Glunt@work 15-Apr-18
Cazador 15-Apr-18
jims 15-Apr-18
altitude sick 04-May-18
Donnybowhunter 04-May-18
Glunt@work 04-May-18
Retired-11-2000 05-May-18
14-Apr-18
I will be drawing unit 61 archery this year as a resident. If anyone would like to share info from past hunts, please feel free to PM me. I'd like to get a few out of the way places/starting points to avoid stepping on other people that will surely draw this year.

15-Apr-18
Caz out of the way places in 61 involve packing an elk steep uphill for a long ways.

When you get back in the states I have my maps and some waypoints that will give you what you need with a downhill pack out.

15-Apr-18
You will most likely be very disappointed.

15-Apr-18
Pop-r...why?

15-Apr-18
A lot of poor reports from last year. Hopefully it will be better this year.

15-Apr-18
Disappointment comes from expectations not being met. I am guessing Caz had expectations pretty close to realistic before applying. I'll send a PM when I get a chance but we hunted close to access.

15-Apr-18
Keep it coming guys appreciate it all.

Chad i will give you a call.

My goals are pretty simple. Hear a ton of bugling and be in the middle of it.

Not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, but I'd like to take a 6x6 P&Y class bull closer to 300 the better.

15-Apr-18
You may do a search on this and other websites. I know several guys that were disappointed this year after waiting so long to draw tags. One guy hired a guide and hunted private land and was sorely disappointed with the quality of bulls he saw. From his and other hunter's comments it sounded like quality has gone down in recent years. Several guys mentioned the decrease in quality bulls may have been a result of the new early rifle season that was added.

It sounds like you have set realistic goals. You may not see many 340+ bulls but I would think hearing bulls bugling and a 6x6 300 class bull would be a real possibility especially if you hunt hard and put in lots of time and boot leather on the ground. Get your legs, lungs, and bow ready for a great hunt and it will happen!

04-May-18
61 has a ton of 300” bulls, 320” is a good one there. 340” and larger are rare. Unit 20 has more above average bulls than most units. And for half or a third of the points. But of course most bulls are on private land. Many of those bulls came through Govt land to get to private land. It is very weather dependent though. So a DIY is doable. Chasing points for Deer and elk in Colorado is a huge waste of effort and money. It’s a state where we should hunt every year build points for 2-10 years while appling in the trophy states for mature animals.

04-May-18
Hello point creep..

04-May-18
PM sent. Your goals are a good match for 61.

05-May-18
Should draw 61 elk first Rifle this year . Gave up on bow a few yrs back due to my age. Will be 73 this Oct. Still can get away from The crowds . Also have son in law to help pack out. Never hunted 61.

• Sitka Gear