KSbowhunter 05-Apr-18
jims 15-Apr-18
mikea20 11-May-18
LONEBULL 11-May-18
mikea20 11-May-18
LONEBULL 12-May-18
mikea20 14-May-18
05-Apr-18
Have always wanted to try bowhunting antelope in Wyoming and plan to within the next couple years (if I'm not deployed during season). I grew up bowhunting whitetail and mule deer in Kansas and I'm definitely the type that doesn't mind a hike or going farther than the average hunter. Could anyone give advice on which units to consider for abundant numbers and public access, as well as how to apply as a nonresident? Thanks!

05-Apr-18
Get some preference points before you applying and you'll get a chance at a better area. A little west of eastern side of the state has better access to public land. Doe tags are cheap and a random draw so maybe hunt doe next year to learn an area for a buck. You can get in on the draw this year, doe tags or apply for a good area and maybe get that random draw tag. Some decent areas with 1 PP but do homework on access. Look at the hunt planner on G&W website, it shows public lands and draw odds.

05-Apr-18
Thank you for the info!

15-Apr-18
Once you start digging into the research you'll likely find out that the more public land in a unit the tougher it is to draw tags. Obviously units with higher quality bucks plus lots of public land will take close to max pts to draw. You might look over land status maps to figure out which units have more public and private.

Antelope are exciting...and challenging to hunt with bow. You can either spot and stalk, hunt from waterholes, or possibly try using a decoy once the rut kicks in. Some country have more draws and brush for stalking. Some areas have fewer water sources than others for waterhole hunting. It's just a matter of getting out there and figuring things out. It sounds like you have lots of experience hunting KS whitetails and muley bucks so I'm sure you'll catch on quick with antelope.

11-May-18
Another non-res (from CO) question. I've been hunting in Wyo for antelope for years, but also want to try with a bow. Is it true that it costs $50+ to use archery equip in WY?

11-May-18
Yep except looking at the price list on the WGFD web site it's $72.00 now.

11-May-18
For archery only tags or even during rifle season?

12-May-18
That's if you want to hunt in the special archery season. If you want to hunt with your bow during rifle season then it won't cost you anything.

14-May-18
Good to know. Thank you!

• Sitka Gear