xtroutx 15-Apr-18
Pete-pec 15-Apr-18
Sam I Am 15-Apr-18
Missouribreaks 15-Apr-18
Duke 16-Apr-18
14-Apr-18

ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
Just bragging a bit, my youngest daughter was brave enough to go out this morning. Shotgun kill, first turkey for her. Jake

Anyone else ????

14-Apr-18
WAY TO GO. NICE BIRD

14-Apr-18
Congrats on the bird!

Grandson is out this morning.

14-Apr-18
Elk..... how far of a shot ??? The smile on here face is priceless. So cool. I think next year my granddaughter.

14-Apr-18
Buck, about 18 yards. She was pretty excited and i was shakin' too! Always do with the kids. For a great time take a kid out hunting every chance you can.

14-Apr-18
Way to go!!

14-Apr-18
My son has the lisc., 40 mph winds, snow blind, maybe next time.

14-Apr-18
That's freaking awesome. Most supposedly hardcore hunting adults wouldn't have the drive to go in this weather. This hunt will stick with her more than if it was 60 and sunny. Great job Dad, and to the young huntress.

14-Apr-18
Its driving my nephews nuts (same age) because they didn't go out. I just woke her up so she could decide if she wanted to go and there was a bit of a weather lull at the moment but it was windy! Even heard some gobbles this morning. Two jakes came to decoy and we had to wait for them to move apart before shooting. I have 3 short daughters blowing holes in that blind right at bottom of screens.

14-Apr-18
Elk... how much snow you have now. what area you in.

14-Apr-18
Buck, only about 3 inches now but its hard to tell its blowing sideways. Marquette Co.

Power outages in area too, going to be an interesting next 24 hours.

14-Apr-18
Elk- congrats! I thought it would be virtually impossible but my buddy was knocking on my door this morning. Both his sons shot toms at 655. They gobbled at 15 yds and they couldnt hear them because of the wind.

14-Apr-18
Elk, congrats to you and your daughter! I sat with a buddies son today for a little under 5 hours and we never saw a turkey.

14-Apr-18
Congrats, always great to see a smile like that on a kids face.

14-Apr-18
Congrats to the successful (and dedicated) hunters! 14 inches in my area today. Can't imagine many were out there today. More power to those who were, however.

15-Apr-18
This is a classic showing of the tenacity of our youth hunters!

It's been said that the youth hunt "coddles" the young hunter allowing them to hunt in such favorable conditions that it's almost an unrealistic hunt! Really?

Proofs in the pudding - Congratulations to those young hunters!

Thank you to the Parents and mentors that took the time to make it happen!

15-Apr-18
Pat, one post of a youth being successful is not enough proof to me? While on Facebook, I saw too many cases to count, that proved the tenacity of the mentors, and the kids who chose not to hunt, that the youth hunt will be one of the lowest harvests in history. Yes, weather a huge contributor, but sleeping in, won't kill a bird for sure! Way too many posts proving to me, that many skipped the hunt altogether, and hoping for better weather during the season they actually drew.

I took advantage of several youth hunts with friends and family, but it did nothing for recruitment, that their regular season could not have done. I'm not anti youth season by any measure, I just firmly believe it does nothing to recruit new hunters.

Congratulations on the young huntress!

15-Apr-18
"While on Facebook, I saw too many cases to count, that proved the tenacity of the mentors, and the kids who chose not to hunt, that the youth hunt will be one of the lowest harvests in history." Pete, seriously? Take a look at any WI deer hunt that has terrible weather on opening weekend or any other time period and you will see a decline in participation. That is a human thing, not a youth thing.

15-Apr-18
Captain, if you are going to quote me, at least read your quote? I specifically mention the tenacity of the mentors as well as the youth.

