Drop Tine 16-Apr-18
Glunker 16-Apr-18
Naturelives 16-Apr-18
Inmyelement 16-Apr-18
B2K 16-Apr-18
RUGER1022 16-Apr-18
Swampy 17-Apr-18
15-Apr-18
I’ve seen hundreds of references that people that use crossbows are taking the easy way out.

So I’ll ask why do you use a compound? There are only a couple trad. hunters here and kudos to them.

15-Apr-18
I shoot one, because it was the natural progression of modern man. Similar to today's car, versus the Model A. I started with traditional, but every improvement I made, made the hunt easier. Wood arrows to aluminum, to carbon. Bear broadheads to satellites, to today's modern broadheads, the recurve to a compound with 50% let off to today's bow at 80%. From a tab, to a glove, to a plastic release, to a release that costs 120 bucks. A bow that shot under 200 fps, to one that's 300. Hunted from a tree, to ladder stands, simple plaid clothes to expensive, warm camo. Guessing distances to using a range finder. Could I go on?

I understand your argument, and I agree with you. We somehow embrace the modern vertical bow, and shun the crossbow. No, it's not a crossgun. It resembles a bow far more than a gun. Does it have a trigger? Yep, the same with my release. Does it shoot with superior accuracy compared to the modern bow? Sure, but depending on the shooter, you are just as deadly at 40 yards as the crossbow, and that CAN NOT be said about most traditional bows using the trad versus compound comparison.

Do I shoot a crossbow? Nope, and hope I never need to. Why? Because my vertical modern compound from an elevated position, is in my opinion the better choice. Crossbows are bulky, and I'm not a fan.

I can truly only think of one good reason why I don't necessarily love them. That's my fear that the season structure for archers may be changed. Maybe one buck per season, shorter season etc. But ultimately it's out of greed.

I'm a supporter of all legal means of hunting, even when they're shoved down my throat, because that's what is in the best interest of ALL hunters. I may not like it, approve of it, hunt that way, etc., but I feel it's not healthy to beat people down for their choices. That doesn't mean I'm not passionate about things in our current state of rules, because I am, but I can and do have the capacity to look at things honestly, using science or thinking about the opposing viewpoints. Often people are so passionate, they only see or read what they want to based on their own beliefs, that they think are "just the way it should be". I wasn't always that guy, and yes I fall to that level, but as I age, I can listen more, weigh all the factors, and nod my head when someone else's point of view has some merit.

15-Apr-18
I shoot a compound because I love bowhunting. Hunting with a shoulder fired xgun would make me feel like I was cheating or disabled. It blows my mind and I will never understand guys who claim they are hard core bowhunters are ok with a superior weapon included in our archery season. They obviously don't know the history of the bow and arrow. The xgun #s have increased dramatically and with no changes, archery is doomed.

15-Apr-18
I started shooting with a Bear recurve my uncle gave me when I was 10. I shot that for a few years and was pretty good with it. My uncle who was also my hunting mentor was really into compounds and archery shoots. This was back in the early 80's and I had worked a paper route for 2 years to buy my first bow. Everyone convinced me a compound was the way to go. I just stayed with compounds from then on until I got the trad bug in 2008. I had been dealing with chronic neck issues and had my first surgery that year. I could shoot the trad bows I had fine but not more than 15 arrows or so before my neck got really sore. I don't have this issue with compounds and attribute it to let off or lack there of with trad bows. Since 08 I have had other procedures done on my neck and in fact go in for another next Tuesday. I can still shoot compounds with relative ease albeit at much lower weight than even 5 years ago. Two of my doctors have tried to get me to switch to a crossbow numerous times. I won't unless I can't draw a bow.

