Clover types for annual food plot
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Belchertown Bowman 08-Apr-18
XMan 09-Apr-18
xi 09-Apr-18
08-Apr-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
So my buddy who has land told me if I can find his 1800 pound harrow he will tractor till up some land and I can put in a food plot. I found the Harrow! buried in prickers. He said he will just back in,.. the tractor and pull it out.

So now in my basic studying I am seeing that often you plant part of the food plot with a perennial like clover providing food all year round and then allocate like 60-40% of the plot to a late season annual,.. food like brassicas.

Ok so I have seen there are ton of clover options,.. and some say to mix in chicory,..

I was curious what clover types some of you have used,.. and is that expensive Imperial clover mix worth it? 40 bucks for 4 lbs? But the seed coating improves germination,.. ? I guess you can also spray this with Arrest to kill weeds but not the clover! Oh this gets complicated quick,..

https://www.whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-whitetail-clover-perennial/

or just go buy cheap clover mix at the local seed shop for pennies?

So I guess first plowing will be May and will be some cloverish mix,.. Brassicas in august,..

Will post some photos of our green horn endeavor,.. never done a food plot before,..

Who is it who posted that food plots are addictive? Yep,..

Thinking of throwing in a few apple trees too,..

Any advice please throw it my way,..

09-Apr-18
I am a fan of RW soybeans, grains like winter wheat or oats, Cereal Rye and brassicas. I find the clover to be an early plot attractant, then later in the season, the deer seem to move off it and pound the others noted above. Go with a blend, Grandpa Rays has a few I really like, Grains and Greens and Frosty Delight. Yes, its super addictive and damn expensive!

09-Apr-18
X2 what Xman said. I'm going to burn off my imperial clover field in a few weeks with round up, then I'm going to go with either grandpa rays or my own mix from the local co op of clover and alfalfa. Love the RW Beans and so do the deer. BB fair warning, next will be a sprayer, then a disk harrow, then a corn planter, then a spreader, it's bad !

• Sitka Gear