Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
peterk1234 15-Apr-18
Dthfrmabove 15-Apr-18
Will 15-Apr-18
drslyr 15-Apr-18
BQP 15-Apr-18
15-Apr-18
Good morning everyone. It has been years since I have fished the res. Heck, it has been years since I have fished. My favorite type of fishing is at the Canal, at night, throwing heavy jigs into the currents. However, after hearing about the shit show that is the canal these days, I have little desire to go there.

I live two minutes from the res. I was thinking to myself that it would be fun to have a set up that could throw 3/4 ounce (or so) spoons and jigs a country mile. I prefer bait casting reels without a line guide. The rod I have used for years at the canal was pretty long, about 11 feet. It was nothing special, one of the less expensive rods that Redtop used to sell. Medium to fast action and strong as hell.

Anybody using a fairly long rod to toss lures? What would be a reasonable setup? I was thinking a ten footer, not sure what is a good freshwater baitcasting reel. I would spool it with 30lb braid with a floro leader. Pete

15-Apr-18
Pete I lived across from the res for years and fished it more than I should have !!! 8 foot rod at the longest not much room to cast in some of the areas especially early season when the water is high. With no more than 12 lb braid. These fish aren't big normal size is a couple pounds. Rod needs to be capable of throwing between 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz. if a bait and wait setup get something you can throw up to 3 oz.

15-Apr-18
Pete - I fly fish it now some times, and it's ok, but funky casting.

In the past, I used a 7'6" medium action bass rod with a casting reel with 12# mono or flouro and could launch a spoon like a kastmaster for jigging or retrieving a country mile with that set up. It felt like I could chuck it half way to the causeway from the stone church for example.

I think a modest set up like that would allow you to play longball anywhere on the res if you are tossing metal.

15-Apr-18
Ifin you want I’ll take ya laker fishin at the big lady

15-Apr-18
ugly stick elite rods are worth a look. think mines 8'6" heavy spinning. durable affordable rod with a nice sensitive tip. does a good job slinging metal. I recently just tried some line called gliss. stuff is super smooth and casts really good. hard to find in stores though, I ordered mine.

• Sitka Gear