So is the compound easier for me, yes. But I love the simplicity and beauty of trad bows. I would love to be shooting traditional equipment. But I experience a lot of pain, even with low DW bows. I don't get why as I don't anchor very long, so I'm not holding the weight long. Is it a puss out, maybe. But this chronic neck/migraine crap has affected a lot of stuff in my life. Sorry for the long explanation but you kind of asked for it;)

15-Apr-18
When I seriously stared bowhunting in the seventies compounds were already available and that is what I purchased, cheap and crude, but was what I could afford. Today my bow is much more advanced but still a challenge. We had a crossbow at deer camp when I was a teen and thought "how cool would that be if you could hunt with this", Then I grew up and realized why I hunt with a bow in the first place. Anyone that compares the 2 as equal is lying to themsevles. They were not equal then and are not equal now. As of 2002 , to this day, I qualified to use a crossbow. Never have. No challenge in it. I get busted all the time trying to draw. My yardage is limited drastically, due to the fact I can only draw about 45#. This makes it up close and personal for me, which is the way I like it. I was never around trad guys but I do respect what they do, not so much for a xgun guy.

15-Apr-18
I like shooting my compound because its fun tinkering with it and trying to become better shooting it. I like the idea of sights when a shot is slow developing. I've shot traditional, built my own traditional and killed many animals with them. Shooting traditional, I also seen improvements in the bows/materials they are made of to become more efficient. I've had my compound on a hunt and think I would've been better off with a recurve because of a fast developing shot and the recurve would've been quicker into action. Traditional you need to practice more, however I shoot my compound almost daily. I think the use of a release is a greater benefit in my accuracy with a compound than the actual let-off.

15-Apr-18
Will , you are trying to support Crossbows again by using backdoor tactics . Why ? Do you think the people on this site are that dumb ??

15-Apr-18
No Glenn, just trying to get a better understanding of the thought process of the guys here at Bowsite WI.

I mean they condemn people that use crossbows because they are easy and cheating. But at the same time use a weapon that is also easier than traditional equipment.

I don’t know this as fact but I’m pretty sure the long season length was established well before the invention of the compound. Is the compound and modern crossbow the AR-15 of the archery world and our founders couldn’t fathom the technology advancements we enjoy today?

I was hoping to keep this thread clean and the bantering to all the “other” threads.

15-Apr-18
Access. When I started hunting could not find any decent archery equipment. I bought my glow in the dark 45 pound recurve, 3 cedar Fred Bear tipped arrows for $10.00. No help or assistance. 1976 bought a PSE Pacer 60 pound, flipper rest, four bar sight. I was 16 seemed logical. Needed the meat to feed the family. Been using one ever since. Still due. My wife wishes she could, had two rotator cuffs done. 60% recovery in both. Therapy, recovery, weights, stretching can't draw any bow. I have to cock her crossbow. She picked up a cross bow hit the bullseye first shot 20 yds, 30 yds, 50 yds. 3 shots 3 bulls eyes.. She hates it. No challenge, loud, cumbersome, but loves to fall hunt. Would go vertical in a minute if she could. And yes your bating us.

15-Apr-18
I do not shoot a compound, only selfbows.

15-Apr-18
If you couldn't understand why we are passionate about bow hunting and archery, your getting some good examples in this thread. Now add a totally different weapon to the season and wonder why we are upset? Hmmm I wonder.

16-Apr-18
Why did some of us go back to a recurve/longbow?

16-Apr-18
I started in archery as a young kid in the middle of the last century...lol.

In 1977, my wife gave me my first compound for Christmas. It was different, and fun. I spent the next 10 years being a PSE guy, shooting a LOT, hunting hard, and attending outdoor & indoor shoots year 'round with a cadre of like-minded buddies.

But, the gang broke up, and I got the itch to return to my roots of "traditional archery" (I hate that term...lol). So, in the mid '80's I traded with my old boss and mentor for a Black Widow recurve...60lbs.

I loved the challenge, but had some work ahead of me from my 10 year sabbatical with compounds. Make no mistake...stickbows are deadly weapons if one takes the time and effort to become truly proficient with them. I did, and am.

I have been forced by father time to drop from 70 - 80lb recurves and Hill style longbows to mid 50's...now shooting two customs, both WhippenSticks built by a fantastic bowyer here in Wisconsin...a 52lb takedown recurve, and 53lb RD longbow. Unfortunately, Ken got out of the bow business, but remains a friend.

My son also got into trad a couple years ago, and got the last bow Ken made. He's now 30, a damn fine hunter and archer, and has 3 deer under his belt with his Marauder takedown longbow.

I'll admit it...I've no time for crossbows in an "archery season" for able bodied shooters. Those with disabilities, yes. But...that's just my take.

