Screwball 15-Apr-18
albino 16-Apr-18
Novice 16-Apr-18
MF 16-Apr-18
buckmaster69 16-Apr-18
Duke 16-Apr-18
Novice 16-Apr-18
15-Apr-18
Have you ever targeted a certain turkey?

15-Apr-18
MF..... I have he's still there. Sees a decoy and goes other direction. Always got bird. But this one been around for a while

15-Apr-18
Yup, but I have only gotten him once. I have hunted a specific bird a half dozen or more times. How do you know it's the same bird some my ask. Three of the times they had notched fans or missing feathers. Two had very specific gobbles, one had a light colored tail fan.

15-Apr-18
The reason why I asked this question is you don't hear to many stories on turkeys like you do whitetails or bears. I have a friend that hunted the same bird on his property for 4 years after he captured it on trail camera (3 beards) he never got that smart bird.

15-Apr-18
Typically no but I've been seeing a giant Tom with a paintbrush beard coming out in our field the last few weeks. Now I'm wondering if this winter wonderland will change his pattern. He's 25+ lbr for sure.

15-Apr-18
Here's the deal on turkeys. You may be after a specific bird, but it's really tough if they don't have very distinguishing coloring, marking, or gobble. I have been sure I have killed a specific bird a few times only to find out I didn't. The only time I will target a specific bird anymore is if one catches my interest on my land. Other than that, I am just as happy with a loud mouthed, triangle spurred two year old.

15-Apr-18
I used to have specific birds that I would try for before I moved. Most were easy to recognize because they stood out for one reason or another. I had a group of 3 Toms that always stayed together that I hunted for 3 years. All 3 were big & one had a double beard. Never did get one of those. I have passed very few Toms as I only bow hunt & usually hunt 5 of the 6 seasons. I have gotten a bird that was on my hit list a few times. Weight doesn't add up much if you are going for score. The first thing I look for is the spurs. Not hard to do if you use trail cams but can be hard to catch when they are in strut. This year I will be in all new spots so any Tom will look real nice to me.

15-Apr-18
Nope, Se Tom Shoot tom, Hopefully. Then eat Tom.

16-Apr-18
Looks like we will be hunting snow birds. I love hunting in bad weather but it is supposed to rain hard Wed. on top of the Snow. Being I am getting old & frail & crippled up I might have to take the day off. I have never done that before. I do hate wet birds & wet blinds that weigh 400 pounds. Plus I have to drive 63 miles to the spot I will be hunting. We will see. Good luck out there all.

16-Apr-18
To answer the original question, a couple of times I have looked for a particular bird. I can't say I've passed up many shots at other Tom's, however if the opportunity arose. I have screwed up by being choosy when more than one came at the same time. As for the weather issue, snow is somewhat of a nemesis the past few years. The couple of areas I have learned these past few years are dependent on true spring and no deep snow. A little is ok or melting of what's left of winter is ok, but by me they do different things during winter and measurable snow. I was ambivalent about hunting birds to begin with this year and this blizzard may have sealed my fate, as my tag is this week. Waste of a days vacation Wednesday I guess. If the young one wants to go on the weekend, I will go for him, though. One of my spots is at least a 1/2 mile (or more) off the road. 30 inches of snow doesn't sound like an appealing trek with blind and bow. The other spot isn't as far, but has been devoid of Turkeys since the first spring snow storm a few weeks ago.

16-Apr-18
We got 15 inches of snow, seen a bunch of hens and 3 Toms all fanned out on the way to my Drs appointment. They sure are beautiful in that snow.

16-Apr-18
Novice u hunting Tigerton area thats what I heard they got. Heading there in morn.

16-Apr-18
Twice. One was a double beard that had my number until he finally made a mistake one of the later days in May. He is now mounted in my living room.

Other bird was a bird that had a real white tipped fan. Could have easily shot him a number of times with a shotgun, but he would never commit or present an open shot with the bow. He lived.

I really enjoyed hunting both birds, but really found myself frustrated and even became pretty irritable those springs. That being said, I don’t know that I’ll necessarily do that again for a while for my family’s sanity.

16-Apr-18
Buckmaster, pretty close. Less than 15 min away. They got pounded.

• Sitka Gear