Predeter 04-Jun-18
PECO 04-Jun-18
COHOYTHUNTER 04-Jun-18
Aspen Ghost 04-Jun-18
JRABQ 04-Jun-18
PECO 04-Jun-18
mikea20 04-Jun-18
09-Apr-18
Does anyone REALLY know why it takes the CPW so long to draw/post results for Colorado? Especially now that everything is automated and done online (no more paper applications, all changes to the applications must be done online before the deadline, etc); taking 60 days to complete the draw just seems unnecessary.. In my simple mind, it seems to me, once all applications are submitted, they only need to push a button like "run" on the program that does the draw and it spits out results... I guess its just irritating that other states like Wyoming can complete their draw in 30 days after the application deadline..

09-Apr-18
Shouldn’t take more than 24 hours after the deadline to run all of the draws. Crazy how long most states take for something that should be super simple with computers.

09-Apr-18
I kinda understood before when it was obvious they were sitting on the interest from the application fees before they had to refund.. but now, you'd think they would want to draw ASAP so they could collect funds! The other piece to this, is scheduling, there are guys that need to request time off, may be looking at hunting elsewhere, etc; but don't find out until June!! ridiculous.... I just cannot figure any logical reason to take 60 days....

09-Apr-18
It probably is this just year because they might be testing out their software. Better to say later then earlier because if something goes wrong you can take your time before the deadline. If you promise the people you will do it earlier and something goes wrong, your screwed.

09-Apr-18
Landowner Preference program applications are still submitted in paper, and the first to be drawn. I suspect in the coming year or two those will become electronic, but for now they are very manual. That will perhaps be more complex as you have more data fields, including parcel numbers, land managers, etc. Once those move over, maybe the draw can be expedited.

09-Apr-18
I thought they were estimating herd size now and that quotas weren't decided until the May commissioners meeting. Then the draw starts. Scott

09-Apr-18
Highway Star is correct. But the quotas for goat and sheep have already been set so you would think their draw should happen right away.

09-Apr-18
Sheep and goat are usually out in early to mid may

09-Apr-18
I'm wondering if watching for the credit card charge will be the new "back door"?

Which got me to wondering if they will charge credit cards simultaneous with the draw or after the draw?

And that got me wondering if a credit card is rejected will they just continue the draw and pick a replacement applicant or will that permit go in the leftover draw?

In the past they had the money before the draw so this was not a concern. Under the new system they will have some rate of rejected payments so if they don't charge the cards simultaneously with the draw there will be more "leftover" permits for failed payments.

Anyone know how this will work?

09-Apr-18
There is a payment deadline of June 20. If you don’t pay by then you lose your tag and your points. So you’ll have to login and check that everything you drew got paid for.

09-Apr-18
Someone mentioned that when the 2018 turkey draw happened, their card was 'hit' about 12 hrs prior

I still think we will need to wait to see the results, especially if you used the same CC for yourself & kids. You may see a charge, but you wont know who drew what

09-Apr-18
And its quite obvious that most dont remember how we used to get notified before the internet when the draws took place.

There was a time when drawing a cow tag was like a winning lotto ticket

09-Apr-18
yeah I saw a pending charge the night before the turkey results were posted. So I'm guessing about a 12hr maybe 24hr backdoor

10-Apr-18
It is illegal for the CPW to collect any interest funds from license fees. Never has been done.

10-Apr-18
Ok. Leagal or illegal.. doesn't matter, because we all know that government officials always do the right thing.. but that's beside the point... And the "setting tag allocation based on herd numbers", I get that too but frankly, they should have that information way before May 3rd for the commission meeting.. and why would it take a meeting to set those numbers, shouldn't that be up to the biologists? And ok, landowner tags are a separate system and that draw happens first, I get that too but landowner tags should have nothing to do with regular limited draw tags... Anyhow, i hope this June 4th date is a " longest" date and we find out sooner.. I still cannot wrap my head around this idea that it takes 60 days to draw tags with the automated system..

10-Apr-18
Reports on herd conditions and counts are not done until later than one might think. As far as winter kill goes, there is risk right into April.