Compounds, no problem. It's a hand drawn, vertical weapon...that's a nut shell description of archery to me.

But...you shoot what you like, and I'll do the same. As hunters/archers, we share a brotherhood...if we could only get out of our own way.

16-Apr-18
As a kid I had a red 25# bear recurve - I remember shooting that in the back yard for hours. When I decided I wanted to hunt I bought a browning compound. No reason other than that is what people were shooting and my brother in law suggested it. Have not switched back and do not intend to. I still shoot every day in my back yard, but my hunting time is limited to a 2 week stint each fall.

16-Apr-18
I shoot all the bows - longbow, recurve, and compound. I started with a compound in 1984 because it represented the bow that was most readily available. I don't remember seeing a recurve or longbow for sale in the department store where I bought my Bear Silver Magnum.

I do not consider the crossbow a bow and believe that its place is for those persons who are disabled and cannot hunt with a firearm. By the way, my mom is 83 and still bow hunts with a Bear compound bow set just below 40 pounds.

16-Apr-18
I started shooting a bow in 1963 that my dad made for me out of a stick and string. Graduated up to a long bow type bow and rubber tips shooting squirrels. From there I was given a fiberglass bow with the rubber grip. Still shooting squirrels and started bowhunting in 1971 where I killed my first deer a spiker that was pure luck. I hit it right where I was looking. No tracking needed and my dad about tipped over on his stool when he seen it drop.

A couple years later the compound came about and I bought a Bear Polar LTD. from then on I just chased the technology buying a new one every 8 years or so.

Now I’m toying with the idea of shooting a deer with my dads old recurve if I can get proficient with it. I used to be a very good instinctive shooter. Not sure I can get that back or not?

16-Apr-18
Arthritis. Both wrists had issues, so I switched to a compound, then had surgery that took away my ability to draw with my fingers. Suppose I could use a release but a release and instinctive shooting are not a great combo. Miss my recurve shooting/hunting.

16-Apr-18
I grew up in a family who didn't hunt so when me and my brother first decided to hunt we started with gun. Only hunted 2-3 days a year during gun season for the first 8 years.

Then 4 years ago right before archery season my neighbor won a xbow and let us use it. We hunted a few times that archery season and I got my first deer but never really got to into it.

One day the next summer when I pulled into a friend's house he was shooting a compound and let me shoot a few times. I loved it and a couple days later I bought a cheap bear bow at Wal Mart. Turns out my brother enjoyed shooting to and bought a compound. Switching from a xbow to a compound changed hunting from something to do a few times a year to an obsession for us.

When I got my first deer with my compound it was a completely different feeling then with the xbow or gun. I think the difference was with the xbow I shot about 10 practice shots total and shot the first deer I saw probably because of my experience with my gun scope. The compound I practiced almost daily, blew a few opportunities and put in a ton more time before getting my first deer.

Everyones different but for me if I wouldn't have gotten a compound I think I would've been just a gun hunter by now. Not because I had anything against crossbows but it just wasn't the same for me.

16-Apr-18
Ease and range. 1 week of practice and I can shoot 30 yards with no problem with my compound. 5 months of shooting my recurve a couple times a week and I'm still limited to 15-20 yards.

16-Apr-18
I prefer the compound over a crossbow as I enjoy watching the flight of the arrow (something that is lost with the crossbow). I choose to shoot a compound as I feel my odds of wounding an animal are much less than having a more primitive weapon in my hands, but I still appreciate the level of challenge that hunting with a vertical bow provides. Therefore, I enjoy the pride I have when I'm successful with my compound and it is always present with me in the harvest pictures. It seems that the majority of successful crossbow hunters are ashamed of their crossbows as they are rarely shown with them in their harvest pictures. I think I'd feel somewhat the same way in that the harvest may have come a little too easy and I just don't want to take that away from myself.

16-Apr-18
I switched to a compound in 1976 & The Alum arrows & sites were in some ways more important than the bow itself .

I had reached a point in life with a wife , children & a 60 hour a week job that prevented me from praticing as much as needed with Trad gear .

As I got older & settled down I started shooting the Super Kodiak , the Grizzley, & the Black Widow .

17-Apr-18
I like hitting what I'm aiming at .

• Sitka Gear