huntskifishcook 04-May-18
GED 14-May-18
hickstick 14-May-18
GED 14-May-18
12-Apr-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo

peterk1234's Link
I have been working on a new way to use the Wild Edge Steps. Four Steps to go twenty feet. It is working very well. So I could take just five Steps with me, get to 20 feet and set another step with the last step I set for climbing and have a nice little platform. That is five pounds to go twenty feet with a platform. Bring six, and I am at 25 feet with a platform. Pete

12-Apr-18
Pete, I gotta say that knee hook thing-a-ma-bob is one of the cooler macgyver projects I've ever seen.

12-Apr-18
Yeah, I couldn't agree more, you should patent that thing Pete!

12-Apr-18
^^

Before I do! ;)

13-Apr-18
Ditto Eastie, Moons, and HFSC... Peter, that thing is Amazing. I dont think you would make much money given the low numbers of saddle hunters, but man, you have a cool little business with that thing if you want it I bet. Ingenious! Extremely ingenious!

13-Apr-18
Not worth the liability. I rather put it out there and have people use it, improve it and share what they figure out with the rest of us.

13-Apr-18
Pete, agreed with the others, the idea and implementation is very cool. And it looks like you've tweaked it a little bit too. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the video it looks like you've got one for each leg, different lengths. So you can space the steps even farther apart. On Sunday didn't you have one on just one leg?

13-Apr-18

peterk1234's Link
BruceP, you are correct. I added one that is longer to the other leg. It also has a little bungee attached so that it can clip to my harness. I can just unhook it as I go and let it go. Here is another video. I tried to find a troublesome tree in my yard. This one leans, has branches I had to get around, and I finished the climb on thinner, kind of sketchy split limb. This is my first attempt ever on this tree. Four steps, twenty feet. Even going slow, not being totally proficient yet and pulling out the secondary linemans belt to stay hooked up around a branch, I was up in under seven minutes. Pete

13-Apr-18
Pretty neat stuff Pete. I have been doing a cost analysis for getting the saddle fully set up and some steps and it comes to righ around 450 bucks. Yikes !!!!!

I have to find a way to get the cost down on this before I make a commitment. It's hard when I already have 2 climbers and 4 fixed stands. For the money to get setup for a tree saddle I can have 4 different hanging with 20 ft ladders going to each. That would give me a total of 10 different areas to hunt from. hmmmmmm.....

Still doesn't help me with those couple of areas I have that aren't treestand compatible. What is your total cost so far with your set up ????

13-Apr-18
Peterk1234 check your PM'S

13-Apr-18
Dth it's just money!! I'm definitely getting one just for the fact that you can get into basically any tree. I know I'm more comfortable in a stand just because I've been hunting out of stands for so long. But you can't beat the fact that you can hunt out of almost any tree in the saddle.

13-Apr-18
Moons, brother we got the stripers coming soon. Daddy needs a new rod and reel !!!!!! The decisions I have to make are killing me. Lol

13-Apr-18
I'll be hitting the beaches more this year so that calls for a new setup. All my gear is for the canal. Then I need a new setup for sharks off the beach. I am going to target fish over 150 lbs this year and I don't want to take any chances with the gear I have. It works but I would hate to snap a 400 dollar rod in half !!!! So between those two setups I am out 1300.

If I can cut one less hockey tournament for the boy and one less dance competition out of state for the little one I am golden.

13-Apr-18
Ahhhh... I got a brand new canal setup coming my way. By the moon tide in May. My buddy broke my setup down there last year so he's about 600 in the hole.... you can use it, but you break it... you buy it!!!

We gotta hook up for a shark outing.. very interested... you can blind fold me, I understand!

13-Apr-18
Don't rule out a sitdrag and rock climbing harness. The two cost me $70. Then it is just the cost of some rope. I highly recommend getting two Ropeman 1s, regardless of what you end up with for a saddle. One for the tether and one for the linemans belt. It is a game changer.

13-Apr-18
Def moons. I hopefully will have deanman with me down sharking at least once. Great guy and fun to fish with. Nothing beats the quiet beach with a fire and cocktails with some venison on the grill. Lots of stars and the waves crashing the beach. A lot different than the combat zone called the canal. I will have a couple setups for sharks so you will have a rod to use. Think the heaviest setup for the canal and then go heavier. Hahahha

13-Apr-18
Pete. Now that sounds a little more affordable. Any idea how they compare in comfort to the kestrel ??? I might still go with the kestrel but if I can get comparable comfort and quality for a third the price. I am in. Don't know why I am trying to cheap out I never do on anything else. Hahahha

13-Apr-18
I like quiet beaches, cocktails, venison, and sharks!