Biologist's and local WCOs make their recommendations but they don't make the decision. They are probably damn happy to be relieved of it. :)

I don't know how it's done now, but sheep and goat counts in the past have been done in June. If they still do it that way then quotas are being set based on the previous years count.

10-Apr-18
It appears to me that due to the changes in registering and logging in to your account, there will not be a backdoor like there has been in the past. Anyone know for sure if that is correct?

10-Apr-18
As popular as it seems learning app status a few days before it's officially posted, CPW should have a $5 check box if you want your results 72 hours before official posting :^)

10-Apr-18
Working the back door was fun while it lasted, but times change. I'll be happy to get them when posted.

Gotta say, it's the closest thing in my life to what waiting for Christmas was as a kid. Most of us are a bunch of overgrown kids about the whole hunting thing. When it goes away I'll quit hunting. :)

10-Apr-18
In my little mind, it is stupid to make hunters wait so long to see if they drew a license. Why, because people actually have to plan vacations dates and days. Not everyone can get the days off that they want at the last minute.

11-Apr-18
Last minute? I dont know of any Colorado big game seasons that start for at least 80 days from June 4.

Last minute would be the next day

11-Apr-18
Glunt, keep up with ideas like that and you'll get hired by CPW marketing...

bighorn, put in for the time off, if you don't get drawn cancel.

11-Apr-18
Speaking of draw results. Today the CPW sent me a random receipt from my elk submission. Thought that was odd since they already sent me one the day I put in for the tag.

12-Apr-18
Some sheep seasons start August 4th

12-Apr-18
Did anyone who drew turkey see the licenses in there "active" page of the "my orders" section once logging in? Or will that be the notification once posted?

12-Apr-18
Sheep results come out a month earlier. I am hoping that when they go all electronic that results come sooner.

13-Apr-18
I'm just waiting for somebody to figure out the new backdoor...

13-Apr-18
"...have to plan vacations dates and days. Not everyone can get the days off that they want at the last minute."

Before I retired I had to bid my vacation in January for a May - April vacation year. I guess I should have demanded that they complete the big game draws by the end of December. ;-)

13-Apr-18
Don't bosses these days allow you to put in for vacation without knowing the draw results and then when you don't draw just rescind the request? Seems easy to me.

14-Apr-18
Every boss is different. I stare mine down in the mirror each morning and when it comes to getting some hunting time off he usually OKs it :^)

25-Apr-18
I have always felt like it would be great and sensical if they could post the results mid-May. My reasoning is that would give guys who may be hunting a new area, or non residents that are also hunting new territory, and have limited time, a chance to take advantage of the Memorial holiday weekend to get some boots on the ground and see the county they will find themselves in come fall. Some guys only get a few opportunities between when the results get posted and huntin season. If your like my family and friends, we camp over the holiday weekend anyways, but if I know where I’m going to hunt I usually head that way for the holiday anyways, just for fun and to see what’s up. Explore new roads and trails, or find new access points I may jump off of come fall.

25-Apr-18
Double post sorry .

25-Apr-18
The biologists compile the aerial counts and harvest data late winter thru early spring. The big game draw license quotas are then presented to the Wildlife Commission at the May meeting for approval. Add a couple weeks to add the tag numbers into the computer system and complete the draw, and the end of May, beginning of June is a reasonable amount of time to publicize the results. Gotta side with them on this one. No time is wasted considering all the planning that goes into the big picture of the draw.

17-May-18
This is interesting.. I just read this in the regs... "IF YOU DRAW A DEER, ELK,PRONGHORN,MOOSE OR BEAR LICENSE, THE CREDITCARD ON FILE IN YOUR CPW ACCOUNT WILL BE CHARGED BETWEEN JUNE 4?8" .... So Theoretically, the draw could happen sooner than June 4th and the preference points may reflect results...

23-May-18
As a nonresident another complaint is they include a fishing license with your elk license but the year is half over before you get it. I usually start fishing in CO in May/June so unless I take an OTC archery tag instead of a refund I end up paying for a fishing license twice! Even then the license does not show up before I go fishing and I just carry a copy of my online receipt. Heve not been checked yet but one phone number said that was what to do but another was not sure.

