Jrt8pt 16-Apr-18
Rut Nut 16-Apr-18
Rut Nut 16-Apr-18
Phil Magistro 16-Apr-18
Jrt8pt 16-Apr-18
Bob McArthur 17-Apr-18
Rut Nut 18-Apr-18
16-Apr-18
I live in South East pa I'm looking for some hunting spots for my 12 year old son & I..I know most of this area is private property I'm looking for a few good leads I'm not looking for anyone's spot or to step on anyone's toes..any help would be appreciated

16-Apr-18
I live in Reading and hunt some in 5C. I wish I could give you a good spot to take your son but, after hunting most of my life in western PA, my thoughts are that the public land in this part of the state is tough. Lots of smaller parcels with fields and some woods. On the lands I hunt it's nearly impossible to pattern deer or to find bedding areas since most of them seem to be on private land.

The SGL at French Creek State Park (43) is a more reasonable size. I've not hunted that one. The SGL at Middle Creek (46) is also larger with a more timber and there are a couple more SGLs in that area (156, 145) but that's in 5D.

There are times I go to the Blue Mountain (SGL 110) just to do a lot of hiking but that may not be the best area to take a youngster if you want to see deer.

While I've found the deer hunting to be spotty, despite the high number of deer on private land, this area is a good spot to chase squirrels that will keep his interest.

16-Apr-18
Thank you very much for your input

16-Apr-18
Joe- bring your son to the Annual UBP 5C Hunt this year- it is a great time! Check out the 2 threads I brought to the top.

16-Apr-18
Awesome thank you...how do I get involved or sign up? Do I need to be a member of ubp?

16-Apr-18
I sent you a PM Joe- and yes, this is for UBP members, but we can sign you and your son up on-site or you can do it ahead of time.

16-Apr-18
I should point out that the private farms that we have access to hunt during the UBP 5C Hunt are only open to us for those 3 days. We do not have access to hunt them after Sept 22nd, 2018.

But there are SGL right across the road from the Campground that can be hunted the rest of the season, and usually folks are more than willing to steer you in the right direction.

16-Apr-18
I am very familiar with the SGL there. I've hunted it numerous times including during the 5C hunt. I'll tell you what I know and even show you around.

16-Apr-18
Thank you both very much for all your help..I guess really what I need to do is a lot of foot work this summer

17-Apr-18
JRT8Pt, PM me with your phone number. I live in the Ft. Washington area and may have a lead for you.

18-Apr-18
No problem Joe! I was going to say the 5C hunt is a great way to "network" and meet other hunters in the area and you might even pick up a lead or 2, but I see one of our "regulars" already reached out to you! ;-)

• Sitka Gear