13-Apr-18
I like quiet beaches, cocktails, venison, and sharks!

13-Apr-18
Ok I bit......... Kestral ordered and 2 Ropeman 1's. No platform yet. undecided as of yet. Kestral's backordered till the end of the month. I'm filming and anything to lighten the load is gotta be great. If it works for me it will lighten my gear by 20lbs. gonna climb with lone wolf sticks. Hope it works, If not somebodies gettin a great deal on a tree saddle and all the accessories. I'm into it for about $480 bucks so far and still don't have a platform, or rope bags and not sure what else I need till I get the saddle kit.

14-Apr-18
I find it plenty comfortable. It is only a sling so you will not have the adjustments of a Kestrel. I believe with the Kestrel you can adjust how much pressure you want on your legs. Sitdrag is more for leaning, although I can sit in mine fine. The key is to figure out the right bridge and tether lengths. But do not go by me. I way less than 170 lbs, so that I am sure makes a difference.

14-Apr-18
Wow moons. We just turned this thread into a dating website !!!! Let's do it this year. I think we can both get a couple of nights to meet and catch some fish.

14-Apr-18
You know variety is great. Right on this web site, if you don’t like the dating thread, you can go look at the fashion thread.

14-Apr-18
Here’s another incentive to have a mobile setup, regardless of the details: installing and removing fixed stands is a nightmare, particularly if you’re well into middle age and maybe slightly chubby. You can easily imagine how I know this.

14-Apr-18
Just ordered my platform. 75 bucks with shipping. Hey this saddle thing is gettin expensive. Good thing I got more money than brains. Up to $550 so far and I aint even left the ground. Bought the silent approach saddle platform from Bullman outdoors. Watch for a good deal on all this stuff when I figure out it won't work for filming.

14-Apr-18
Just shoot me a PM drslyr !!! I do hope it works out for you though

14-Apr-18
Peter, Did you do any comparison of ropeman 1 vs 2 ? I bought a 2 and am just waiting on the rope to put a linesman belt together. The 2 looked grippier with the teeth vs the ridges on the ropeman 1. The rope I ordered has a tough shell so I'm hoping long term durability won't be a problem.

14-Apr-18
The problem with the ropeman2 is that it tends to chew up your rope. Many guys complained about it.

15-Apr-18
I watched a you tube video from DIY Sportsman, very squared away guy and he had been using a ropeman 2 on his linesmans belt for two years with no wear at all so I took that route. If it shows excessive wear I'll have to switch over to the 1. Are you happy with how the ropeman 1 functions, i.e. no slippage?

15-Apr-18
Zero slippage. I have it on the lineman and tether. It has been getting a ton of use on the lineman since I am practicing almost every day :)

15-Apr-18
Good info, thanks. I'll give you an update on the 2 once I get all the components and put it to use.

15-Apr-18
I forgot about my climbing sticks to get up the tree. 4 Lone wolf sticks ..,,,, 200 that makes the saddle thing go to 750 so far and I don’t have any storage bags yet. But this is all commercially bought products. I assume you could go cheaper making some of the items yourself. I’m keeping track just to get a full on cost of this apparatus. I have the wheels turning on making a real long tree tether so you can swing down on the deer with a quick release so you can jump on his back and wrastle him down eliminating the need for a bow.

15-Apr-18
The way you shoot John I don't think there will be a need to wrastle him to the ground. I am pretty sure he is dead even before you release the arrow !!! You and eastie are animals !! Very impressive groups at the modest range of 75 yds.

16-Apr-18
Thanks DFA,when my bow isn't blowing up in my face I'm an ok shot! Lol. After shooting for awhile now I'm pretty sure the cause was my lanyard with my club badge somehow getting caught up in the works on the draw. So just a public service announcement, watch those lanyards, or anything else that may get caught up. I've started to do a quick check of the cams and cables after drawing, before I settle in to my anchor points. I think any set up can sure get expensive, those manufactured saddles were awesome, but just not in the budget this year. I think I spent around 100 bucks with the sit and drag climbing harness set up, the muddy aerolite sticks run around 130, so overall not to bad. The one thing I really like about this setup is the harness and saddle are independent of eachother, although I'm curious if comfort will become an issue on long sits. Can't wait to hear everyone's results come the fall!