Why not require me to buy a small game license I could use for grouse during elk season. I never waste time fishing while elk hunting but do buy a small game license for shooting grouse. Mountain chicken sure taste good!!!

I understand they want to get more money from nonresidents but at least give me something only useful during elk season or get it to me before the season is half over.

23-May-18
@Hossfisher - totally agree with this. I try to do some fishing while scouting in the summer, would be nice if the fishing license from the previous year lasted at least until the OTC licenses go on sale.

23-May-18
I think the biggest gripe I hear from my non resident buddies, is the planning aspect. For instance, we are currently 90 days out from the start of archery season, by the week of June 4th we'll be like 75 days out and for some guys the closer you get to requesting time off from a job, the more difficult it becomes to get approved.. that goes for requesting time for the hunt and to maybe come out and scout before season... I think my personal frustration is, there is absolutely no rationale explaination why the draw hasn't happened yet unless the DPW feels they must stick to the timeline originally set forth because of the payment piece of the equation.. I personally think they have already drawn everything, but will hold to the original advertised timeline and not officially release results until the week of June 4th, however, we could start to see pending charges on credit cards the Friday before..

23-May-18
Agree, both planning and scouting are impeded by their system. Imagine the revenue loss over memorial day weekend that most NR's would be scouting, instead they're stuck barbecuing in their back yards. I know I would've spent this Mem weekend in CO had I known I drew a tag.

23-May-18
Way to early to scout on Memorial day for archery season. Big game in different movement patterns in the spring.

23-May-18
Hossfisher,

It seems that every office gives a different answer about the combo fishing/elk permit. When I called the Montrose office they insisted the combo permit was an annual fishing permit but also insisted that I had to have it in my possession while fishing. I politely explained that was impossible to do before they went on sale so it wasn't really an annual fishing permit. They insisted it was an annual permit but also insisted that I had to buy an additional fishing permit if I wanted to fish in June???????????????? I gave up.

I have heard from others that the office they called said you can fish if you have a printout of your online receipt. I wonder how the Game Warden is suppose to know which office you talked to? (sarcasm intended).

23-May-18
I know when you purchase a fishing license online, they provide you with a code/number that you can use in lieu of your license until it’s received in the mail. I don’t know if that’s the same for the elk/fishing combo, though, but would have to imagine it would be.

23-May-18
I bet there would be some that would still complain if they knew what they drew and had a fishing license on January 1st

24-May-18
tick tock mf'ers LOL

24-May-18
For someone who may have never stepped foot in a unit there is no bad time to scout. Any and all boots on the ground will be beneficial. From what I’ve seen in CO in otc units relative to the elk, the meadows will be plum full the week before season and no hide nor hair after the opener. So I’d rather spend my 4day Mem weekend familiarizing myself with the lay of the land.

24-May-18
Once your CC is charged there is a receipt in your profile. You can also look up the products that you own. Somewhere there you should be able to print a proof of your fishing license.

24-May-18
Hell, I can’t even get into most of the country I hunt yet. Too much snow! Memorial Day weekend scouting isn’t worth it unless you hunt the low country!

I’m just hoping the pike are hungry and I can stay away from the hordes of tu-rons this weekend! Need 6 or 10 nice fat pike for a fish fry or two:)

24-May-18
I'm with Treeline. Too much snow until late June!

24-May-18
Too many people memorial day, we don't even bother leaving town!

27-May-18
X2! Some old timers use the term "Terr-ists". Terrist season is here :0

27-May-18
I find it ironic that so many people leave town to get away from all the people, and pack into the same places all the other people leaving town go.

27-May-18
Totally agree Peco. Or leave town to go to a campground you can see from the freeway with 500 other people from Denver. Nothing like solitude of camping next to the road with 500 neighbors!

27-May-18

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Little bit of snow here still
Cazador's embedded Photo
Little bit of snow here still
Tried getting to an alpine lake I like to fish early. It looked promising on the way in as all the south facing slopes were melted off. Got to the ridge where I can see the lake, frozen. Going to be awhile up high but I did see elk at 12.5 k so they're moving up.

