SW wis
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
breitn 14-Apr-18
Drop Tine 14-Apr-18
ground hunter 15-Apr-18
Firsty 15-Apr-18
14-Apr-18
Hey guys. How hard does the public in the SW part of the state get hunted? I hunt near Madison and was looking for a bit of an adventure for a weekend. Thanks.

14-Apr-18
Any public in the southern 1/2 of the state gets hunted pretty hard.

Before the internet and the DNR publicizing public area I could find little gems here and there. Not anymore.

You’re better off heading north where there is more public land.

15-Apr-18
I disagree, and I will tell you why,,,,,, Disclaimer,,,,, I nwo have 64 acres of private land to hunt near Hillsboro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, public areas there do exist, under a few programs,,, you have to search them out,,,, However, if your looking for good size bucks, obviously this area, is going to beat the north, any day of the week, however again, you will not have the amount of land to hunt, that you do in the north.....................

I agree with DT, the internet and the DNR, has made it easier, that is for sure, but still I only see the trucks, on the bigger parcels,,,,,, also this is prime area to ground hunt, just walking, during the rut........

I have taken nice bucks, off as little as 10 acres,,,, land that most would not even look at, but it is squeezed in among private, and along the driftless streams..... I have watched a lot of fishermen, occasionaly walk by me, mostly fly fishermen, in restricted areas, for fishing, but the deer do not know that.............

Hunting Hill country is completely different, than hunting the big woods of the north.....

If I was in Madison, another county I would spend time hunting is Columbia, and again you will find public, that a lot of guys will not hunt, but I would,,,,,, good luck

15-Apr-18
Well I would definitely check out the public and open mfl land around Hillsboro!

• Sitka Gear