16-Apr-18
So I have been doing a ton of reading on this subject and have decided to go sit and drag with a RC harness. I have figured out I have 3 spots that stand out as " unhuntable " before. Now I have 0 spots that are unhuntable with this system. I have an old Loc-On windwalker in one of the trees and that thing had to be the most uncomfortable stand in the world. I will try it with the " monkey sling " I am going to buy and see what happens. Got lots of trees to practice with in the backyard and shouldn't take me that long to get back in the swing of things with it. I figured total investment will be 250 which includes steps

16-Apr-18
Guys who have gone the cheaper route here I have a question for you. I have done a lot of looking into a cheaper setup than the kestrel. Going with the sit and drag with a RC harness. I have seen the bridge rope mentioned. People are using amsteel blue for it. Is it the same type as the stuff you can get at West Marine

They have listed the 5/32' amsteel blue AS-78. It has a break strength of 4000 lbs. Can I use this or do I need a climbing rope because it is a different finish or texture ?? What are you using ?

16-Apr-18
Also how about the tether rope ?? Is there a difference in ropes. I don't need any type of locking device slipping because of the finish

16-Apr-18
the diff between the Ropeman 1 and 2 is in the size of rope. ropeman 2 is not rated for the size of rope most of us use as a tether...so if you bought a 2 be careful 99% of the time you want the ropeman1. (says the guy still using prussik loops :)

dth I use the amsteel blue from west marine on my sitdrag. I have a crap load of 9/16 climbing rope from all my life lines...so thats what I use for my tether. and with the kestrel, I bought it with the predator rope that they sell for the bridge. like I said at the gathering..my only complaints are the knots on the bridge....I'd prefer it spliced.

16-Apr-18
What do you mean by the rating on the ropeman 2? I have one and it says right on the side that it handles 8MM - 13 MM. Are you using ropes for the saddle outside of this range?

16-Apr-18
What do you mean by the rating on the ropeman 2? I have one and it says right on the side that it handles 8MM - 13 MM. Are you using ropes for the saddle outside of this range? Just checked at the rei site, the ropeman one handles 10mm - 13MM.

16-Apr-18

Dthfrmabove, Here are some pics of my sit drag.........

16-Apr-18
Pete did you ever do a back support for this rig ???

16-Apr-18
Yes. See the little prusiks on the bridge, they are for the strap. I just grabbed a strap off an old duffle bag and clip it to the prusik knots. That way I can slide it out of the easily.

16-Apr-18
Ok got it !! If I have time tomorrow I am going to go to one of the spots that won't be good for a metal stand and pick out a tree. I am excited to try this again. Especially since it's not going to cost me a ton of money to get into this. Well its will be costly but just as much as a new climber would be. I can justify that. Lol

It seems the most expensive part is the steps.

16-Apr-18
Spend the money guys! On the way home from the Saddle gathering I dropped $600 as a down payment on a Prime Centergy. Then this past weekend I finally bought my 25' Grady White home from the shop: Entire transom rebuilt, floor stringers, fuel tanks, every thru-hull, new salt water wash down - I can't even begin to tell you how much I spent. It's only money!

17-Apr-18
Hmm.... fund the 401k or buy a saddle. Is there really any question? You're actually doing your family a favor by purchasing a saddle. It's much cheaper than buying 30 hang on stands :)

17-Apr-18

17-Apr-18
Awesome to hear you did it on the Bow MRW! Enjoy it... and the boat.

17-Apr-18
sorry Hunterma...I flipped it...."Also the ropeman2 is rated for thinner rope, you just need to use a rope with a hard jacket so it won't eat it up." from saddlehunter. apparently it has more aggressive teeth and will chew up ropes....

17-Apr-18
The rope I ordered is supposed to have a tough shell, I'll advise back once I have a chance to field test it, thanks for the info.

19-Apr-18
Well going to pull the plug on a kestrel fully set up !!! It's only money !!! Lol

19-Apr-18
Nice Dth! Hopefully yours gets to you more quickly than mine is taking. Shipped from aerohunter March 28th. USPS claims they couldn't find our address for this particular package, but they seem to have no problem with the rest of our mail!? So they shipped it back to aerohunter, but they still haven't received it back at their location yet. Our tax dollars hard at work!