Flipping traffic!

27-May-18
This snow must be in central and northern Colorado

27-May-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This morning in Wyoming- 9500’. We couldn’t even get to where we wanted to go.

27-May-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
The elk were just starting to migrate up into this elevation

28-May-18
COHOYTHUNTER, I think they're actually waiting until very close to the announced date to do the actual draw. The Sheep recaps are dated May 2nd. This is usually a reflection of the actual draw date. They posted Sheep results on May 4th this year.

28-May-18
Yep, everything is speculation at this point.. all we really know is that sometime next week we'll know

29-May-18
I just called the CPW to ask if there was a plan next week for what days results are posted.. ie: Monday is Deer, Tuesday is moose, etc.. The rep stated he was unaware of any scheduled release dates. then I asked about timing of credit card charges, meaning if they were going to start drawing, mailing tags and charging credit cards all in the same day.. Now here is where it gets interesting.. He told me "the draw has already happened, they are just double checking everything before posting results next week" and he made it sound as though, its been done for some time, he also added the disclaimer that he and other reps are unaware of what results are, so they cannot see points, tags, etc. until we can.. ... So just so ya'll know, everything is done.. seems silly to me that they cannot post yet..

29-May-18
Doesn't surprise me, usually via backdoor we all knew by now.

Are they emailing/texting draw results?

29-May-18
Email is only thing I know of

30-May-18
Remember a couple years ago when the contractor did the deer draw and forgot to include nonresidents? They had to do it over and many who thought they'd drawn through the backdoor found out they really didn't draw after the do-over.

30-May-18
I drew a tag both times that time though Lou! It made it all better!

30-May-18
I'm missing the back door.

30-May-18
At least we can hope this new program won’t vaporlock like the old system did last year when I got in line super early for a leftover tag.

01-Jun-18
Well gentlemen, good luck on Monday!

01-Jun-18
Man they really ARE sticking to their announced dates this year.

01-Jun-18
Come on! I've been waiting 11 years. Dont want to wait any longer!!!??

01-Jun-18
I was really thinking or maybe hoping they would do something by today.. charge credit cards, update preference points, something.. but nothing.. looks like next week

02-Jun-18
Really Peco.....damn......smh

LOL

02-Jun-18
Years ago when it was a red state it was a lot more fun. Way to many tree huggers here now running the state. When the state combined parks in with DOW was the start. My 2 cents.

02-Jun-18
Backdoor inyourendos never get old!

02-Jun-18
Years ago when it was a red state, parks and DOW were combined.

02-Jun-18
Rectum? Damn near killed em!

02-Jun-18
I worked for the department of "Game, Fish, and Parks" back in the '80s. Still have a sign in my cabin.

03-Jun-18
Almost there kids!

03-Jun-18
So, tomorrow?

03-Jun-18
Next four days, metered out a species at a time I think

03-Jun-18
From what the cpw rep told me last week.. there is no planned schedule for posting results, meaning not like a speices a day.. also that the draw is complete. I am betting sometime, hopefully tomorrow all results will post simultaneously.

04-Jun-18
June 4th is here, nothing changed:-(

04-Jun-18
Yep. It's like waking up Christmas morning to find nothing under the tree.... All that is left of the milk and cookies you left out are crumbs, your wallet is missing and your soon to be ex girlfriend has this strange smile on her face and is wearing a santa hat that says made in the North Pole.... I feel just like that right now

04-Jun-18
They probably haven't arrived at the office yet. It might be a long week. :^)

04-Jun-18
HAHAHAHA @COHOYTHUNTER That pretty much sums it up

04-Jun-18
Woke up today eagerly awaiting draw results. First my password was not registering, even though it was OK for applying in April. Then requested new password, and no link was sent back to reset password. Then went down to NE Office and they said the draw results would be posted sometime between 6/4-6/8, and that my password issue should be resolved, yet is not yet. Then realize we only have until June 20th to pay if we were drawn and for some reason the payment does not happen. A whopping 12 days from the 8th to clear that payment issue or we lose our preference pts. and the tag involved. Not OK and this procedure/process/penalties was never vetted or for that matter ever discussed in sportsmen meetings. UGGG!!

