman’s Roundtable Meetings can start actually working on something useful like building an anti-wolf coalition? Grasshopper?

17-Apr-18
The CBA board just passed a policy in opposition to the intentional release of ANY wolf at our last meeting. So that is where the CBA is at, and now you know.

While there has been lots of meetings by pro wolf groups, many feel the reality is it is highly unlikely anything as as far as introduction would happen under the trump administration. Besides federal hurdles, there are state hurdles.

As far as those that come here on their own, I believe they are considered endangered.

As far as the roundtable, it may be out scope for trout unlimited, ducks unlimited, the turkey federation, pheasants forever and so on.

You can do something though. Go north into the predator zone in Wyoming where it is open season.

If someone wants to take the lead on putting a group together, please do. I am waiting for the May quota list to hit the web, and working on an archery turkey season proposal, and then BGSS will be here soon.

17-Apr-18
Thanks, Grasshopper!

I spent a bit of time in Wyoming this last winter looking, but did not get lucky on the big dogs. There were other guys out doing the same. Hopefully, there will be enough of a network of Wyoming boys with rifles to keep them thinned out enough to keep them from continuing south.

There have been illegal releases of wolf-dog hybrids and possibly pure strain wolves in Colorado and pretty sure that will continue. Luckily, the local ranchers around my area stay pretty alert and continuously armed, just in case. They get as many coyotes and other varmints as they can...

17-Apr-18
Ursman...many of those groups you name are either pro wolf of Kinda pro wolf or not actually against it...Like RMEF which should be a no brainer have been riding the fence on this issue and still riding ( look at their public statement on it) one of the speakers not sure on the other at the upcoming banquet Shane Mahoney is pro wolf from what I hear...BHA from what I get is pro wolf in some form or fashion ,,,,but lean that way it blows me away that ANY group that are hunters groups could not be 1000 percent against it...but it doesn't seem to be the case...

17-Apr-18
Upcoming banquet is RMBS...Mahoney is a speaker

18-Apr-18
Those organizations that are fence sitters or pro wolf are wrong if they think they won’t be affected one way or another by the increase in the wolf population in Colorado. Don’t they understand that wolves eat elk, deer, moose, big horns, and livestock. Rarely do they eat grass! All you have to do is talk to affected people in Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana to get an idea of the impact wolves have. Someone has to explain how those organizations that are pro wolf have come to that conclusion! I’m not talking about the Sierra Club and others. I’m talking about the organizations that Adventurer mentions. Ohhhhhhh, now I get it . Probably has something to do with politics and or money, not scientific principals. And don’t tell me it’s because of biodiversity. If that were true, they’d be talking about introducing the grizzly in Colorado. Now that’s some big time biodiversity!

18-Apr-18
There were lots of wolves on the east coast, more than out west. Put them back there.

18-Apr-18
"You can do something though. Go north into the predator zone in Wyoming where it is open season."

Decent option, but a better one would be to save your money on that trip up north and ensure you are a CBA member. I'd go out on a limb here and say ensure your hunting partner is a member as well. It would be nice if Pat could put a little icon next to each person that logs into the CO forum showing who is a member and who is not.

18-Apr-18
I might - if they offered a senior discount. If I were to be ID'd as a "non" CBA member here - it would probably be "adios...". Dividing the masses isn't likely to promote unity.

18-Apr-18
Bob, it's only 30 dollars a year. Please consider joining. People want things to change for the better, but don't want to get involved due to time restrictions etc, and I get that. You got guys travelling all over the state (not paid) looking out for our interests. 30 bucks a year is the least I can do.

18-Apr-18
I've given it some consideration, and stated my view. You give kids 3 yrs for $25 - good for you. The (no) senior option almost sounds like discrimination. Almost everywhere offers a senior discount. Those that don't are often shunned by seniors, and I share that sentiment.

18-Apr-18
I am a life member of CBA. Also a life member of the RMBS, MDF, P&Y, B&C, Compton, and the NRA. Regular member of CTAS and Rocky Mountain Bowmen and on the board of CTAS.

There are things that each of these groups do that really tick me off at times (especially CBA), but I believe in them enough to continue to support them.

19-Apr-18

Z Barebow's Link
This just came up in local paper. (ND/MN) Minnesota has more wolves than any other state. Yet they currently cannot be hunted. According to their group, why have a population limit for wolves? No management. We are the problem. (I am sure there are plenty of like minded folks in CO)

19-Apr-18
Most of these like minded people live on the front range (Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, etc.) If we don’t become take action with the anti wolf message, I fear the outcome.

20-Apr-18
Ursman- Like in MN, many of the same like minded people live in the twin cities. The populated areas are far removed from the day to day realities of these issues.

21-Apr-18
Z - Howling was the main MN group that got them back on the protected list. They are pure animal rights.

It is too simple to think that it is only twin cities folk that like the wolves. Take a trip up to Ely, MN and you will find plenty of wolves and wolf lovers.

21-Apr-18
Videos like this, of wolves attacking and killing a moose calf, in front of the mother, might swing ANY reasonable human mother's vote... :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_7WcPry2Y There's undoubtedly a PR war under way. What can you, as an individual, do? If you truly care, maybe pass it on? A "Warning - graphic content" might be wise.

22-Apr-18
I get that Amoebus. I didn't intend to infer the metro is the only place where these folks conduct their operations. But they focus their efforts where they can influence the most sheeple. Jim Brandenberg takes picturesque photographs of wolves. But you don't see any pictures of wolves doing what wolves do. You won't find any chapters in Karlstad or Roseau where the ag community is strong and overlaps wolf range.

28-Apr-18
Ones membership dues sure don’t go as far when they are paying a reduced rate. If it’s worth supporting, it’s worth paying the full price. Can non residents join the CBA?

29-Apr-18
Definitely. you can do it online www.coloradobowhunting.org

Thanks!

30-Apr-18
Done.

03-May-18

Grasshopper's Link
This is great podcast from a Phd carnivore expert in opposition to a Colorado wolf reintroduction. You can tell he is a hunter first type of guy. He figures the projection of the wolf project folks of 250 wolves is more likely going to turn into 1500-2000 wolves, that kill 33,000 elk per year.

He also talk about how hard and unrealistic it is to use hunting to control wolves. Trapping and poison seem to be best, but that's unlikely if not impossible here in Colorado.

While the pro-wolf groups claim "it is federal land", turns out he says 51% of the wolf kill has been on private.

Its long, but worth a listen

• Sitka Gear