drslyr 06-Apr-18
Belchertown Bowman 07-Apr-18
mrw 08-Apr-18
mrw 08-Apr-18
mrw 08-Apr-18
drslyr 08-Apr-18
mrw 09-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
I am interested recording my bow hunts. Nothing sophisticated or professional like submitting for publication. Looking to be as simple as possible. I was thinking of the GOPRO's that you can wear on your head. Any--any suggestions or guidance would be really appreciated.

06-Apr-18
Yes Doc, lots of fun, an adds a new twist to hunting. I have a small midland camera I got at dick’s about 15 years ago. When you here something coming, just hit the on button. Mine came with several mounting brackets. One threads into your stabilizer if you shoot copound. I shoot traditional so the baseball cap bracket clamps right on the bow. I found it easier to get footage with the camera on the bow. Video is not to bad, but the deer seem far away ( no zoom on mine) and the footage jumps when you release arrow. But all in all pretty cool. Good luck!

06-Apr-18
Go pro is a good secondary camera to film yourself not a hunt. It is too limited in its type of lense. Drslyr is the man when it comes to solo hunting with video. Hopefully he chimes in and helps you with this one. He has much more knowledge than I do. Everything I know I have read. But I do know one thing I video taped a hunt and shot with a go pro mounted to my bow. Deer was small because of limitations in the lense and it was hard to see arrow impact. Spend a couple hundred bucks and get a small handheld camera with a cheap arm for mounting to start. Then you can really upgrade if you decide it's something you want to do

06-Apr-18
I have little experience on/about this topic other than to add this:

As an I.T. Guy tech is changing very rapidly

Always update,.. every few years The pace of change ,.. quickens faster ,.. all the time.

Filming tech 5 years ago,.. compared to now,.. ?

06-Apr-18
If you can narrow down the area where you are planning to shoot the deer, mount the GoPro or tactacam on a tree facing the “kill zone” and let it run— tactacam actually allows you to turn it on using an app on ph

06-Apr-18
If you can narrow down the area where you are planning to shoot the deer, mount the GoPro or tactacam on a tree facing the “kill zone” and let it run— tactacam actually allows you to turn it on using an app on phone, so even if you don’t shoot, you can still get good shots from a diff angle. The tactacam bowmount sucks though since your bow undoubtedly will vibrate a lot at shot

06-Apr-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Depending on how good of quality video you want to make will determine the amount of money you need to spend to get the desired result. Some people are happy with a small cam like a go pro that will film the hunt but as others have said its so far away you are unable to really see anything. Iv'e been filming about 5 yrs. now and for me I needed to be able to see the arrow and the hit. I spent around 3000 for the rig I'm filming with now. Throw in another 5000 on computers for editing and its gets to be an expensive hobby. Thats just my personal choice though, Hell you can film with your I fone for free. This is my current filming rig.

06-Apr-18

drslyr's Link
Here's a link to a spike kill I made self filming.

06-Apr-18
If you cant watch it all go to 13:25 in the video.

07-Apr-18
Super nice thanks.

Post more that was awesome!

08-Apr-18
Great stuff drslyr! I got a mount for my cell phone, I think a Muddy, but I'll look. I wasn't looking for much, just record the shot so I can see the hit.

08-Apr-18

mrw's Link
Some of the guys today saw my cell phone mount to let me film using my phone. Here's a video of me missing an 8 point. I don't think it's production quality, but you can analyze your shot afterwards, and it's good enough for me to show my friends and family.

08-Apr-18

mrw's Link
Here's another of me missing a doe. These misses were the reason I wanted to film my shots. I learned that the deer drop lower then you thuink possible, and you need to control torque and keep good shooting form.

08-Apr-18

drslyr's Link
Here's a link to 8pt. archery kill in ny. Watch it on the biggest screen you got. Just wanna see the kill go to 10:35 in the video. Just curious MRW. Why did you film in 480 as opposed to 1080p like your second video? The phone mount is a pretty nice quality video for an inexpensive way to capture a hunt.

09-Apr-18
John I think it's because I had the phone zoomed in, or because I have no clue what I'm doing film-wise. Probably the latter.

• Sitka Gear