04-Jun-18
Lol. You been away from your wall tent and hunting too long. Need to chill walltenthunter. All will b OK.

04-Jun-18
All great businesses focus on the client. We (sportsmen) are the clients. This new system, even for one whom has given blood for over a decade in CP&W advocacy, appears now more flawed than anyone thought. By the way, the penalty of losing PP is absolutely not OK, especially with a paltry 12 days to clear the issue. Lost /stolen cards, change of card maturity, change of card #. At a minimum sportsmen should have been given 30 full days forward from the 8th to resolve payment issues. Try a 20 PP person whom is sick, hospitalized, on vacation, or working out of the country for a month or so. If they lose their PP, lost is over 20 years.

04-Jun-18
^^CPW is a government entity. Customer service is the least of their worries.

04-Jun-18
Yup.

04-Jun-18
Not sure how that could happen Walltent....if successful, unless you change payment options I think the card you applied with is charged. At least that's what happened with my turkey tag.

04-Jun-18
If the card used to apply in April was subsequently lost or has fraud activity the card would be closed by the card issuer, and that initial card could not be charged. Also, renewals have a updated expiration date. Not sure there if the new system have that an issue. Also, what about sportsmen moves in residence and home and system computer downtime issues. We will simply have to wait and see what situations occur with sportsmen having drawn a tag, yet not being able to successfully remit payment by June 20. The penalty of loss of PP could be staggering, and as previously stated this was not vetted with sportsmen, and I have been in multiple meetings. Then the icing on the cake expected is PP creep due to higher applicant levels for limited licenses, especially low level hunt codes, in new 'pay later' system. Moose Drool Beer time.

04-Jun-18
^^^^ Lost, stolen, fraud, renewal issues are NOT the responsibility of the CPW.

Buck up buttercups

04-Jun-18
There is plenty of time if you drew and your payment method does not go through, that they notify you by e-mail and you can get is changed yourself online, or call and pay, or go to a vendor anyplace and pay...

04-Jun-18
Right no I am just hoping I have something to pay for.

04-Jun-18
"All great businesses focus on the client. We (sportsmen) are the clients"

Actually, we are not. The mission of the Parks and wildlife Dept. Is to manage the wildlife of Colorado for the benefit of coloradans and visitors to Colorado. It's all written down somewhere, I just don't remember where. So, we are just the primary source of funding. LOL

04-Jun-18

KHunter's Link
2018 Moose Draw Recap report is out there, not officially posted but can be seen online. Very grim.

04-Jun-18

KHunter's Link
2018 Deer Draw Recap report is out there, not officially posted but can be seen online. Very grim.

04-Jun-18

KHunter's Link
2018 Pronghorn Draw Recap report is out there, not officially posted but can be seen online.

04-Jun-18
Based on the recaps, I'm headed to CO in August!

04-Jun-18
On my first choice for deer, it was 50% successful as I expected. ON my second choice, about 45% of the applicants drew, but there were a good number that drew third and some fourth choice for that tag. Can someone explain this?

04-Jun-18
It's weird, the unit I put in for is 90% for one point but then drops to 85% for two points.. I am not understanding

04-Jun-18
So for deer there were 60,215 nonresident applicants in 2017. In 2018 with the change in application charging there were 80, 359 nonresident applicants. Most of the change is of course 0 point applicants which went from 19,125 to 31,787 (nonresident apps).

I'm surprised the change made that big of a difference for deer but the numbers are clear.

04-Jun-18
Peco; "ON my second choice, about 45% of the applicants drew, but there were a good number that drew third and some fourth choice for that tag. Can someone explain this? "

I think the confusing issue is that a lot of people drew their 1st choice, but their 2nd choice application still gets lumped in to the 2nd choice statistics. So if tags where still being issued to 3rd and 4th choices, you can bet you would have 100% chance of drawing your 2nd choice (if you didn't draw your first choice).

04-Jun-18
That makes sense, thanks.

04-Jun-18
"Draw Results... June 4th?!?! Seriously" Apparently, they weren't serious about June 4th!

• Sitka Gear