SD BuckBuster 19-Oct-18
Windlaker_1 23-Oct-18
SD BuckBuster 25-Oct-18
Mnhunter1980 30-Oct-18
BrianC 30-Oct-18
grizzly 30-Oct-18
SD BuckBuster 31-Oct-18
10-Apr-18
My dad and I along with a couple other buddies are planning on staying in Sturgis, SD and hunting Oct. 21-27. We are planning on hunting in the Blackhills. I've been the person chosen to put in the research for this trip. So far I've talked to a Game Warden and Forest Ranger. I've also been looking at the G&F website. It looks like we can apply for (guaranteed) tags in June. Does it matter if we apply for a Blackhills or West River tag? If hunting is good, can we buy a doe tag over the counter? Looks like fall turkey season doesn't open till Nov. 1 or am I missing something there? From my research it looks like most of the private land/fields are along the major roads up in the hills. Any thoughts if those property owners allow bowhunters? I've vacationed out in the Blackhills a couple of times, so I have an idea of what the terrain is like. A friend of mine also turkey hunts out there in the spring, so I'm planning on sitting down w/ him and getting some info. from him as well. Also we're planning on hunting from the ground using ghillie suits and ghost blinds. Are the trees big enough for portable tree stands? Thanks for your time! Brian

10-Apr-18
You sure ask a lot of questions in one paragraph. There is no Black Hills specific archery tag. Apply for unlimited archery West river and you may have to apply for an unlimited free access permit for the hills. Cannot buy antlerless over the counter but they might sell you one at Rapid City Headquarters. Don't know about the turkeys but that one is a limited application draw. If private land is not posted in the Black Hills Fire Protection district, you can hunt it. Varies from area to area. Know where the dwellings are so you don't get in trouble with hunting to close to houses or stock. Trees vary in size but I've not had any problems using portables. Waterholes are good if its dry. Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

11-Apr-18
Good questions.. Yes you can buy a tag at the Rapid City GFP location.. I did that after I tagged out with rifle after the first morning. I sent you a PM

09-Oct-18
We are all set for our trip to the Black Hills. We found a cabin through VRBO that we're staying at, it 's located in Piedmont. Has anyone been out hunting in the northern hills yet? I got a couple of tips from a friend that spring turkey hunts out there on spots they see a lot of deer and find some real nice shed antlers. We are planning on mainly hunting from the ground with ghillie suits and ghost blinds but I think I'm gonna bring a climbing stand along too. Really hoping to get a chance at a mule deer but it sounds like they are few and far between in the northern hills. Brian

17-Oct-18
Just got back last weekend. Southern Black Hills, just North of Hy 16. TOUGH hunting.

After talking to a few ranchers, they had a very wet Swing & Summer. So much food up high, no need for the deer to come down low, and work towards the fields (where we normally hunt).

Good Luck!

18-Oct-18
Did anyone in your group have any success Windlaker?

18-Oct-18
Nope. 4 guys, no one had a shot.

19-Oct-18
Were you hunting whitetails or mule deer? And were you looking for someing super big or what?

23-Oct-18
No trophy hunters...just a decent buck. Nothing within 200 yards.

Either species.

25-Oct-18
That sure is discouraging.. And also very odd.

30-Oct-18
Hey Brian, how was your trip? Joe

30-Oct-18
We went 0 for 4. From all the info I heard on deer numbers, it was disappointing. We did see a lot of deer while driving to and from hunting, but not many while we were hunting. The deer were on private property for the most part or living right in town. 3 of the 4 of us had A shot opportunity, but for one reason or another we didn't take the shot. We hunted on the west side of Piedmont and the west side of Sturgis. Gonna spend this winter trying to find a different area out there to try next fall.

30-Oct-18
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I was out there 19-21 helping a nephew get a cow elk. We were successful in that venture and I did not see very many mulies but numerous whitetails working over the freshly cut saplings and branches that were laying around in small piles. Eating that newest growth. I will be heading back out there shortly to try a little harder. Better luck next year. Hope you enjoyed the scenery.

31-Oct-18
Yeah the hills are a learning experience for sure. Sorry to hear that it didn't go that well for you guys.

• Sitka Gear