19-Apr-18
It's amazing they can find the house for the stuff that you don't really want but when you are looking forward to something they screw it up !!!

20-Apr-18
Yup My Kestral is due to ship at the end of April. Just in time for turkey saddle hunting. Gotta love UPS. Just to notify you we will be delivering your package between 1pm and 3pm with a signature required. Whadaya think nobody works. Iv'e started having things delivered to my work. At least there's someone there to receive it and UPS delivers to businesses first before residential.

23-Apr-18
finally joined the modern age, well not with my bow choice lol...but finally ordered 2 Ropeman 1's. should be here in a week.

23-Apr-18

My latest mod for my platform. I sewed on a hook on my ratchet strap so I don't have to thread the strap through the little slot in the dark. Works awesome. I have also been testing the Steps as a platform. I can set three of them up around a tree easily now. I'm torn as to which platform I like better. The strap system is faster for sure. Both are comfortable. The steps allow for more positions with the feet though.

23-Apr-18

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Is this what they look like Hickstick

27-Apr-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
Just got this in from Amazon. 11mm static rope x 120 feet....wicked cheap. But now I know why LOL. It was "grab bag" meaning no color choice.

Guess I need to try out that dyemore Rit dye and see how it goes. Lol....

Guess it would be good for shotgun season. :)

29-Apr-18
According to Areo hunter my brand new Kestral should be arriving by no later than8 pm mon night

30-Apr-18
Peter, I'm trying to wrap my head around the saddle process and need a clarification of something. You mention being able to utilize trees having more branches than those normally used with a climber. To do so with the saddle do you bring along an extra lineman's belt so that you can hook up the second one above the offending branch and then disconnect your first belt? Hope this question makes sense. That's the only way I can picture being able to safely climb above an obstructing branch. If this is the method does it work fairly quickly? Thanks in advance

30-Apr-18

peterk1234's Link
Yes. I have a second linemans belt that is just a 1/8 inch thick amsteel whoopie sling. I have it hooked on the same carabiner as the main one, and it is in the same stuff sack as well. You will see me use it in the video link at around the 2:30 mark. It is really light and very packable. Perfect in a pinch.

30-Apr-18

This is the whoopie used for an aider. The lineman is basically the same, except for the webbing and tape that is used here for my foot.
This is the whoopie used for an aider. The lineman is basically the same, except for the webbing and tape that is used here for my foot.
Here are a couple of my whoopie slings made of amsteel. The top one will be used to hang my gear on the tree. I have three. One for a spare linemans, one for hanging gear, and a final that is used as an aider if my other aiders fail me for some reason (bottom pic). They are rated for like 2000 pounds, maybe more.

04-May-18
Well, I'm glad to announce I am the proud owner of a saddle, finally! It was shipped 2 day priority via USPS on March 28th!! And it arrived today, May 4th. Better late than never I suppose. Stoked to get it up in a tree!

14-May-18
Damn, this got complicated. I have hunted from a Greens tree saddle for a decade. I don’t use their supplies strap, I use a thick rope and prussic for hanging, and 2 lineman’s ropes with prussic for navigating around branches.

On properties with permission for tree steps I use those. I have hunted some trees like this for a decade.

I also use LW sticks and a lone wolf assassin (which is the best platform for the saddle).

14-May-18
what did you use with the greens?

some use screwin steps

some use SteppLadder steps

Some use a ratchet strap with 4 or 5 special steps

some use a home made platform made from the seat of either a Lone Wolf or XOP hang on stand (mounted to an aluminum tube.)

I have done the screw in steps, top step of my Leverage climbing sticks, and just got a set of Steppladder steps right athte end of the season so I didn't get a chance to hunt out of them yet. I like the Steppladder steps because they take a crazy amount of lateral torque and there is more surface area to but your foot on verses the screw in steps. a full platform just seems to over-complicate and order weight the whole thing.

14-May-18
My favorite tree has no artificial steps or platform. I use the existing branches 30’ up. In fact, I killed 2 bucks last day of archery in tree.

When I use a platform the lone wolf assassin is what I prefer. Light, quite, small and safe. When set using the “cam lock” technique it is extremely stabled even when you swing behind it.

I have and old amistep strap on step with 4 additional steps that can used as a platform. I don’t love it.

I have also tried just the lone wolf and/or muddy steps. Underwhelmed.

• Sitka Gear