I have to ask what "Pete seriously" could even mean? Yeah, seriously I agree that it's a human thing.....and yes, kids are part of that human I describe lol. I also want to add that there are many factors that show a steady decline in hunter recruitment. I for one believe that our own "adult" self imposed restrictions we set upon ourselves, are the guilt that many kids don't want to harbor. In my youth, brown it's down was the norm, and people were damn proud of anything they killed. They hunted for flesh, not horn, and with one working patriarch, we had a different value toward deer. It was the meat it provided, and a yearling 6 pointer was a trophy. With today's hunter, and social media, many people are embarrassed to post a deer of that caliber, for fear of retribution from their peers. The same argument that I say about the youth hunt or mentorship program not recruiting new hunters, is argued by some. That same person might insist that the crossbow however does nothing to recruit? I say both do nothing, because if you read your quote, I agree with you in the respect, that it's a "human" thing. A human thing with a shit-ton of contributing factors that keep people from joining in on the fun. Hell, many here are equally to blame, by belittling another person's LEGAL method of hunting. Add the fact that we are in a technology age, both parents work, and food comes from a store, trophies are predominately horns versus flesh, kids are just plain busier, we as a people are more civilized, and the list is long.

My point truly is, that I most certainly don't oppose the youth hunt, but at the same time, it's unnecessary for recruitment, just like you might say the crossbow is? I've said it more than once. If it's legal, we shouldn't beat up our fellow hunters, but we happen to be some of our own worst enemies.

You must understand that this comes from someone who's an active participating mentor, who cannot find a kid who wants to learn.....or decides that hunting takes precedence over their current lifestyle.

And Elk, I apologize for derailing the thread. I was replying to Pat who believes otherwise, and personally, I think he's waaay off the mark.

Once again, congratulations to your daughter, and great job doing your part sharing your passion. I only hope for you, that she sticks with it, as she gets older, and much busier. My two kids did not, and they were both extremely successful, and have access to incredible private property, and have a mentor who loves to teach, share, and reinforce his own passion in a fun manner. Disappointed they don't hunt? Understatement!

15-Apr-18
We took our group out yesterday. We had originally planned it for last weekend but postponed due to the snow depth and weather. Who would have guessed it would be even worse this week. We had 12 hunters and five of them harvested birds. Two others missed birds (twice!). All had a great time, learned new things, and made new friends.

15-Apr-18
Pete, it was your quote, not mine. And, if you read it carefully, the way you wrote it was convoluted. Tenacity; "the quality or fact of being very determined; determination." In effect, you noted the tenacity of mentors, then with a comma separating it, you mention the kids who chose not to hunt. I don't think there was any misunderstanding from me based on how it was written, rather I don't think you did a good job of saying what you meant. In any case, of course youths are humans also. Not sure why that even needs be said.

Lastly, and as you acknowledge, you came to this thread to inject an opinion that has nothing to do with a guy proudly talking about his child's accomplishment.

15-Apr-18
LOL!

15-Apr-18
Pete, not at all worried about any derailment was almost expected to tell the truth. However i would agree with BT. My daughters are serious huntresses! Never are they just the "trigger person". Thy hang stands, blood trail, practice shooting, place bait for their own bear hunting ect..... And none of them has expressed any interest in a crossgun!!

Dont worry guys, im not worried of some banter that is always part of any controversial topic.

Carry on

15-Apr-18
Good for you Elk, glad to see they do their part and enjoy it. I really dont see it as controversial at all. I think it is a great thing for our youth.

15-Apr-18
Cool. Consider yourself lucky. Sounds like great kid, and I'm a bit jealous.

15-Apr-18
Happy for you both - Still remember both of my kids first turkey hunts. My son's first was in a driving snow storm similar to what the kids had this year

15-Apr-18
Congratulations to both of you, nice job!

16-Apr-18

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
It was an interesting morning both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we had a good mess of birds roosted only about 150 yards from where we set up. Some roost gobbling, but very little. The birds pitched down like normal and then proceeded to huddle up under some pines about 50 yards from us with a few toms just strutting in a circle from 7 until 10 when we ended up pulling out with cold fingers.

Reset blind after shoveling snow for Sunday and saw 7 hens and a Jake. The birds had snow half way up them as they reluctantly plowed through snow.

We had a great weekend and made a real mission out of it!

Used a primos shooting stick propt up on a blind chair to relieve pressure from blind and it worked perfect. I think both mornings there was 50 lbs plus of snow on it! Things gotta get better soon!!!

• Sitka Gear