horsethief51 09-Apr-18
Shick 09-Apr-18
Shick 09-Apr-18
horsethief51 09-Apr-18
horsethief51 09-Apr-18
09-Apr-18

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
horsethief51 's embedded Photo
While I was at the Compton Traditional Bow convention in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago a long time UBP member Tery Taylor asked if I had ever heard of an organization that predates the UBP, and, that he had a patch that he believed was possibly as much as 10 years older. Although I have seen older and earlier UBP patches I have did not recall ever seeing this one.

If anyone has any knowledge of this one or its organization please chime in.

09-Apr-18
Art, got t talk with you at Compton's; good to see you out of retirement for a weekend. Anyway, Spring of '75 was the births of the Pennsylvania Professional Bowhunters Society, after Bruce Barber(PA) a board member of the Professional Bowhunters Society was issued a challenge to organize the Pa. Bowhunters. They printed newsletters pretty much like the UBP does. They held small hunts and banquets. Around '81 they reduced the size of the newsletter, as things were starting to slow down and not too much activity was going on. My June '82 newsletter shows the name changed to Pa.B.S., Inc or PABS. It was close to '85 when PABS was pretty much at a stand still. I believe the Nunevillers, Lee Nuneviller might have been the last president. I'm leaving a lot of information out, as I have quite a few of the old newsletters and correspondence. I also have a Sid Bell pewter Pennsylvania Bowhunters Society belt buckle and hat pins along with the patches like the one you have shown. Contact me if you would like any additional information. Hope this helps. Shick

09-Apr-18
Art, back to the patch; I know they came with the black background you have and also yellow. Hat pins were first in a round shape and then in the oval. Shick

09-Apr-18
It was great to see all of the UBP guys that attended from all over the state. I got to meet some past officers and county reps fro way back. It was a great turnout from all over North America. It was nice to get my West Virginia (recurve bow) buck from 2010 scored for their archives.

09-Apr-18
I got the following info from one of our older members:

Yes this was the state bowhunting organization prior to the UPB. It went belly up. The President and Secretary were married and got divorced. The newsletter editor was in a serious car accident and PABS just disappeared with no notice to the members. Before PA Bowhunting Society it was called PA Professional Bowhunting Society sort of like the state version of PBS. The named was changed because hunters/people thought that it was a group for professional hunters. When the UBP was formed they tried to get the membership list but whoever had it would not give it to the UBP founders. I have a patch like that and a belt buckle.

• Sitka Gear